Bacon is better then peanutbutter! (protein)

Options

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Jif is nasty. Sugar and all that added. Bleh.

Get REAL peanut butter. A little goes a long way.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone doesn't understand the concept of healthy fats. BTW Smuckers Natural = best PB.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I love bacon so much if there was a Bacon scented Fabreze, my house would smell like bacon all the time. You know those I married bacon commercials? DId I say I love bacon yet?

So...let me make sure I have it right. You...love bacon?
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I like both bacon and peanut butter. PB is a great vegetarian protein. It's also got a lot of nutrients in it that things like bacon don't. I'll take the fat in peanut butter over the fat in bacon any day.

Yup!

Edit: When I do eat PB, it's the natural PB, not Jiff and the other junk you find in most grocery stores....
  • CaseyP1207
    CaseyP1207 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree with most on here....the fat in PB is much different than the fat in bacon. Check out PB2!!!!! Good stuff!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter has healthy fat. It's a good source of protein, but it's a better source of fat.

This and Bacon, while I like bacon, most kinds are full of nitrates that cause cancer.

Several decades ago, some researchers raised the possibility that nitrites could be linked to cancer in laboratory rats. This suggestion received a lot of media attention. What received less media attention, however, was when it turned out that they were wrong. Indeed, the National Academy of Sciences, the American Cancer Society and the National Research Council all agree that there's no cancer risk from consuming sodium nitrite.

You really shouldn't copy and paste someone elses words on the internet without quoting and linking where those words came from.

They cant find a hard link, but it is suspected. That is not the same as, "they all agree there is no risk"

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/lousylabels/processedmeat.html

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/News/ExpertVoices/post/2011/03/31/Hot-dog!-Headlines-Can-Be-Deceiving.aspx

They are bad for you in other ways as well.

"Just how much of a concern are these processed meats in terms of cancer risk? A number of studies have suggested that people who eat even a relatively small amount of them over many years can increase the risk of colorectal cancer. In a study our American Cancer Society researchers published in the Journal of the American Medical Association a few years ago, high consumption of processed meat over 10 years was associated with a 50 percent increased risk in cancer of the lower colon and rectum. High consumption was defined as 1 oz. per day, 5-6 times per week for men, and 1 oz. per day, 2-3 days per week for women. (To give you a frame of reference, the typical bun length hot dog is about 2 oz.; 2 slices of cooked bacon are about an ounce)."
    From above cancer society link

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/seasoningflavoring/a/nitrates.htm
  • morgansmom02
    Options
    Peanut butter has healthy fat. It's a good source of protein, but it's a better source of fat.

This and Bacon, while I like bacon, most kinds are full of nitrates that cause cancer.

Several decades ago, some researchers raised the possibility that nitrites could be linked to cancer in laboratory rats. This suggestion received a lot of media attention. What received less media attention, however, was when it turned out that they were wrong. Indeed, the National Academy of Sciences, the American Cancer Society and the National Research Council all agree that there's no cancer risk from consuming sodium nitrite.

You really shouldn't copy and paste someone elses words on the internet without quoting and linking where those words came from.

They cant find a hard link, but it is suspected. That is not the same as, "they all agree there is no risk"

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/lousylabels/processedmeat.html

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/News/ExpertVoices/post/2011/03/31/Hot-dog!-Headlines-Can-Be-Deceiving.aspx

They are bad for you in other ways as well.

"Just how much of a concern are these processed meats in terms of cancer risk? A number of studies have suggested that people who eat even a relatively small amount of them over many years can increase the risk of colorectal cancer. In a study our American Cancer Society researchers published in the Journal of the American Medical Association a few years ago, high consumption of processed meat over 10 years was associated with a 50 percent increased risk in cancer of the lower colon and rectum. High consumption was defined as 1 oz. per day, 5-6 times per week for men, and 1 oz. per day, 2-3 days per week for women. (To give you a frame of reference, the typical bun length hot dog is about 2 oz.; 2 slices of cooked bacon are about an ounce)."
    From above cancer society link

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/seasoningflavoring/a/nitrates.htm

I once heard a celeb say that she got breast cancer from drinking out of plastic waster bottles that were in the sun.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    There is more to nutrition that how many macros one item has vs another. Sure, peanut butter is high in fat but it is HEALTHY fat. Heart healthy, essential fat your body needs. Bacon, on the other hand, has the unhealthy type of fat we get from fatty cuts of meat. Sure, it has more protein, but that alone doesn't make it "good for you."

Nutrition is more than just the number of calories and macros different foods have. Not all fats are bad, and just because something is low calorie doesn't mean it's good for you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of hearing Peanutbutter is good for you! Well it's really not, it is a poor source of protien for the amount of fat and calories.

jesus...

I was so ready to come in here and be nice and say something like, "You had me at bacon is better"

But really???

No one says PB is a good LOW CAL option for protein. They just say it's good for protein, which it is. Yes, for people who are really restricting their cals, PB might not be a good option... but no one is saying that. They are saying it's a good source of protein. Period. Individually you have to decide if PB fits into your macros or not.

Lets look at some nutritional information- Jif natural creamy- 2 Tbspn (not alot of food mind you), 190 Calories, 16 g Fat, 7g Protein.

Patrick Cudahy Thick Sliced Bacon- 4 cooked slices (mind you a serving is 1 slice!) 180 Calories, 16 g Fat, 12 g Protein

So 4 slices of Bacon has more Protein and less calories then Peanut Butter. Keeping that in mind, 4 slices of bacon is more then enough to make 2 BLT's (on low cal bread, ff mayo, lots tom, and lettice), crumble on a salad, eat as a side for breakfast, mix to an omelet, add to ff dips....ect Now what can we do with 2 Tbspn peanut butter. Add to a smoothie, eat it with fruit or veges, have a PBJ sandwhich.

Truely, I am niether a fan of Bacon or Peanut Butter but I'll eat some bacon before I even think about making a PBJ. I just want ppl aware there are better choices as far as protein, when you look at compairable fat and calories even bacon starts looking like more bang for your buck.

Yep, and 1 scoop of protein powder has fewer cals and more protein than either, so by your argument, bacon sucks as a protein option too, right?

And don't even get me started on the whole concept of healthy fat...
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My love for Bacon just grew a little more, thanks
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    pb-and-b.jpg
    There you go =P everyone wins! lol
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    your body needs fat too!!! peanut butter is a good source of protein & fat. Bacon is high in protein but is full of sodium which in high amounts is bad for you. I love bacon btw but i save it for the weekend.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    As my wife says when I ask her which shoes she's going to buy: "What's this 'or' *kitten*?"

Anyone who thinks 4 slices of bacon is enough for a BLT is an underachiever.

I like killing pigs. They're a magical creature from which we get many of the finest things in the world to eat: bacon, ham, sausage, ribs, pork chops, pork loin, chicharonnes, etc.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone doesn't understand the concept of healthy fats. BTW Smuckers Natural = best PB.

Truth! I love the unsalted. So freaking delicious. I could seriously just eat a whole jar of it at certain times, thankfully I do not! lol
  • FTClown
    FTClown Posts: 181
    Options
    Dude, no offense but I go with my doctor says, PB is very good for me.
  • FTClown
    FTClown Posts: 181
    Options
    I'm just curious as to why the OP refers to 'PBJ' - which I'm assuming is peanut better & jelly - as opposed to just PB... As an Australian, I've never understood the peanut butter & jelly (we call it jam) concept but I find it even more odd that some ppl can't seem to dis-associate the two! Lol... Just an observation :smile:

And as for my preference... Either! I'm a big fan of both Peanut Butter and Bacon! Preferrably not together though... :tongue:

Jelly and Jam are two different things, or at least I was raised that way here in the states to understand that.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Homer: I’ll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o’clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.
    Waitress: How about I just shove a pig down your throat?
    (Homer looks excited)
    Waitress: I was kidding.
    Homer: Fine, but the bacon man lives in a bacon house!
    Waitress: No he doesn’t!
  • morgansmom02
    Options
    Homer: I’ll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o’clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.
    (Homer looks excited)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    PB2 = 45 calories for 2 tablespoons, and tastes amazing.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    (Homer looks excited)

DOUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH, love it