Drinking alcohol

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've made a pact with myself that I will only drink on the weekends or special occasions. I used to have a glass of wine or hard cider when I came home from work, but even when I was in-line with my calorie goal, the weight seems to go faster when I stop drinking altogether. So I figure if I limit my intake four nights a week, and splurge the other three (I count Friday, Saturday, and Sunday as weekends) then this will still allow me to lose weight while staying true to my social, Irish roots.
    Sounds like a good plan!
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Choose what is more important, beer or looking good and feeling better. It isn't simple but it is easy. If you're not prepared to stop drinking then stop complaining that you aren't losing weight. You can't have both.
  • meridian35
    meridian35 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    smoke weed instead

What and get the munchies??????
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Choose what is more important, beer or looking good and feeling better. It isn't simple but it is easy. If you're not prepared to stop drinking then stop complaining that you aren't losing weight. You can't have both.
    I have both.
  • meridian35
    Options

Um, the OP said that they have a beer, then they have another, and another and can't stop themselves. That's actually pretty much the definition of a problem. You don't have to get blind drunk every time you dink to have a dependency. If you require a 6 pack to have a good time, you have a drinking problem.
    And day in and day out people post about having one cookie and then another....

But....cookies aren't a mind altering substance like alcohol
  • yourpalacf
    yourpalacf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I love craft beer. But most of the beers that I drink run between 250-300 calories per beer (Yikes!). I have greatly limited the amount of alcohol that I consume, but when I do indulge, I figure them into my calorie allowance.

Yup...my husband brews his own, and it's gooooood. Also means there's always some in the house. I've basically had to stop drinking the beer and stick with a little white wine here and there. And sips of my hubby's when he's having one. Just a taste. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Um, the OP said that they have a beer, then they have another, and another and can't stop themselves. That's actually pretty much the definition of a problem. You don't have to get blind drunk every time you dink to have a dependency. If you require a 6 pack to have a good time, you have a drinking problem.

you're right. And so, she's an alcoholic because alcohol is "mind altering"?
    Wouldn't that mean everyone who drinks is an alcoholic?
    I'm not arguing for drinking, just wondering why the default response of many is to declare strangers on the internet alcoholics because they like beer, and drink too many calories of it.
    I just wonder if the same posters diagnose eating disorders based on too many calories from cookies.

I guess I sometimes think that on a site like this folks are more accepting of issues/problems they themselves experience or struggle with, and less understanding, patient, wise about issues they DON'T struggle with.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

I don't know. Sugar's pretty potent in its effect on people, too.

Alcohol IS an addictive substance, just like sugar. Everyone reacts differently. I personally believe you can control your intake just like you can with cookies, unless you're too far down the rabbit hole and you just can't (or you just believe you can't).
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

If they are chocolate chip, then they have the same ingredient that those bath salts that turn people into flesh eating zombies have.
  • meridian35
    Options

I'm not arguing for drinking, just wondering why the default response of many is to declare strangers on the internet alcoholics because they like beer, and drink too many calories of it.
    I just wonder if the same posters diagnose eating disorders based on too many calories from cookies.

I never said anyone was an alcoholic. Not being able to refuse alcohol in whatever form does indicate a dependency which may turn into full blown alcoholism depending on personal addiction tendencies. I know I am an addict, I was addicted to tobacco and for a while I was what I consider to be a functioning alcoholic, i.e. refusing alcohol was quite hard because there was always a shrug of the shoulders and 'hey, why not, life'd short". Now only have an occasional glass of wine if I'm eating out and stick to that. With my addictive personality I will make sure to stay clear of crack cocaine, because in five minutes I will be in the gutter!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I never said anyone was an alcoholic. Not being able to refuse alcohol in whatever form does indicate a dependency which may turn into full blown alcoholism depending on personal addiction tendencies. I know I am an addict, I was addicted to tobacco and for a while I was what I consider to be a functioning alcoholic, i.e. refusing alcohol was quite hard because there was always a shrug of the shoulders and 'hey, why not, life'd short". Now only have an occasional glass of wine if I'm eating out and stick to that. With my addictive personality I will make sure to stay clear of crack cocaine, because in five minutes I will be in the gutter!
    best of luck on your journey
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Where the hell did the OP say that? I've gone through this thread twice and didn't see it. If you can't understand that a person may enjoy drinking a 6-pack every once in a while without necessarily being an alcoholic (I'm one of those folks), you have no life. Notice that I didn't say 'need'.

While I can sympathize with the sentiment, and definitely agree that for some people this may be a problem, it's not always the same thing with everyone. To the extent that the OP recognizes that the issues with weight loss may be linked to exessive alcohol consumption and is wondering on strategies to reduce consumption (while also being willing and able to act on those strategies), I'm pretty sure that rules out alcoholism. Could it, conceivably, become alcoholism? Sure. I could also conceivably jump out the window of my 21st floor office. Doesn't mean I'm likely to do it. Equating alcoholism with 'hey guys, I drink a few beers 2 or 3 times a week and need to cut back so I can lose weight but I really enjoy those beers' grossly simplifies a very real and serious condition that some people are facing.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Ummm...yes you can.

mod·er·a·tion /ˌmädəˈrāSHən / noun:
    -The avoidance of excess or extremes, esp. in one's behavior or political opinions.
    -The action of making something less extreme, intense, or violent.
  • 40goneby40
    40goneby40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I love a good drink. I am all about wine and craft beer.

Unfortunately, I am seeing that I can't drink and lose weight. At least, that is what the scale is telling me. So, I am going to give it up for the rest of the month to see if that is indeed the case. Literally do exactly what I am doing now except for no more alcohol.

We shall see.

All of our bodies are different. Impossible to say that what works for one person will work for another. I just know that drinking is not helping me at all!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Where the hell did the OP say that? I've gone through this thread twice and didn't see it. If you can't understand that a person may enjoy drinking a 6-pack every once in a while without necessarily being an alcoholic (I'm one of those folks), you have no life. Notice that I didn't say 'need'.
    GREAT point. The OP never said they "can't stop themselves".
    When someone talks about their potato chip calories, folks chime in and remind them to eat with in their calories. Even when they're replying to a 15 year old girl who wants to weigh 80LBS. sigh. I don't see too many folks (there are a few) offering useful advice when it comes to beer calories.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I still drink one glass of red wine each night and have still been losing weight as I include it in my calorie count for the day and no longer eat cheetos but have switched to raw veggies :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I still drink one glass of red wine each night and have still been losing weight as I include it in my calorie count for the day and no longer eat cheetos but have switched to raw veggies :drinker:
    I allow myself 11 ounces of white or red if I want it. I don't eat a lot of crap food either.
    :drinker: And I'm doing just fine. Not many menopausal women can say they have a BMI of 21 and regularly run 5K.
    Wine MUST be evil lol:happy:
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I allow myself 11 ounces of white or red if I want it. I don't eat a lot of crap food either.
    :drinker: And I'm doing just fine. Not many menopausal women can say they have a BMI of 21 and regularly run 5K.
    Wine MUST be evil lol:happy:

Both of you, quickly, get help before it's too late!
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm not a beer drinker, but am fond of Bacardi Rum. I still have my rum but make sure I stay within my calorie goal (most times) for the day/week. The whole idea, IMO, of this website is to create a healthier LIFESTYLE. This does include drinking if that's part of your lifestyle. No, alcohol may not be healthy, but it's still part of having a social life for some and can be incorporated into your healthy eating and exercising. I say go for it!! Drink your beer. :drinker: