Fruit - to eat or not to eat?

Options

Replies

• BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid question, but why are so many people avoiding bananas frequently?? IS there something I'm missing?? I love bananas!!

I'd guess high sugar/carb and it is high in fructose. I personally don't care and eat a banana a day when I am active. (So, basically, daily)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I think people are too paranoid....about everything

OMG...IS WATER BAD?!

IS FRUIT BAD?!

being crazy is bad.

but really, fruit is natural, so are vegetables, so is water, my diet consists of mostly these things, and if people think that these things are not good for you I think they are a little nuts. I see this kind of BS on here all the time. Seriously, are poeple ever going to be happy? If processed food is bad for you, and so are fruits and veg, WTF? what are you supposed to eat? I just don't get the reasoning or logic.
  • meridian35
    meridian35 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As In am on Induction of atkins I am not allowed fruit because of the fructose in it. I do miss it but eat tons of low carb veg so still getting my five a day but without the sugars. Am looking forward to OWL when I can introduce a tiny bit of melon or berries
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I do eat fruit everyday and i'm loosing ok.
    I eat different types of fruits but usually i would eat something like

1 Banana
    1 Apple
    1 Melon
    2 kiwi
    1 Orange
    1 Plumb

I find it good for keeping me full, i like the fruits, they stop me eating worse things and they keep you regular
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    It is recommended to eat 4-5 servings of fruit per day. Fruit is healthy, filling, and good for you. Eat your fresh fruit and veggies and forget the hype! :-)
  • muffinskya
    muffinskya Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's better than a candy bar right? Don't worry about!!
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    once in awhile won't hurt, but moderation is key. Just like soda and bacon, moderation is the key.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It is recommended to eat 4-5 servings of fruit per day. Fruit is healthy, filling, and good for you. Eat your fresh fruit and veggies and forget the hype! :-)

who the heck says eat that much? imo, that is WAY too much unless you are like a hard charging mail carrier all day and not even then really. your body doesnt need that much sugar everyday. no way.
    (well...unless the serings are like really really small)
  • mrh0rnet
    mrh0rnet Posts: 26
    Options
    The carbs keep me away for the most part. Like I had bought a pineapple not too long ago and chopped it up. Weighed it up and 1/2 a cup of it was nearly 20 carbs. Considering I have my carbs set around 110 for the day that would've been just too much of a chunk gone.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

who the heck says eat that much? imo, that is WAY too much unless you are like a hard charging mail carrier all day and not even then really. your body doesnt need that much sugar everyday. no way.

I do. Fruit is good for you.
  • RawrWolfie
    Options
    as long as you stay away from fruit like bananas you should be fine.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    once in awhile won't hurt, but moderation is key. Just like soda and bacon, moderation is the key.

Are you really comparing fruit to soda and bacon?

Fruit is wonderful for you! I go for at least 2 servings a day, during the summer I often get more. If you're tracking your calories and keeping it as part of a balanced diet there's positively no reason to worry about your fruit intake.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

The fact that you are comparing fruit to soda shows that you have no idea what you're talking about.

OP: Eat fruit, in its fresh, raw state, preferably in season. Eat lots of it if you want. It's good for you.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I think you are the only one who can say if fruit is hindering your own weight loss.

My opinion on fruit in general is that it is a great snack and a great part of a varied diet.
    Like anything else, living entirely on fruit wouldn't be a good thing.... but you aren't doing that so unless you have a specific medical reason to avoid it - no problem!

So true. Some people gain weight with fruit, myself on the other hand...I lived in Brasil for a few months when I was younger, intially lost a lot of weight because I was eating a lot of fruit. I think it has to do with the water density of the fruit. But then again, I wasn't eating much of my usual junk foods either.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    as long as you stay away from fruit like bananas you should be fine.

...what? Sure, don't eat too many bananas, but they aren't bad for you in the least! Goodness, people...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating fruit.
    Can we stop saying this? I don't know anyone who got fat from eating any one single food. This is meaningless.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. There are certainly people who gain weight from abusing one category of food (chips, french fries, ice-cream, etc).

Epidemiology links fruit intake with increased lifespan, and fruit isn't that high in calories. So avoiding it is pointless. The only reason to avoid fruit would be if you're having trouble hitting your goal for protein macro's, or if you're a professional body building going from 6% to 3% body fat (and then might limit yourself to only one piece of fruit per day or something).
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat berries in my smoothies. I have limited my fruit because of the sugar since December. And I have lost a whopping 7 lbs maybe. I don't think it will make a difference if your healthy. But I have metabolic syndrome so I need to limit my sugars and carbs. If you enjoy fruit eat it. It's full of vitamins and nutrients and your suppose to eat a variety of fruits and veggies.
  • RawrWolfie
    Options
    Well fruit contains a lot of sugar so I think a little moderation and sometimes as a quick sugar fix substitute is a great idea. But all sugar is technically natural, aliens didn't drop it off.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    2 pieces of fruit a day is actually about right. Healthy Eating Guidelines say you need 5 servings of fruit/veggies a day. 2 fruits and 3 veggies is perfect. I think the only way fruit will hinder your weight loss is if you eat it in excess. Obviously if you are diabetic you need to watch you intake as well but on the norm 2 pieces is very good for you. The best ones you can eat are berries and fiberous fruits. Bananas are good in moderation cuz they have lots of potassium but are probably one of the highest in sugar. Eat your fruit and enjoy it. It's good for you.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options

I do. Fruit is good for you.

The recommendation is 4-5 servings of fruit AND vegetables. A combination. Not just of fruit. 5 servings of fruit a day is a little much. Yes it is good for you but so is a lot of foods. Too much of anything is not.