Drinking alcohol

Options

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I dunno if AA is the answer. They're a little weird. No offense to any AA members.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I get SO tired of reading about everyone who says you can't lose weight and still drink. MODERATION people, jeez.

I am a complete beer freak. I am on a personal mission to visit all of the (over 100 breweries) in the state of Michigan. I don't drink crap domestic beers. I drink craft beers - IPAs, bourbon barrel aged and Russian Imperial stouts, Belgian styles, etc etc. When I started on MFP in January of 2011 I was 250 pounds and a size 18. As of this morning I'm 155 and a size 8.

I have a little beer gut. I always will. I don't care, because I love beer. All I do? I don't drink Monday-Thursday. Friday and Saturday are my days to imbibe. Sunday maybe I'll have one good beer or a glass of red wine or a glass of bourbon. But I never go crazy on Sundays. Saturday? Saturday I go C.R.A.Z.Y. I do try to work with a bigger deficit during the weeks... right now, I NET between 1000-1200 Monday-Thursday... I am kind of a work out fiend and will get anywhere from 500-900 calories from that. I still workout on Friday and Saturday, and Sunday is usually a rest day or something low-key like a bike ride or yoga or foam rolling for a super long time. Doing this, I am basically maintaining. But when I say I go crazy, I mean I drink between 5-10 really big amazing beers, eat nachos, ice cream, you name it. I find that is makes me behave better during the week.

To each his own. I just want you to know that you CAN have your beer and lose weight too. It just takes dedication and committment on a very serious level all the other days of the week. :smile:

^ Yep. I too am doing a MI beer visit too. We live outside of Detroit and I fell in love with the many many beers here. My favs are Stouts, Porters, and Ales... so the big calorie ones. I too exercise enough to indulge in beers. I also watch my food intake all week long. It is possible, but you gotta figure out what will work for you.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    So I tend to drink a lot of my calories back in beer. Are there other people out there that have that problem? That is probably the main reason I am not losing as much weight as I could be. I try really hard not to drink but then I have a beer, and another, and another....what are other people doing to control this?

I stopped buying it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Um, the OP said that they have a beer, then they have another, and another and can't stop themselves. That's actually pretty much the definition of a problem. You don't have to get blind drunk every time you dink to have a dependency. If you require a 6 pack to have a good time, you have a drinking problem.
    And day in and day out people post about having one cookie and then another....
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Make sure you always have your own drinks with you. Alcohol is terrible for weightloss.
    Besides, if you have lost all the weight and you're not as used to alcohol as first, you'll get drunk from 1-2 drinks (that's my experience though :P)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You can like beer and not need AA, people. Like everything I had to learn moderation. I wasn't giving up my love affair with beer and I didn't have to. I lost weight slower but got to goal just like everyone else. Patience is what is needed here. Plan ahead for beer splurges, don't go ape s**t overboard, and you will get to your goal, I swear. I lost a total of 37 pounds (27 from January 1st) all while drinking alcohol.
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Um, the OP said that they have a beer, then they have another, and another and can't stop themselves. That's actually pretty much the definition of a problem. You don't have to get blind drunk every time you dink to have a dependency. If you require a 6 pack to have a good time, you have a drinking problem.
    And day in and day out people post about having one cookie and then another....

And next thing you know, they're being referred to Cookies Anonymous.
  • Lizzie_FL
    Lizzie_FL Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I like to enjoy a glass of wine but then it turns into two, not good for weight loss. Last summer i decided to try Miller's 55 calorie beer, it's not bad, really. If you compare the calories it's a huge savings from even the light beers and you can still enjoy a few with your friends without too much pain.
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    smoke weed instead
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    So I tend to drink a lot of my calories back in beer. Are there other people out there that have that problem? That is probably the main reason I am not losing as much weight as I could be. I try really hard not to drink but then I have a beer, and another, and another....what are other people doing to control this?

I absolutely refused to give up alcohol, an am nearly at my goal weight. Just work it into your daily calorie goal.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I've decided to pretty much give up alcohol except for special occasions now - as I've posted a link elsewhere, there's evidence to suggest that alcohol slows down fat burning by up to 75%.

When it comes down to it, it depends on (1) your goals (2) your seriousness (3) what you want to achieve. It's not a terrible thing to drink alcoholic drinks regularly but you'll have to accept that it'll take longer to achieve your goals assuming you don't drink last week's exercise calories back as well!

As I see it, it's like trying to drive somewhere with one foot on the brake pedal the entire journey hence unless I have a good reason, I'll not bother with the hateful stuff. (FYI I love cider and single malt whiskies... just not enough.)

If I do treat myself, then I'll be choosing to do so and accept the consequences.
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    smoke weed instead

LMAO!!! Munchies might then be an issue;)
  • Spritesmomminus10
    Options
    CHEERS EverestChick! I also love beer and the empty calories often hold me back wehn trying to drop a few pounds. I recently discovered that Corona Light is only 99 calories...not my favorite but on a hot summer day with a lime- it is a nice treat!! Enjoy your beer and run an extra mile or two.

To the critics who are probalby a 2 on the 1-10 fun scale :-)
    http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/14/beer-drink-health-forbeslife-cx_avd_0317health.html
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Oh for crying out loud, she doesn't need AA. People act like if you aren't a prude then you're an alcoholic. It's called middle ground, and you can drink without having a "serious problem."

What always helps me is to look up the amount of calories in my "drinks of choice" and carry it with me in my wallet when I go out. It's a friendly little reminder when I go to pay for the drink that if I have those 2 Long Island iced teas, I will undo a whole lot of hard work. Also, set a limit for yourself before you go out (while you're still sober) and then hold yourself to it! If you're going with friends or a significant other, tell them about it if you feel comfortable and they can help hold you accountable too.

It is possible to lose weight while drinking. I actually weighed less last summer when I was drinking every weekend than I do now when I have only been drinking a couple times a month for the last few months. Alcohol doesn't have to completely derail everything, just be careful.
  • Jadzea42
    Jadzea42 Posts: 20
    Options
    Beer makes me FAT! Light Beer makes me even more FAT! I think its kinda like drinking diet soda, makes me more FAT than regular soda. I dropped 10 lbs just from cutting the beer out of my diet alone. The only thing I seem to be able to get away with is the occasional Gluten free beer like Bards. and I limit myself on those ocassions once or twice a month to only one or two beers. The way I stopped drinking so much beer, because I do love a good brew, Is I had to decide if I wanted to drink beer and be FAT or Be thin. I would much rather be thin! easy choice. Oh and giving up soda was even easier. I asked myself if I wanted to drink soda and be DIABETIC or be healthy.
  • ahadel
    ahadel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculous how many radical posts there are about this. Why don't you try a simple solution: just stop eating? I'll bet if you stopped eating you could keep drinking and still lose weight. Or you can alternate days, one day with just food (no beer) and the next day just beer (no food).
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    smoke weed instead

LMAO!!! Munchies might then be an issue;)

Ugh, I get munchies really bad when I'm drunk! It sucks. I always crave pizza and McDonald's. If I could cut out the after-drinking snacking, I would be fine :)
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    this was my issue when i first joined mfp.

and now that i am a few years older i don't want to drink any because of the damage i know it will do to my body.

save it for the special occassions....not every weekend.
  • boonez28
    boonez28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try exercising a little bit.