Bacon is better then peanutbutter! (protein)

Options

Replies

• simplyAmanda89
    simplyAmanda89 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    why not dip the bacon in peanutbutter, get both lol
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    How about 2 slices of bacon dipped in 1TBS of PB? mmmmmm
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

LOL we had the same thought...and posted at the same time almost. mmmm bacon!
  • Flaming_Reef
    Flaming_Reef Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Both!
    Peanut butter with jam on my Magic Pop in the morning & bacon pieces on my salad in the afternoon.
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter. I love bacon. Both make things taste better: apples, carrots, bread and jelly, burgers, eggs, etc. I eat whatever I want, usually. Moderation is my mantra, and it's working (I've lost 6 pounds in the last 2.5 weeks!).
    Regarding health, though, peanut butter has WAY less saturated fat in it (and sodium, nitrites, etc), so it really is the better choice in a side by side comparison.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You're acting like we have to choose between one or the other. Thankfully we don't :bigsmile:
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good for you and good when dieting...fer real. Read this:

http://www.prevention.com/food/smart-shopping/healthy-eating-why-peanut-butter-good-you

I've been eating about a teaspoon in the middle of the day when I'm starting to crave junk. It really doesn't curb my appetite. I thought it was in my head until I read the article above.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    I just like food. GIMMIE BOTH!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would much prefer bacon, but I do eat the occasional peanut butter. The fats in it aren't as healthy as people want to believe. Peanut butter is kind of high in polyunsaturated fats and omega 6 and we get more than enough of these in our diets.
  • simplyAmanda89
    simplyAmanda89 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

LOL we had the same thought...and posted at the same time almost. mmmm bacon!

haha ya i noticed that! great minds think alike...or just hungry minds. Idk about you but bacon is pret-tty good
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily say peanut butter has "healthy" fats - even for the "reduced fat" version, the omega-6 to omega-3 fat ratio is 175:1. (reference: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/7407/2) (the regular version was 180:1.)

Bacon? omega-6 to omega-3 ratio of 22. (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pork-products/7356/2)

"Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA (a low omega-6/omega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18408140)

"Dietary changes over the past few decades in the intake of n-6 and n-3 PUFA show striking increases in the (n-6) to (n-3) ratio (~15 : 1), which are associated with greater metabolism of the n-6 PUFA compared with n-3 PUFA. Coinciding with this increase in the ratio of (n-6) : (n-3) PUFA are increases in chronic inflammatory diseases such as nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), cardiovascular disease, obesity, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), rheumatoid arthritis, and Alzheimer's disease (AD)." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22570770)

Sure, you could take omega-3 supplements to offset the peanut butter's omega-6 fat, but that's a LOT of fishy breath.
    Ok. Wanna talk real numbers instead of ratios? Both are very low sources of n-6 and n-3 fatty acids, and peanut butter actually contains higher amounts of monounsaturated fats, including oleic acid. In fact, peanut butter has a higher percentage of monounsaturated fat than saturated and polyunsaturated combined. To be fair, when you break down equal calorie amounts of both products, it's basically a wash, each has it's advantages, each has it's disadvantages. I eat both daily, personally.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious as to why the OP refers to 'PBJ' - which I'm assuming is peanut better & jelly - as opposed to just PB... As an Australian, I've never understood the peanut butter & jelly (we call it jam) concept but I find it even more odd that some ppl can't seem to dis-associate the two! Lol... Just an observation :smile:

And as for my preference... Either! I'm a big fan of both Peanut Butter and Bacon! Preferrably not together though... :tongue:

Jelly and Jam are two different things, or at least I was raised that way here in the states to understand that.
    They are two different things, jellies are made from fruit juice, while jams are made from fruit purees.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I love Bacon but peanut butter is easier to cook :)

Bacon has a lot of salt and PB has a lot of sugar (yes I know you can get kinds without too much but most pb does). So, it just depends on the day!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Bacon = satured fat, peanut butter = unsatured fat (which is better), but I love them both (just not together)
  • als1210
    als1210 Posts: 8
    Options
    Why have I never heard of this bacon and peanut butter together until now? Sounds kinda weird to me, but I've never tried it.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The only thing better than that peanut butter, bacon sandwich would be adding a light sprinkling of dark chocolate chips
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    ewww together??!! but i really want some bacon now....*takes out EVOO*

oh and p.s. you should all get the Extra Lean Jennie O Turkey Bacon if you're worried about saturated fat
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    <---- Firm believer in PB. Has a min 4Tbsp a day quota. If peanuts were bad for you, how come Dumbo loved them soo much? Chinese riddle for you.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I like 'em both. But I eat peanut butter more often, because it is way easier for me to spread a Tbsp on a piece of whole wheat toast before work than it is to stand at the stove frying bacon.
  • JupitersGhost
    Options
    I haven't read other people's reply to this post, but I actually eat peanut butter for the fat content (and it's delicious). It's more good fat than bad afterall and it's certainly not going to cause you to get fat either, unless you're eating a whole tub.

Also, as a vegetarian the point about bacon being better protein wise is a moot point.