If you could give only one tip.....

Options
lhaas24
lhaas24 Posts: 92 Member
for someone starting out, what would it be?

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. It didn't come on overnight and it's not going to come off overnight.

Water, Water, Water.

Identify your weaknesses, figure out if you can cut back and if you can't go cold turkey. Some foods trigger some people. If you can do without them, you'll be better off.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Watch for hidden calories and sodium
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry, food is not the answer.

If you bite it, write it.
  • smemilypfeif
    Options
    Great question! I'm still starting out too, but so far, the best I can say is to keep at it - do it all the way - and you WILL see changes. Good luck!
  • dpjoyce1
    dpjoyce1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I will give two....

Buy a scale and weigh things. What I found was that I thought things weighed more than they did. I found that I could have more (beef/chicken/etc) than I thought when I weighed it and I could enjoy it more because I wasn't stressing over the unknown.

Second...

Water, Water, Water.... I didn't buy into this at first but once I went and doubled my water intake the affects were tremendous.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Find healthy things that make you happy. Exercise is easy to stick with you in a form you enjoy. Eating healthy doesn't feel like deprivation if it tastes good.
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

If you bite it, write it.

haha i love this!

stick to it and don't be scared to treat yourself once in a while!
    Its a lifestyle change not a diet!
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Never under estimate the power of exercise
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you stop losing weight, up your calories. Don't be afraid to, either.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself if you have a bad day,we all fall sometimes just get back up and move forward
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Get a (good/chest strap) heart rate monitor to record your exercise, don't rely on the numbers given by machines or MFP.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Wait, we're giving just the tip? How many girls actually fell for this in high school? ;)
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    One tip is usually enough.

Unless...
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Dont take the people in the "Chit Chat Fun and Games" forum seriously. Hahaha, We are horrible.

Edit: Actually... just make sure you have a sense of humor reading most of these forums. :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    1. Patience, grasshopper.

2. Please get off the scale at the following times:
    -after you binged
    -TOM (if applicable)
    -any other time you are within a day or two after doing/eating something outside your "norm"

Nothing good will come out of you getting on the scale at these times and no you didn't "gain" 4 lbs-I don't care what you ate.

3. Take a deep breath and relax. Eat better/less and move more and eventually It will happen. Refer to point #1.

4. If you are weak, tired, dizzy, faint, or suffering other malaise-eat something. If symptoms persist, see a doctor.
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You need to eat to lose!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    log EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING,EVERYTHING, yes what you drink and ketchup and BBQ sauce, if it goes into your Body LOG IT.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3QHPeP0IZ135bWO5LdJRA_W_Bmswougfa6d-b_qiXZIjHqPg3kw
  • Drevious
    Drevious Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's easier if you eat the same thing every day in the beginning. Choose a breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks that you love and can look forward to but all meet your caloric and nutrition goals.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    it would be that it's never only the tip.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!