Drinking alcohol

So I tend to drink a lot of my calories back in beer. Are there other people out there that have that problem? That is probably the main reason I am not losing as much weight as I could be. I try really hard not to drink but then I have a beer, and another, and another....what are other people doing to control this?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    You can't keep yourself from drinking alcohol? That sounds like you have bigger problems than the weight.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    I went toi AA.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    So I tend to drink a lot of my calories back in beer. Are there other people out there that have that problem? That is probably the main reason I am not losing as much weight as I could be. I try really hard not to drink but then I have a beer, and another, and another....what are other people doing to control this?

They are empty calories. And yes, its a good chance it's the reason you aren't losing. Alcohol is a toxin and your body will stop metabolize in order to eliminate the alcohol from the body. You just need to get rid of alcohol from your house. And maybe leave your drivers license in the car when you go to restaurants.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    One glass of wine, I'm fine. Two or three, and I just want more. But if you really can't stop yourself, that's no bueno.

I started creating a slightly bigger deficit during the week, and tallying up for the weekend. So far, I've got an extra ~700 calories for tomorrow.
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    As much as I hate to admit it, I didn't lose weight until I stopped drinking. I was a one-or-two-glass-a-night wine drinker, then gave it up by accident (I had a sinus infection). I now drink maybe one glass a week at most, and have lost about 5 pounds. I also have more energy.

I still love wine, but I'm starting to realize it can't be an everyday thing for me.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Meh, I drank four beers last night. What? We were watching The Hangover. You can't NOT drink and watch that.

I'm still down from last week. I had calories left over for it, though.

Hasn't seemed to slow me down as long as I don't go over calories. If I do, well then... durr...

Miller 64 calorie beer is nice because it's like a two-fer. It won't really get you buzzed, though. That's what the Bud Platinum is for. :D
  • alg121710
    alg121710 Posts: 16 Member
    I only drink on one or two nights a week. You need to make changes that you can live with and that is what happens to work for me. I've lost 100 pounds over the past 1 1/2 years - it's been slow progress but I feel like I've found a balanced lifestyle I can maintain for the rest of my life.
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    As much as I hated to admit it too, I can't drink and lose weight as quickly. Even if I "save" calories for alcohol my body just doesn't respond as well. Like a previous poster said it is a toxin so your body tries to metabolize it first. So I personally really have had to limit my consumption to the weekend or special events!

Good luck, take it a day at a time!
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    I am a beer nut. Used to brew my own, grow my own hops, blah blah blah. I love beer.

Beer is liquid bread. I had to limit my self to only one REALLY GOOD beer to lose any weight, and that may not be enough to keep me from plateauing.

TO quench my beer craving, I drink a lot of carbonated mineral water or club soda with a lime in it. The cold bubbly fluid kinda feels like beer, the satisfying belch is still there, and surprising bonus: no beer farts.

Good luck. The abstinence crowd may be right, but it is no the ONLY option. My personal definition of alcohol as a problem is not the amount consumed but whether it interferes with your relationships and life. The best way to know that is to listen to other people and your body.

Sucks, huh?
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    As much as I hate to admit it, I didn't lose weight until I stopped drinking. I was a one-or-two-glass-a-night wine drinker, then gave it up by accident (I had a sinus infection). I now drink maybe one glass a week at most, and have lost about 5 pounds. I also have more energy.

I still love wine, but I'm starting to realize it can't be an everyday thing for me.

This^^^^
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Beer is not something I want to give up to lose weight, yeah if I drank less I would lose faster but then I would gain some back because of my love affair with beer. so I'm going for the slow and steady loose while still living the life I want to live. but I really should cut back on it during the week :drinker:
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    I try not to drink at all if I can help it. Not only does the alcohol add more calories to the bottom line, but for me, it causes me to get laxed in what I'm eating during the time that I'm drinking. I think it's mostly because of the sugar that I'm introducing into my system that makes me CRAVE carbs when I drink. So, I limit myself to a couple of drinks once a week during my "cheat meal", but factor in those calories.
  • MzTat2slim
    MzTat2slim Posts: 17 Member
    Set a limit before you start drinking. If you only want to drink 2 beers. set those 2 beers aside from the rest. And slowly sip them. This way even if you go for a 3rd, you have stopped yourself from drinking 4. Every little bit helps.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    I love a couple of glasses of wine or a few beers myself, but I find that if I do that, I also want to snack. I have to be VERY careful. Lately, I've been just pushing through that little voice that comes to me in the early evening saying, "Ooh, wouldn't a beer be awesome right about now?" and I just do something else instead of going to the fridge. Like any craving, it goes away if you ignore it long enough. That said, I do give in every now and then -- had three glasses of wine over a five-hour period last night -- since I'm living this way for the duration, not just until my last pounds are shed. Try telling yourself you'll have that beer tomorrow or after you're down a pound or whatever works for you -- it will help your weight loss.
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    I hear you!! Love my glass of wine with dinner, but starting to realize it can't be an everyday thing as well. And wine is tougher than beer in that portion control is trickier. So I'm trying to only have one glass when I have dinner out (usually once a week) and on weekends when I can share with others.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I drink a beer from time to time and it hasn't slowed my weightloss down. I count the calories and fit it into my diet like any other food. The only difference is you need to rehydrate. Ask any toxicologist and they'll tell you, all poison is in the dosage. Even water is toxic at high enough doses. If it's holding back your weight loss, then it sounds like you could be leaning toward the toxic dosage. If you can't control that, then you may need a different kind of help than what you get here.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    I feel your pain. I love craft beer. But most of the beers that I drink run between 250-300 calories per beer (Yikes!). I have greatly limited the amount of alcohol that I consume, but when I do indulge, I figure them into my calorie allowance.
  • kmturtle3
    kmturtle3 Posts: 556
    I get SO tired of reading about everyone who says you can't lose weight and still drink. MODERATION people, jeez.

I am a complete beer freak. I am on a personal mission to visit all of the (over 100 breweries) in the state of Michigan. I don't drink crap domestic beers. I drink craft beers - IPAs, bourbon barrel aged and Russian Imperial stouts, Belgian styles, etc etc. When I started on MFP in January of 2011 I was 250 pounds and a size 18. As of this morning I'm 155 and a size 8.

I have a little beer gut. I always will. I don't care, because I love beer. All I do? I don't drink Monday-Thursday. Friday and Saturday are my days to imbibe. Sunday maybe I'll have one good beer or a glass of red wine or a glass of bourbon. But I never go crazy on Sundays. Saturday? Saturday I go C.R.A.Z.Y. I do try to work with a bigger deficit during the weeks... right now, I NET between 1000-1200 Monday-Thursday... I am kind of a work out fiend and will get anywhere from 500-900 calories from that. I still workout on Friday and Saturday, and Sunday is usually a rest day or something low-key like a bike ride or yoga or foam rolling for a super long time. Doing this, I am basically maintaining. But when I say I go crazy, I mean I drink between 5-10 really big amazing beers, eat nachos, ice cream, you name it. I find that is makes me behave better during the week.

To each his own. I just want you to know that you CAN have your beer and lose weight too. It just takes dedication and committment on a very serious level all the other days of the week. :smile:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I get SO tired of reading about everyone who says you can't lose weight and still drink. MODERATION people, jeez.

I am a complete beer freak. I am on a personal mission to visit all of the (over 100 breweries) in the state of Michigan. I don't drink crap domestic beers. I drink craft beers - IPAs, bourbon barrel aged and Russian Imperial stouts, Belgian styles, etc etc. When I started on MFP in January of 2011 I was 250 pounds and a size 18. As of this morning I'm 155 and a size 8.

I have a little beer gut. I always will. I don't care, because I love beer. All I do? I don't drink Monday-Thursday. Friday and Saturday are my days to imbibe. Sunday maybe I'll have one good beer or a glass of red wine or a glass of bourbon. But I never go crazy on Sundays. Saturday? Saturday I go C.R.A.Z.Y. I do try to work with a bigger deficit during the weeks... right now, I NET between 1000-1200 Monday-Thursday... I am kind of a work out fiend and will get anywhere from 500-900 calories from that. I still workout on Friday and Saturday, and Sunday is usually a rest day or something low-key like a bike ride or yoga or foam rolling for a super long time. Doing this, I am basically maintaining. But when I say I go crazy, I mean I drink between 5-10 really big amazing beers, eat nachos, ice cream, you name it. I find that is makes me behave better during the week.

To each his own. I just want you to know that you CAN have your beer and lose weight too. It just takes dedication and committment on a very serious level all the other days of the week. :smile:
    High-five for Michigan beer
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Maybe set a goal for yourself that you are going to go 6 days without a beer and then you allow yourself 2. I found that the longer I go without beer, the less cravings I have for it.