It's NOT Just Calories In VS Calories Out!!!

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No. It's not. It's a lot of different factors, including the female hormones. Anyone who says it's not, well, he hasn't gone through menopause. :laugh:

This is part of the "calories out" side of the equation.
    How's that? (please do your best to not be snarky, thanks)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I also realize that alot of us are here because we have made a lifetime of bad choices and have fallen into a habit of eatting very unhealthy food. It is unrealistic to expect us to go from eatting fast food daily to eating completely clean. Baby steps.

So, Calories in VS Calories out is a good first step for us newbies. In this process we will learn that the healthier options often have less calories, and will replace them. We will also learn by experience how crappy processed food will make us feel.
    I agree totally about the first part. Take one step at a time. I think calories in VS calories out is short sighted, though, even for newbies. This is the best time to practice a sustainable diet, and that means eating more fruits and veggies, and making it a point to avoid as many processed items as possible. Remove them your diet one at a time, if need be. Taking those few extra steps will give you better and more immediate results, and make you feel more motivation to continue.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    No. It's not. It's a lot of different factors, including the female hormones. Anyone who says it's not, well, he hasn't gone through menopause. :laugh:

In terms of fat loss, hormonal changes effect metabolic efficiency.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Ah so calories in calories out really covers everything when you tweak it every which way. Now when we say that over and over and over and over to women trying to lose, do we factor that in? No, not usually. We just say "calories in calories out" and then they get discouraged and quit.
    We have women on here in menopause (and no, it's not just "metabolic efficiency"). We have women who've just had a baby. We have women with PCOS all having a hard time getting the pounds to shift.
    And then we have (primarily shirtless men) telling them it's "just calories in calories out".
    Not so helpful, nor motivating as far as I'm concerned.

cheers!
  • Rocbola
    Options
    this thread again, huh?

I think its required at least once a day.
    If it bores you, why are you here commenting?

I'm here commenting on it because it comes up on "recent forum topics" on the homepage. That's why. Don't you all get bored posting the same things over and over?
    When did i post this before? I never did. You see, this is an internet forum, there are many different people in it. It's not just one guy posting every thread. I hope this clears up any confusion. And just because it comes up doesn't mean you have to click on it, and if you click on it, it doesn't mean you have to respond.
  • caroncarlson
    caroncarlson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    All I have to say about this is that I know for myself, if I eat "real" food and do regular moderate exercise, I feel better, I can eat more without negative consequence, and do not crave those things I am trying to avoid. The other day I realized I hadn't had a can of pop for two weeks and I wasn't even trying to avoid it. Cool!
  • Rocbola
    Options

Metabolic efficiency? Darn, i knew i forgot something! I also forgot to mention sleep/circadian rhythm. There are so many factors besides simple calories in/calories out!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Weight loss IS calories in/calories out. Overall health, well that is a different story, I suppose.

If you eat fast food and junk, but have a calorie deficit.. you will lose weight. If you eat foods that are good for you, but have a calorie deficit... you will lose weight. Plain and simple. Weight loss is about burning more calories than you take in. Plain and simple.

I am not perfect as far as eating goes. I love cookies and enjoy M&M's in my Greek yogurt everyday. I still eat processed foods because sometimes? Well, sometimes life just gets in the way.

I maintain my weight AND all of my blood work and tests have come back "excellent" or "textbook perfect".

Worry about what is best for YOU and don't worry what someone else is doing to their body. Some people may consider my "diet" sketchy, but it works for me and my body... so why worry about what I'm doing?
  • Rocbola
    Options
    All I have to say about this is that I know for myself, if I eat "real" food and do regular moderate exercise, I feel better, I can eat more without negative consequence, and do not crave those things I am trying to avoid. The other day I realized I hadn't had a can of pop for two weeks and I wasn't even trying to avoid it. Cool!
    Awesome!!!! I love that term "real" food.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I agree totally about the first part. Take one step at a time. I think calories in VS calories out is short sighted, though, even for newbies. This is the best time to practice a sustainable diet, and that means eating more fruits and veggies, and making it a point to avoid as many processed items as possible.

Exactly. Of course it's possible (and not even that hard) to lose weight on a diet filled with big macs and twinkies as long as you monitor your calories. As long as the motivation stays high you'll be fine. But what happens when you hit your goal weight, and stop getting positive feedback every week when you step on the scale? Pretty soon the motivation will start to go away. If you failed to make sustainable lifestyle changes, the weight will just come back, possibly worse than before.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Metabolic efficiency? Darn, i knew i forgot something! I also forgot to mention sleep/circadian rhythm. There are so many factors besides simple calories in/calories out!

"Metabolic efficiency" as in how many calories are burned, a.k.a. calories out. You're not really helping yourself.
  • Pomoch325
    Pomoch325 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's not "short sited", it's called realizing what we are actually doing to our bodies. Realizing how much we ACTUALLY are taking in vs what we ACTUALLY are burning. Many of us never realized the total amount of calories we were actually eatting.

Watching Calories in vs calories out daily forms a habit, a habit of EATTING LESS AND MOVING MORE, which is what I personally need to do. It is an excellent first step for me, and not short sited at all. I know what I need to do, but I won't be able to maintain it if I make 100% change overnight.

I have made drastic changes before... Every crash diet is a drastic change. I have never stuck to a one.

Making slow progress is working for me, and I bet it will work for others. I applaud those of you who can completely eliminate unhealthy food overnight, but I am not one of them.

Edited to add: I just wanted to add that I am trying to add healthier choices. I have been fast food free for over 2.5 weeks. I have added more fresh fruits and veggies and more lean meats. I do not need the praise for motivation, it is coming from within. I also have PCOS, so I do understand that hormones have a major impact on weight loss. I could lose drastically with a high protein diet, but for me, it isn't a sustainable diet. I am choosing something I will live with lifelong.
  • Rocbola
    Options

"Metabolic efficiency" as in how many calories are burned, a.k.a. calories out. You're not really helping yourself.
    And why do some people have a different metabolism than others? Is there anything you can do to change your own metabolic efficiency rate, i wonder? Eating a proper diet, and exercising regularly don't affect this rate? This rate is steadfast throughout life?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I agree totally about the first part. Take one step at a time. I think calories in VS calories out is short sighted, though, even for newbies. This is the best time to practice a sustainable diet, and that means eating more fruits and veggies, and making it a point to avoid as many processed items as possible.

Exactly. Of course it's possible (and not even that hard) to lose weight on a diet filled with big macs and twinkies as long as you monitor your calories. As long as the motivation stays high you'll be fine. But what happens when you hit your goal weight, and stop getting positive feedback every week when you step on the scale? Pretty soon the motivation will start to go away. If you failed to make sustainable lifestyle changes, the weight will just come back, possibly worse than before.
    Actually, I tink that would be very hard for me to lose weight on, being in menopause, with all the hormonal shifts going on.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

And why do some people have a different metabolism than others? Is there anything you can do to change your own metabolic efficiency rate, i wonder? Eating a proper diet, and exercising regularly don't affect this rate? This rate is steadfast throughout life?

Hello children. Today's word is "strawman".

Can you say "strawman"?

I bet you can.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I ate processed food (with high fructose corn syrup and that other crap) and carbs, I didn't lose any weight. Now still with the same amount of calories I eat clean food and more protein and keep losing.......

You sound like me.....totally agree with YOU!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, the weight loss process consists of much more than calories in versus calories out, but it's the most practical system, given our current knowledge of physiology and the willingness of people to keep detailed , accurate records of their food intake, exercise, sleep and other cycles.

If you create a consistent calorie deficit and exercise at the right level you will lose weight over time.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    You haven't addressed Acg's comments yet and I was waiting to see what you had to say.

The official odds are:

graphics-tap-dance-709997.gif 60%

crickets.gif 40%

For those of you keeping score, it's crickets for the win.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Hello children. Today's word is "strawman".

Can you say "strawman"?

I bet you can.
    can you make it through a conversation without being rude?
  • sandflower81
    sandflower81 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone but I have to agree with the original post. If I eat processed foods (even if they are supposedly healthy) and meat... my weight loss is so slow! The more I eat fresh, raw fruits and vegetables the weight just flies off! I honestly don't understand it because I'm eating the same amount of calories but I'll lose weight a gazzilion times faster. So interesting.