It's NOT Just Calories In VS Calories Out!!!

Options

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    No. It's not. It's a lot of different factors, including the female hormones. Anyone who says it's not, well, he hasn't gone through menopause. :laugh:

This is part of the "calories out" side of the equation.
    How's that? (please do your best to not be snarky, thanks)

In terms of fat loss, hormonal changes effect metabolic efficiency.
    Metabolic efficiency? Darn, i knew i forgot something! I also forgot to mention sleep/circadian rhythm. There are so many factors besides simple calories in/calories out!

"Metabolic efficiency" as in how many calories are burned, a.k.a. calories out. You're not really helping yourself.
    And why do some people have a different metabolism than others? Is there anything you can do to change your own metabolic efficiency rate, i wonder? Eating a proper diet, and exercising regularly don't affect this rate? This rate is steadfast throughout life?

Hello children. Today's word is "strawman".

Can you say "strawman"?

I bet you can.
    can you make it through a conversation without being rude?
    Not likely.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My mom is proof that WHAT you eat affects your health. By diet modification (not calorie modification), she has stabilized her blood sugar, drastically lowered her blood pressure and her cholesterol markers and no longer requires medication. She has not lost weight and does not exercise. Living proof right there.

Look at all the studies on Mediterranean diet and how it helps your cholesterol, etc.

Sure, there is a study for everything, but living proof, my 68 yo mother, is all I need to know that WHAT you eat affects your blood and your health markers.
  • Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone but I have to agree with the original post. If I eat processed foods (even if they are supposedly healthy) and meat... my weight loss is so slow! The more I eat fresh, raw fruits and vegetables the weight just flies off! I honestly don't understand it because I'm eating the same amount of calories but I'll lose weight a gazzilion times faster. So interesting.
    Thank you for sharing. People's personal experiences, like yours, mean 1000 times more than any one-liner opinion.
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Because you naturally lose muscle mass as you age, your metabolic rate will decrease. A good way to increase your metabolic rate is to increase your mucle mass. Even at rest, muscle cells require more energy to simply exist (than do fat cells.) So, if you are strength training to increase lean muscle mass, it will increase metabolism. This means you're burning more calories even as you are sleeping, sitting, etc. than if you had less lean muscle. Also, strength training (especailly importany for menopausal women) increases your bone strength and density. This helps to ward off osteoporosis. Keeping active, resistance/strength training, and retaining lean muscle mass is super important as we age.

In other words: It's not about the hormones.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    My mom is proof that WHAT you eat affects your health. By diet modification (not calorie modification), she has stabilized her blood sugar, drastically lowered her blood pressure and her cholesterol markers and no longer requires medication. She has not lost weight and does not exercise. Living proof right there.

Look at all the studies on Mediterranean diet and how it helps your cholesterol, etc.

Sure, there is a study for everything, but living proof, my 68 yo mother, is all I need to know that WHAT you eat affects your blood and your health markers.
    Thank you for sharing.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    No. It's not. It's a lot of different factors, including the female hormones. Anyone who says it's not, well, he hasn't gone through menopause. :laugh:

Metabolic efficiency? Darn, i knew i forgot something! I also forgot to mention sleep/circadian rhythm. There are so many factors besides simple calories in/calories out!

"Metabolic efficiency" as in how many calories are burned, a.k.a. calories out. You're not really helping yourself.
    And why do some people have a different metabolism than others? Is there anything you can do to change your own metabolic efficiency rate, i wonder? Eating a proper diet, and exercising regularly don't affect this rate? This rate is steadfast throughout life?

Nobody here argued that everyone has the same metabolic rate, that you can't change it, or that it's steadfast throughout your life. We're saying that weight loss does ultimately come down to calories in vs calories out. Whatever your own metabolic rate at any given time, if you eat less than that, you WILL lose weight of some form or another. Actually knowing your calories out is another thing altogether.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Because you naturally lose muscle mass as you age, your metabolic rate will decrease. A good way to increase your metabolic rate is to increase your mucle mass. Even at rest, muscle cells require more energy to simply exist (than do fat cells.) So, if you are strength training to increase lean muscle mass, it will increase metabolism. This means you're burning more calories even as you are sleeping, sitting, etc. than if you had less lean muscle. Also, strength training (especailly importany for menopausal women) increases your bone strength and density. This helps to ward off osteoporosis. Keeping active, resistance/strength training, and retaining lean muscle mass is super important as we age.
    Thank you. Great point!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I can't speak for others but I would not lose weight, if I would eat that.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    :laugh:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump to read tonight. It's too nice outside right now!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Calories out
    In other words: It's not about the hormones.

Our hormones affect our ability to add or maintain muscle mass.
  • Rocbola
    Options

Nobody here argued that everyone has the same metabolic rate, that you can't change it, or that it's steadfast throughout your life. We're saying that weight loss does ultimately come down to calories in vs calories out. Whatever your own metabolic rate at any given time, if you eat less than that, you WILL lose weight of some form or another. Actually knowing your calories out is another thing altogether.
    But you can increase your calories out and decrease your calories in by eating better food and by changing your metabolic rate. What i said in the OP was that there are other factors involved. I wanted to communicate that fact to newbies, because i see a lot of threads where newbies are saying "Why is my progress so slow?"
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    For those of you keeping score, it's crickets for the win.

Oh you didn't see?

Do blood markers of health generally improve or worsen when losing weight regardless of the composition of the diet?

I'd be interested to know. If you have any data, studies, or links, please share.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

But you can increase your calories out and decrease your calories in by eating better food and by changing your metabolic rate. What i said in the OP was that there are other factors involved. I wanted to communicate that fact to newbies, because i see a lot of threads where newbies are saying "Why is my progress so slow?"

So it still boils down to calories in vs calories out.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    The guy is encouraging to drink more, live a less stressful life and not eat crap loaded with chemicals. No need to bash on him for that.

Weight-loss comes from persistence. People have lost weight living on McD's but then there are anorexics who have lost weight denying themselves food too. calories in/out is ofcourse a major part of it but what good is weight-loss if you're left with no energy to enjoy it.

Once again, forums don't fail to disappoint me where wannabe e-thugs come in here. The self-righteousness in strong among them. I wonder if these are the people who walk up to strangers at gym who're doing long sessions of cardio and start telling how stupid they are for ignoring weight-training.

@OP: Thanks for putting this up. You have brought some good info to some of us who choose to listen. It must be so difficult for some folks here see somebody disagree with them
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

So your mom is eating the exact same amout of calories as she did before and dropped the weight? Or the change in what she ate led to an automatic decrease in the amout of calories she was eating?
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

That's valid, and a great thing to do. The wording is what's causing so much disagreement. I think a better way of putting it is:

While ultimately weight loss boils down to calories in vs calories out, there are a number of factors one can take into consideration to tip the energy balance scale in your favor, including [insert some of the things you mentioned in the OP here].
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    Sometimes the more simple we keep things the better we are. It all comes down to In vs Out.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I have to exercise a lot in order to lose weight. Even at a deficit I just don't lose unless I'm exercising.

Me either!