Bacon is better then peanutbutter! (protein)

Options

Replies

• rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    man why dose everyone got to hate on peanutbutter....:::dips her bacon in jiffy jar:::::::: its drishosh:bigsmile:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i love bacon...and i agree...peanut butter is not as good for you as people try to claim. i use PB2 instead if i need to make something with peanut butter in it.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    pb-and-b.jpg
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter has healthy fat. It's a good source of protein, but it's a better source of fat.

This and Bacon, while I like bacon, most kinds are full of nitrates that cause cancer.

Several decades ago, some researchers raised the possibility that nitrites could be linked to cancer in laboratory rats. This suggestion received a lot of media attention. What received less media attention, however, was when it turned out that they were wrong. Indeed, the National Academy of Sciences, the American Cancer Society and the National Research Council all agree that there's no cancer risk from consuming sodium nitrite.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love bacon, but you're not showing the whole picture. Bacon has more sodium and cholesterol, less fiber and potassium, and higher saturated fat... the generics may look better, but when you do a FULL comparison, I would rather have pb instead of bacon for health reasons ;-)

There is no valid scientific proof that sodium affects a healthy normal human being, the same goes for cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol is NOT as bad as its been made out to be. When you lower dietary cholesterol, your liver simply makes more. Thats how the body works. When you eat PB you are shoving sugar into your body which is far worse than cholesterol, peanuts are a BEAN, not a nut. Almond butter would be a far better choice than PB if you really have a dislike of bacon that goes beyond the misinformation.
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love bacon, but you're not showing the whole picture. Bacon has more sodium and cholesterol, less fiber and potassium, and higher saturated fat... the generics may look better, but when you do a FULL comparison, I would rather have pb instead of bacon for health reasons ;-)

There is no valid scientific proof that sodium affects a healthy normal human being, the same goes for cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol is NOT as bad as its been made out to be. When you lower dietary cholesterol, your liver simply makes more. Thats how the body works. When you eat PB you are shoving sugar into your body which is far worse than cholesterol, peanuts are a BEAN, not a nut. Almond butter would be a far better choice than PB if you really have a dislike of bacon that goes beyond the misinformation.

^^^So true. And I LOVE almond butter!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    pb-and-b.jpg

I also vote BOTH/AND. Why do we have to choose? Why can't we like BOTH? :laugh: :wink:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    pb-and-b.jpg

:love: :love: :love:

Though if protein was your primary goal you could skip the bread and just dip the bacon straight in the peanut butter, or crumble the bacon into the peanut butter.

Not that I'm carb-adverse. But I'd certainly choose a multigrain bread at least. LOL.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    yeah if you like killing pigs :wink:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    I also vote BOTH/AND. Why do we have to choose? Why can't we like BOTH? :laugh: :wink:

"Hey, you got bacon in my peanut butter!"
    "Hey, you got peanut butter on my bacon!"

The start of a beautiful lifetime together. LOL
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There is this great product called PB2 that you can get on amazon - it's peanut butter with the oils squeezed out. It comes in a powder, so you just add water or throw it in dressings, sauces, or smoothies. Something like 40 calories/2TBS. I think both peanut butter and bacon can be enjoyed, however, if you're mindful about it.

I LOVE PB2
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    I always thought it was odd my neighbor was doing Atkins and she could eat a pound a bacon but no peanut butter, A whole bag of pork rinds but no apples. Dumb!

Why must diets that differ from one's own always be called "dumb"? Atkins is not my preferred eating plan (I loves me my carbs, and the "American balanced" diet is working well for me), but there are other ways to survive and thrive.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    So now I'm going home to have a PB and bacon sandwich - I dont even care if its vile - it has to be tried - I'm craving both now!!!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    pb-and-b.jpg

Seriously. I know what is for breakfast tomorrow. *drool*
  • Katutsa
    Katutsa Posts: 8
    Options
    We love bacon....AND peanut butter.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    How many calories are from fat?

10 calorie difference and the same fat is NOT a convincing argument since PB has good fat and bacon has bad fat.

Um... calories from fat are based on the number of grams of fat. 10grams of fat is 90 calories, whether it is meat or vegetable based.
  • GR1966
    GR1966 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Who doesn't LOVE bacon....but if its protein you want, then go for fat free yogurt and tuna...not together of course. Yogurt and Tuna are both amazing sources of proten and very low in fat.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter has healthy fat. It's a good source of protein, but it's a better source of fat.

This and Bacon, while I like bacon, most kinds are full of nitrates that cause cancer.

Several decades ago, some researchers raised the possibility that nitrites could be linked to cancer in laboratory rats. This suggestion received a lot of media attention. What received less media attention, however, was when it turned out that they were wrong. Indeed, the National Academy of Sciences, the American Cancer Society and the National Research Council all agree that there's no cancer risk from consuming sodium nitrite.

You really shouldn't copy and paste someone elses words on the internet without quoting and linking where those words came from.

They cant find a hard link, but it is suspected. That is not the same as, "they all agree there is no risk"

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/lousylabels/processedmeat.html

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/News/ExpertVoices/post/2011/03/31/Hot-dog!-Headlines-Can-Be-Deceiving.aspx

They are bad for you in other ways as well.

"Just how much of a concern are these processed meats in terms of cancer risk? A number of studies have suggested that people who eat even a relatively small amount of them over many years can increase the risk of colorectal cancer. In a study our American Cancer Society researchers published in the Journal of the American Medical Association a few years ago, high consumption of processed meat over 10 years was associated with a 50 percent increased risk in cancer of the lower colon and rectum. High consumption was defined as 1 oz. per day, 5-6 times per week for men, and 1 oz. per day, 2-3 days per week for women. (To give you a frame of reference, the typical bun length hot dog is about 2 oz.; 2 slices of cooked bacon are about an ounce)."
    From above cancer society link
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

You really shouldn't copy and paste someone elses words on the internet without quoting and linking where those words came from.

They cant find a hard link, but it is suspected. That is not the same as, "they all agree there is no risk"

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/lousylabels/processedmeat.html

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/News/ExpertVoices/post/2011/03/31/Hot-dog!-Headlines-Can-Be-Deceiving.aspx

They are bad for you in other ways as well.

"Just how much of a concern are these processed meats in terms of cancer risk? A number of studies have suggested that people who eat even a relatively small amount of them over many years can increase the risk of colorectal cancer. In a study our American Cancer Society researchers published in the Journal of the American Medical Association a few years ago, high consumption of processed meat over 10 years was associated with a 50 percent increased risk in cancer of the lower colon and rectum. High consumption was defined as 1 oz. per day, 5-6 times per week for men, and 1 oz. per day, 2-3 days per week for women. (To give you a frame of reference, the typical bun length hot dog is about 2 oz.; 2 slices of cooked bacon are about an ounce)."
    From above cancer society link
    Most people don't eat the same thing every single day, especially bacon, except maybe the guys from epic mealtime, even if there was a grain of truth to that. The real truth is, nobody knows what cures or causes cancer yet or it wouldn't be a problem. What causes cancer today, cures it tomorrow. I'd just stop worshipping pundits as word of god and eat what I normally eat.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    yeah if you like killing pigs :wink:
    Well who the heck DOESN'T?