The Wife

Options

Replies

• DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I prefer, hun, luv, sunshine, princess, ... which I am called and adore when he says them! :) (I'm not married.. someday...) never "the wife" or worse "the old woman" cause I am not old. :P
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Everybody in the old country says "the wife". Not sure how it plays here in the US
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think it is offensive and disrespectful to her. It would upset me if my husband did that more than every once in a great while. It depersonalizes his wife. He should use her name or at least say "MY wife", which is perfectly fine. The term 'the wife' makes it sound like she is a thing, a possession.

Exactly how I felt when I heard it repeatedly.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would get annoyed by it, not offended/degraded, I just prefer to be called by my name.
  • GrnEydGrl86
    GrnEydGrl86 Posts: 154
    Options
    If my husband calls me by my actual name, then I know I'm in trouble ...

Sooooo true!!! :laugh:
  • mandi_2007_b
    Options
    I'm known as "THE OLD LADY" lol i don't mind it
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Some friends of ours are like this. The husband always refers to her as "The Wife" and she doesnt mind at all. When another friend asked why he did that because she thought it was offensive, he explained it this way: She is my wife, she is my ONLY wife, thus she is THE wife - for me!

Sometimes my husband refers to me as "The Wife" also. I dont mind at all.

Besides.. this guy could be calling his wife something MUCH worse, right? :tongue:
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm the second wife. And sport the bling to prove it. :)

He certainly has an interesting take on it.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    My wife...that is how I refer to Pam in conversation with others. She is not THE wife..she is my wife, and I respect her enough to refer to her either in that manner, or by just using her name in conversation.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's all about finding humor where you can. It's funny. I refer to my SO as my "Old Man" Is that offensive to him? No. We're hilarious, and we know it.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't mind my husband referring to me as "The Wife". When I first met him he referred to his parents as "The 'Rents" and sometimes as "The Parental Units" and he's thinks highly of them. And don't we all refer to our offspring as "The Kids" when we talk about them? I'd much rather be referred to as "The Wife" or "My Wife" than "The Ol' Lady" or "The Ball and Chain", besides, it leaves no doubt as to the status! If I talk about my husband to people who have never met him, most of the time I refer to him as "My Husband". This irritated his sister, who insisted he's not a possession, and therefore I should not use the word "my", and should say either his name or "The Husband". Of course, she also said I should never use the word "we" or "us" when talking about things we do, I should always list us individually when talking about things we do together. He told me his sister was nutty and to ignore her.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I refer to as my wife as "The Boss."

But she's only the boss because I let her.
    (And she beats me. Help me.)

hahaha I laughed so hard at this...and then laughed even harder when I scrolled down. this is epic.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    nah no big deal I'm sure he's just trying to be funny. I refer to my oldest son as "the boy"

I do that too! I refer to my children as "the girl" and "the boy" when talking to family members. I have never said "the husband". I don't think I would be offended by being called the wife though.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm known as "THE OLD LADY" lol i don't mind it

If I called my wife that, she'd make me sleep on the couch.
    With a badger.
    While I wore a scent called "Badger Love."
    And played Barry White.
  • CaseyP1207
    CaseyP1207 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Side note - they recently got divorced - forgot to mention that.

Looks like she's got a new name. "The Alimony."
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It just seems very disconnected or even demeaning.

Agreed! If he refers to his significant other as The Wife all the time and not only when making a joke, etc.. he is totally disconnected and pulling away from her. Just my opinion...
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It's kind of hilarious to me that people think it's offensive. (Is anything not offensive in 2012?)

I don't even think I'd notice.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Funny this...i'd rather be referred to as my wife, yet when I refer to a SO in a relationship, I sometimes say "his lordship", dependant on the conversation.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    It's kind of hilarious to me that people think it's offensive. (Is anything not offensive in 2012?)

This.

My husband refers to me as "the wife" sometimes. It's funny. Sometimes I refer to him as "my oldest child." Whatever. It's only offensive if it's meant to be offensive.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I was "the wife" for most of my marriage. I took offense to it for the first 2 or 3 years, then I just ignored it. Don't think it's really meant to be offensive though...course that depends on the person saying it obviously.