I find this inconsiderate

Options
12346»

Replies

• tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't say it (and I'm not on the forum enough to see repeated threads keep coming up anyway), but I do sort of understand the frustration of people that post on here a lot and see the same questions over and over again. Although, I've never used the search function on this board, so if it's *kitten*, then I can't really blame the question posters at all.

Here's my argument for this, because I hear this a lot.
    We should not be expected to use the search option. The people who originally posted the questions got the benefit of a conversation - direct answers to their questions by real people. The new people could certainly look up those old questions, but then it would be answers to someone else's question, in effect making this a database instead of a community. New people should get the same joy of putting out a question and seeing responses by people that care.
    Old people should realize that the new people want that same experience and not expect them to just look up their old history.

This exactly! I once looked up a question on an old thread (because I remembered reading about the search button from other posters) and I basically found my answer, but I had more questions but because it was an old thread, I didn't post on it because I didn't feel like it would be answered. I would have much rather preferred starting a new thread and I definitely will do that next time. Plus, it would have been fun to have an actual conversation with somebody who has had the same experiences.
  • HealthyBride5_3_13
    Options
    I agree with you, it's rude and obnoxious.

^^^This
  • shariTN
    shariTN Posts: 53
    Options
    Every time someone does that we should all say " Here we go again, someone being rude"
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't say it (and I'm not on the forum enough to see repeated threads keep coming up anyway), but I do sort of understand the frustration of people that post on here a lot and see the same questions over and over again. Although, I've never used the search function on this board, so if it's *kitten*, then I can't really blame the question posters at all.

We should not be expected to use the search option. The people who originally posted the questions got the benefit of a conversation - direct answers to their questions by real people. The new people could certainly look up those old questions, but then it would be answers to someone else's question, in effect making this a database instead of a community. New people should get the same joy of putting out a question and seeing responses by people that care.
    Old people should realize that the new people want that same experience and not expect them to just look up their old history.

I completely agree, its out of control. Awesome that those who want everyone to use the 'search' feature knows it all already, but they learned it from someone else, more than likely who paid it forward, so maybe extend the same courtesy. Just my thoughts....
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is rude. I know there is a search button, but I am not sure how long I was on MFP before I realized it and utilized it. If the post bothers you or upsets you, don't be rude just keep going and ignore it. Its really not that difficult. We need more kindness on the message boards...
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As a senior majoring in Management Information Systems, I can say that redundancy on these threads is at an astronomical level.

I mean, how can you not get a little aggravated when you see someone who gets on here and say, "how can I loose weight, I've tried 31349 other diets and failed, HELP ME PLEASE" , and when you look at their profile, they have no picture, an empty diary, and no information. They probably worked really hard to research the topic.

Ten minutes of research and you can probably find all of the answers you're looking for and some!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree with you there OP. Another pet peeve that I have is that some people have an over-inflated sense of righteousness. Especially if someone asks about diet supplements/pills and how they have worked for previous users. You always get that one person that calls the person asking the question stupid for even asking.

Truth is different things work different people. If you have nothing nice to say, don't post anything at all!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I agree with this!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I also don't mind answering the same questions over again, because I realize that not everyone has been a member for a year and a half.

And say someone posts a follow-up question to an existing topic that's already 10 pages long. How many people are going to read through the whole thread again to see the new question on page 10? Most will skim the first page, respond to something on the first post, and skip the rest. New question will get completely ignored, and maybe buried behind three pages of "bump."

Plus... the search feature on this site absolutely SUCKS! The only way I can find a topic I'm looking for, is to use Google. MFP's search returns individual posts, not topics, and there's no way to sort them by relevance.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is ACTUALLY a long time forum user would know that most people just don't search. There's nothing that can be done about it.

Now if you start a thread and get good advice but you don't wanna hear it because it's not the answer you were looking for... I got no time for you Jack.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    well I will be inconsiderate in saying - search the boards first to see if you can get your answer before posting. Sometimes it helps to troll because I know myself, if I had a question, I would search the boards thinking I could not be the only person wondering this.

Oh wait that might be common sense - what was I thinking