Do you believe in 'soulmate' concept?

Options

Replies

• TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Looking to your replies (some believe and some not) I come to realize that the concept of 'soulmate' is another of many of life's paradoxes.. While the idea seems to be truthful, it also gives you the other impression. I believe that each person has their own way to resolve this paradox.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I did, then we broke up...

^^^ :drinker:
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I don't believe in the term "Soulmate" as in the "mate" part. Humans do not necessarily "mate for life" as do hawks, wolves, etc., therefore I do not believe there is one person out there whose soul is meant to be paired with mine.

I do, however, believe that there can be deeply spiritual connections between people on a level which cannot be explained away easily. There are people in my life that I've known for only a few years that I feel so extremely "drawn" to on a level that goes beyond the short amount of time I've know them. I also have people that have been in my life for YEARS that I care for - but do not feel that deep connection.

I also have a multitude of smart-alec answers...but I'll keep those to myself for now.
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    I had an amazing connection with a guy once, it was freaking mind blowing. Sadly, it wasn't the 'right' time. :cry:

Same here :(
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I never did, until the deaths of my husband's parents. He lost his mom on Labor Day in 2010 when she threw a PE. Even though his parents separated when he was young and had both remarried, they never stopped loving each other and it was obvious to everyone who knew them. DH's father passed away on St. Patrick's Day 2011 when he fell down a 30 foot embankment and drowned while walking his dog. 3 months later, DH's stepmom, unable to cope with the death of DH's father, committed suicide.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Yup! I married him two years ago in December. It's rare and hard to find, but soulmates exist.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Once you have met that person, then you believe. Until that day for me I always had doubted it. You don't realize it exists until you find it. Once you have found it, you can't deny it.
  • TheSlimWithin
    Options
    I'm a disgusting romantic, so I'm always going to believe there's somebody out there for everybody. Reality wise, I guess you get as much as you give - as in, if you don't put in the effort, blah blah blah, you know the rest. But I'm going to stay in my sickeningly cute bubble of fantasy. :)
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't think you always end up with your soul mate though.

Very true. I believe the same.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Probably more the latter. Sometimes I think I could have made a life with any number of men that happened along at the right time in my life, but the older I get, the more I believe that somehow God put my husband and I together. I don't know...I don't think the definition can't be fluid.
  • lucindasun
    lucindasun Posts: 38
    Options
    I watched a documentary once about whether there is such a thing as "soulmates' or "love at first site" and it seems that often it's a chemical attraction from our more primative ancestors where we are actually attracted to each others DNA for the purpose of procreation and we react to the chemistry of a person, men of course are more visual and women get a feeling, but we also react to the smell and warmth of a person. But I have to say after having a very long term relationship with someone I felt quite compatible with and loved deeply, I thought he was in fact the only match for me. But his issues stood in the way and I found myself not happy at all, the love was there but the sadness prevailed. A few years later, I had a mind blowing experience with someone I least expected to have a connection with, this relationship was so not likely to work out, Four years later we are still madly in love and married two years. I've definitely found my soul mate.
  • OKmac3
    OKmac3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes I do and I may have found her recently
  • laurenbausch
    laurenbausch Posts: 146
    Options
    I didn't until I met my husband, and it wasn't when I first met him. He grew on me! I didn't even think he liked me, so I didn't pay any attention to him either. Now we're happily married, and I think he's the only person who could appreciate my oddities. I also worried about finding a husband who didn't want kids because I don't. I couldn't imagine my life without him. I know it's cheesy, but it's true!
  • babiebluez025
    Options
    Yes, but I think a person can have more than one soul mate. My husband is my soul mate, but so is my best girl friend. We have different kinds of relationships, of course.

One of mine has fur.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    mos def!
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think the first question should be " do you believe that people have souls?"

If we're just results of genetics and social nurturing than there is no soulmate persay, however, there may be a select few that we are happiest around due to personal views and personality.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    And same here,
    <<< only now we are together after all of the years! We could no longer stand being apart.
    I had an amazing connection with a guy once, it was freaking mind blowing. Sadly, it wasn't the 'right' time. :cry:

Same here :(
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I believe a soulmate is someone who "gets you" in ways that most other people can not. But I believe you can have more than one soulmate and like someone else said, a soulmate doesn't necessarily have to be a sexual partner but you can have other kinds of relationships with them.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Lyrics from our wedding song (Ghost of a Chance by Rush):

I don't believe in destiny
    Or the guiding hand of fate
    I don't believe in forever
    Or love as a mystical state
    I don't believe in the stars or the planets
    Or angels watching from above
    But I believe there's a ghost of a chance we can find someone to love
    And make it last...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    yes. I believe that 2 people can be connected in miraculous ways. my girl friend brought it up once when I told her about dreams I have had and times when I just knew something was going to happen or happen to a specific person.

Do you have anything to tell me?