Fruit - to eat or not to eat?

Options

Replies

• debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    actually our body does not know or care whether the sugar came from fruit or a candy bar. sugar is sugar.

Not entirely true. Fructose (sugar from fruit) and Sucrose (white sugar, usually in candy bars) do have some differences, including the insulin response in our body.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/311336-fructose-vs-sucrose/

Sucrose molecules are actually comprised of 50/50 glucose AND fructose. Sucrose is better for you since it contains glucose, which is essential for your cells for energy. Fructose in and of itself isn't bad (otherwise sucrose would be discouraged), it's when we consume high amounts of fructose compared to glucose. Your body processes fructose differently than glucose. It can't use fructose to make glycogen, which is what your muscles use for energy. Overall, however, yes, sucrose is the way to go. Another fantastic reason to avoid foods containing high fructose corn syrup, for those of you who think "sugar is sugar".
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, fruit is fine for you. And regardless, it's better for you than candy.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I don't eat fruit at all, too much sugar. If you are concerned about progress, try limiting it to pre and post workout only.
  • nucreeman
    nucreeman Posts: 40
    Options
    Fruit has been beneficial to me, because the fiber feels me up and cleanses me out, so I don't have junk hanging around in my body. I say yes to the fruit.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    fruit is awesome

Yup.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating fruit.

This. Unless they're going way over their calories, I don't know how somebody could get fat from eating fruit.
  • raquel_soto
    raquel_soto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It never hindered my progress and I went from a 12 to a 6 in 3 months.

I go through cycles though; I eat a lot of it, then not as much, then eat a lot again.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Fruit is great, and all "regular" people should consume in reasonable amounts. If you are trying to be a fitness model, it makes sense to cut it out right before your competition.

Most of us aren't, so indulge away, as long as you stay in your calories approximately. Some fruits are "better" than others, but this really doesn't make a difference until you are trying to be super lean.

Some are pretty high in sugar, like grapes and bananas. Berries and citrus have less sugar. So you may need to pay more attention if you are diabetic.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    as long as you stay away from fruit like bananas you should be fine.

...what? Sure, don't eat too many bananas, but they aren't bad for you in the least! Goodness, people...

THIS!!!!
  • hvpooly
    hvpooly Posts: 39
    Options
    I eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day but I notice alot of people are cutting it out lately. The majority of the fitness women I have added on Instagram don't eat fruit either.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE watermelon n now I c how many carbs r in it I'm freaking out, but oh well better that then ice cream right?

I could definitely polish off an entire watermelon myself. It's so yummy. I've never even thought about carbs in it. Fruit=good. Except bananas - eat in moderation. Melons, apples, oranges, grapes.... etc... All good for you.

I keep seeing this thing that bananas are somehow bad and don't understand why. Where are you getting the information that bananas are somehow the anti fruit?
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Some people just like to make things more difficult than they need to be. As long as you aren't taking in excess calories or giving up other food groups and/or only eating fruit... you are probably fine.
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Same here I eat between 2-5 servings of fruit a day besides my veggies and I'm always over my sugar but I know it's coming from natural sources and not junk like it use to with chocolate and candy etc. I haven't had a problem
  • buryingluck
    Options
    I must eat 10 portions a day, literally. I go over my sugar 'limit' on here every single day. It's definitely not hindered my weight loss..
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    I cut out most fruit while trying to lose weight. (I watch sugar and carbs). My trainer swears by it. Sometimes when I need a treat I do strawberries or blueberries and they are like C A N D Y after days of no sugar!

When I switched to maintaining I added fruit back in.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i will eat strawberries sometimes, but that's about it.
    once i get closer to goal i'll add in rawpberries (my fave!)
  • jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every morning. I also eat blueberries, strawberries, cherries, apples, nectarines, watermelon.....sheesh, name it!! I've lost almost 70 lbs since January. I'll let you be the judge! :)
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    why all the banana hate? sure, it's they are a little more carb heavy then say.. berries, but then also have a lot of potassium and other stuff that is excellent for you, i wouldn't go eating 5 a day or anything, but eating 1 banana a day isn't bad at all, and that's coming from someone who is on the limit the fruit side of the fence.

1 or 2 servings is plenty. eat more veggies!
  • buryingluck
    Options
    as long as you stay away from fruit like bananas you should be fine.

What, why?! Why are bananas always seen as the Lucifer of the fruit world?!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat fruit because I was borderline diabetic and if I eat it evryday I would get the runs. I eat the strawberries I grow on my back deck and berries are usually very low cal.My hubby eats several fruits a day (apple, Banana, prunes) just to stay regular. I would eat them as long as I stayed in my carb and calorie limits