If you could give only one tip.....

Options

Replies

• Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    DONT weigh yourself everyday..its torture and discouraging once a month/every 2 weeks is much better
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    If you fall off the wagon and eat a ton or don't exercise one day, don't beat yourself up about it. Don't dwell in that feeling, learn to forgive yourself and move on to the next healthy thing. Remaining consistent despite your set-backs will drive you straight to the top. Then your new healthy choices will evenetually become your habits.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    If you dont want to exercise, still go for a walk (trick your body into thinking you're lazy when in fact you are working out!)
  • deannalynne73
    deannalynne73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have SO many little tips but my biggest tip for people just starting is to PLAN AHEAD. It has been the number one key to my success so far. And when I don't do it, I start slacking and things come to a stand still.

And by planning ahead I mean:

Schedule time in your day or week for activity. Have your gym bag packed and in your car or your work out clothes ready to go for whenever you decide to work out or be active. If you make it a routine, it becomes easier.

Measure out food and snacks as soon as you get home from the grocery store in tupperwares and baggies with the calories written right on it.

If you are going out to eat, track your meal first (if you haven't been their they probably have a menu online).

As soon as you are up in the morning, sit down at your computer and track as much of your food and meals for that day as possible. In fact, track as much for the next day too. When you know for sure what you are going to be eating and when, you know how many calories you can spend when it comes to snack time or indulging in a treat or drink.

Also when I plan ahead to cook something for dinner, I look forward to that meal all day when I'm at work, and as soon as I get home I'm excited to start preparing it.

Great advice!! Thanks! :)
  • deannalynne73
    deannalynne73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I can't give just one...LOL

1. Measure everything...intake and exercise
    2. Drink your water and then drink some more
    3. Challenge yourself with exercise...never settle into a groove and get comfortable.
    4. Mix weights and cardio
    5. Eat good healthy food in proper proportions. Lean meats, nuts, beans, veggies, fruits, low-fat cheese, whole grain carbs, avocados.
    6. Sleep at least 6-8 hours a day
    7. Take a rest day when your body tells you to
    8. Don't obsess the scale
    9. Make peace that this is a journey and there is no final destination...only milestones.

Awesome advice! Thank you! :)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Take measurements because the scale is not always your friend.
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    portion control
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    AVOID mfp Forums. that is all.

They get me through the work day...Id actually have to do stuff I get paid for if it wasnt for MFP forums...

Can I have your job??? lol
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Listen to the cues your body gives you and do what works for it.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have a lot, but my #1: track everything, every day
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    NEVER give up! If you want it bad enough you will make it happen
  • juwan24
    juwan24 Posts: 27
    Options
    3 words. Make a Plan

The thing that's helped me the most is to plan out the week ahead. I've got an excel sheet that factors eating, exercise and normal calories burned by living. Then does the math for how much I should lose that week if I stick to it. Really helps in exercise motivation as it's almost as if it's already written down, so I have to go even though my brain says stay in bed. Also keeps you aware of it being a marathon not a sprint. It's hard sometimes when the scale moves 1 pound a week, but seeing the numbers calculated out knowing that's the objective makes it easier.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    1. Don't quit.
    2. Repeat step one over and over.:happy:
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Globogym *owned* lol

One day at a time.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Give up white bread. Eat wholegrains especially bran, high fibre, that is if you're not gluten intolerant.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Drink tons of water and have fun with loosing weight ...THE SKY IS THE LIMIT:)
  • Tangerine16
    Tangerine16 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry, food is not the answer.

If you bite it, write it.

Haaa, and if you nibble it, scribble it!!! ;-D

And if you imbibe it, scribe it!
  • sharlowbrla
    Options
    super great tips. i have been having trouble with the water but i saw so many posts about it that i def need to do a better job at it. thanks for all the tips.!!
  • bethb03
    bethb03 Posts: 96
    Options
    Never forget the reason why you started....

this!! SOMETHING made us decided we had to make a change, don't lose sight of it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!