The Wife

Options

Replies

• AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My husband does that sometimes, and no, I don't find it offensive. We call my only son -"Boy", he answers!
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    He thinks it's cool I think and not a problem in my book. I know a guy who has referred to his wife as "the fun police." That cracks me up! =)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I don't really like when she calls me "the Wife"... i find it degrading ;)

Are you implying that "wife" is a lower grade than "husband"? Because if so, can I have your wife's contact info? I want to tell her something TOTALLY UNRELATED (I swear).
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I refer to mine as my 2nd wife because she's not the person I thought I married!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Oh and it actually bothers HIM when other people refer to their wives as their wives (rather than by name) so I doubt he does it to me, but if he did I wouldn't care, unless his coworkers were hot and then I'd want him to refer to me as his "hot girlfriend who is probably going to break up with me soon, here's her number".
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My husband sometimes refers to me as "the wife." But he treats me like a queen and spoils me rotten. I think pretty much anything he says about me is meant affectionately, so I don't find offense.
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My wife the love of my life since we were Freshman in High School I call her Woman alot of the time any problem there with anyone? Married 33 years this Saturday! Dated 7 years before that!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Nope, it wouldn't bother me. I had heard women call their husband "The Hubs" before. Some people have nicknames for their significant others/spouses that seem to take the place of their real name. My husband calls me "Gorby" (don't ask) to my face and when he is talking about me, he always says "my wife". He rarely uses my actual name. I call him "Brain" (his name is Brian, but it is ridiculous how many people write Brain instead of Brian).
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I know it is a common way for a man to refer to his wife and is not meant to be derogatory but I always disliked it, I always felt a bit like a possession "this is the car, this is the house, this is the wife"

My present husband always says "My Wife" much nicer.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think in certain contexts it can be cute!! Like jokey.
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My favorite journalist refers to his wife as "the rib". I kinda love that one.

Aw, that's awesome :)
  • threedaysfromyou
    Options
    My ex-husband used to call me 'the wife.' I can see how when other people say it that it could be funny, or cute, or sweet and not troubling at all. In my marriage, though, I was treated more like a possession than a person so being called 'the wife' really did bother me. He would often talk about me as though I wasn't there, sometimes with that tone that people use to talk about small children.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Maybe the guy's just got a ton of single friends who can't seem to keep girlfriends so it's a satisfying jab to refer to her as The Wife, cuz he's got one & they don't. Maybe he's one of those weird guys who has been dreaming of getting married since he was 5 & now he is, dammit (good for him). Maybe he loves the crap out of her & can't believe that amazing woman married a schmuck like him so it makes him happy to refer to her that way. Maybe he does it intentionally to annoy you.

My husband calls me Wifey sometimes, which I'm indifferent about. He likes it, so it's fine. He doesn't seem to like it when I refer to him as #2 for some reason. :wink:
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    My parents are Irish and they refer to eachother as 'Herself' and 'Himself'
    For example. '' I'll just see what himself wants to do''
    I quite like it.
    We live in Switzerland where I am reffered to as Ma Femme which is the proper term to be used but translates not as 'my wife' but as 'my woman'. Lol
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I refer to mine as "The Ex"...is that offensive?

This is what I call mine now but he always called me his old bag:frown:
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am my husband's "Old Lady" :) I don't mind it at all.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't bother me if the hubs said it ;)
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    im not married but i get called ' the missus'...i dont know why...i dont mind but if he says it in front of me - bang a punch in the face :-))) or two
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    yes-offensive (it comes across with an "eye roll" ) IMO
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 64
    Options
    After 24 years, as long as he still calls me... it's all good.