Fruit - to eat or not to eat?

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Hi, I notice that many people training / watching their weight eat very little fruit.

I try to eat at least 2 x pieces a day because a) it is convenient and b) fruit is healthy. I know fruit contains a lot of sugar, albeit natural.

Is eating fruit hindering any progress I am trying to make in terms of weight loss?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think you are the only one who can say if fruit is hindering your own weight loss.

My opinion on fruit in general is that it is a great snack and a great part of a varied diet.
    Like anything else, living entirely on fruit wouldn't be a good thing.... but you aren't doing that so unless you have a specific medical reason to avoid it - no problem!
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If it helps you eat healthy and you feel fine eating it, I wouldn't worry about sugars/carbs from natural fruit sources.
  • samtrois
    samtrois Posts: 27
    Options
    I eat fruit.. I dont worry about sugar(or fat in other foods), just the calories.. the fibre helps keeps me full
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    fruit is awesome
  • SSGirlLV
    SSGirlLV Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree! Fruit (and veggies) should be the bulk of your diet along with lean meats and whole grains. Fruit is natural sugar and so much better for you than any processed sugar. I would just count the calories and not worry about it! They recommend 5 fruits and veggies a day! Just eat it and enjoy!!
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating fruit.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Depends on goals and how quick you want to get there.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I eat about 2 pieces per day usually banana and and orange and I'm losing. Mainly I would be concerned if you're diabetic because even natural fruit sugars affect your blood sugar. If you're seeing results than don't over think it :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think you are the only one who can say if fruit is hindering your own weight loss.
    Except for everyone who knows that would be silly.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Can we stop saying this? I don't know anyone who got fat from eating any one single food. This is meaningless.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Balance good. 5 portions fruit & veg a day good for you. All the different colours!! I notice that my USA friends do not seem to have this advice but in the UK it is very much advised!!
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE watermelon n now I c how many carbs r in it I'm freaking out, but oh well better that then ice cream right?
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I started this in February and lost 19 pounds and I eat at least one piece of fruit most days and just recently started eating 2 some days and it hasn't caused me any problems.
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE watermelon n now I c how many carbs r in it I'm freaking out, but oh well better that then ice cream right?

I could definitely polish off an entire watermelon myself. It's so yummy. I've never even thought about carbs in it. Fruit=good. Except bananas - eat in moderation. Melons, apples, oranges, grapes.... etc... All good for you.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Can we stop saying this? I don't know anyone who got fat from eating any one single food. This is meaningless.

u mad?
    Try posting something relevant yourself/less negative wetnacyblanket.

No really. By the time you get 'engorged/stuffed' on fruit, it'd be near impossible to really see extreme weight gain from it between the fiber and sheer quantity of the food itself. Seriously can you imagine eating 2000 calories of just fruit in a day? That would be insane quantities,

Fruit's good, raw, fresh- not stored in cans with syrups or sugar additives.

There are things out there that say eating particular fruits will 'stop your body from metabolizing effectively' as well as 'metabolism boosting' fruits. Up to you to research/care about that- I just like good fruit.

I buy whats local/in season for my area because it generally tastes better, and is cheaper over all.

I don't know what kind of diets or people you are watching that aren't 'eating much fruit', but there are even fruits out there that are good for weight training and cellular repair (of course most people will say, red meat too).
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I still dont understand why people freak about fruit. You would have to be eating a hell of a lot fo fruit to be making a huge difference to your weight.

I eat a ridiculous amount of fruit, apples, all types of melon, pineapple, kiwis, berries, i just limit the amount of bananas i have. I can honestly say i do not put on weight from fruit.....the full fat yogurt and granola i seve with the fruit is where the problem lies ;)

Now go eat some fruit!! :)
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I always looked at it like I'd rather get my sugar fix from an apple and raspberries then from a giant bowl of haagen daz. (Of course, I still make room for the ice cream every once in a while, just in the correct sizes.)
  • RF3377
    RF3377 Posts: 97
    Options
    I eat at least 3 pieces of fruit a day! I've always loved fruit which is a good thing i'd assume lol
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana and an apple every day. Some days I add servings of grapes, blueberries, oranges, grapefruit, etc. and have 3 or 4 servings of fruit. Has had no negative effect on my weight loss goals....
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit. I eat strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, red grapes, cantelope and the occasional banana. I've lost 20 pounds since March 19th. I've lost 10.5 inches. I eat fruit.