It's NOT Just Calories In VS Calories Out!!!

Options

Replies

• wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I appologize, I thought it said she lost weight. Reading too fast. What Acg was asking was do blood health markers improve in people who have lost weight, regardless of what they eat.
    I know it was a rhetorical question, but I will answer anyway.
    The "twinkie diet" showed us that markers of health do indeed improve when body composition improves. In fact, body composition is statistically a better indicator of overall health than all other notable indicators, as it is highly correlated to virtually every indicator of health.
    I wonder how the blood health would look after 20 years on that diet?
    Probably still better than after 20 years of being obese.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I appologize, I thought it said she lost weight. Reading too fast. What Acg was asking was do blood health markers improve in people who have lost weight, regardless of what they eat.
    The "twinkie diet" showed us that markers of health do indeed improve when body composition improves. In fact, body composition is statistically a better indicator of overall health than all other notable indicators, as it is highly correlated to virtually every indicator of health.

I don't like the twinkie diet as an example, even though its the epitome of what we're talking about. No one here is just eating twinkies. Eating less then what you burn will make you lose weight and losing fat creates a better body composition. Better body composition equals better health.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Feel free to devote your body to doing the first long term study. Fruits and vegetables for me. Fruits and vegetables are good for you. Salt, excessive fats, stress, Mr. Swanson, processed foods, food chemicals, sedentary lifestyle, poor sleep, etc are bad for you, EVEN IF YOU DON'T GAIN WEIGHT.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Read about Caldwell Esselstyn's 20 year study on nutrition's effect on heart disease.

Please provide primary sources. So far as I can tell, Esselstyn is basing his conclusions on the steaming pile of crap known as the China Study.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

I don't know when 20 years came into the picture. We were talking about losing weight, not a compilation of what a person eats for 20 years. it doesn't take 20 years to lose weight, you're talking now about what has been eaten in maintenence.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Feel free to devote your body to doing the first long term study. Fruits and vegetables for me. Fruits and vegetables are good for you. Salt, excessive fats, stress, Mr. Swanson, processed foods, food chemicals, sedentary lifestyle, poor sleep, etc are bad for you, EVEN IF YOU DON'T GAIN WEIGHT.

Prove it.
  • Rocbola
    Options

I don't like the twinkie diet as an example, even though its the epitome of what we're talking about. No one here is just eating twinkies. Eating less then what you burn will make you lose weight and losing fat creates a better body composition. Better body composition equals better health.
    Better body composition is not the only factor in good health. If you think eating crappy chemical laden man-made nutrient-devoid food is good for you, as long as you keep it under a certain amount of calories, than you are in for some troubles later in life.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Again. You're talking about long term diet, not what relates to immediate weight loss.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

I don't know when 20 years came into the picture. We were talking about losing weight, not a compilation of what a person eats for 20 years. it doesn't take 20 years to lose weight, you're talking now about what has been eaten in maintenence.

The term is "moving the goalposts", a common tactic employed by those that cannot support their original claims.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Better body composition is not the only factor in good health. If you think eating crappy chemical laden man-made nutrient-devoid food is good for you, as long as you keep it under a certain amount of calories, than you are in for some troubles later in life.

Who has argued that eating crap is good for you? We are just saying, only deficit matters in weight loss. I wouldn't recommend only eating two big macs a day, but you'd lose weight.
  • Rocbola
    Options

Prove it.
    You need proof that junk food is bad for you? And that fruits/vegetables are good for you? Really? REALLY!?!?!? No i wont prove it, i don't need to, nor do i have any desire to. It makes intuitive sense to anyone who wants to listen to their own bodies. Try it out. Eat nothing but fruits and veggies for 30 days, and see how you feel.

But you wont do that.

You never seem to discuss what YOU think IS healthy food, but you are always there to ask someone else to prove their point. I am beginning to suspect that you are a representative of the junk food industry, here to spread disinformation.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    You never seem to discuss what YOU think IS healthy food, but you are always there to ask someone else to prove their point.

The burden of proof falls on the person making the claim.

I am beginning to suspect that you are a representative of the junk food industry, here to spread disinformation.

6bdaeb5c_tin-foil-hat_thumb.jpeg
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    That is possibly true, but if you think that being morbidly obese and eating 'clean' is healthier, then you are mistaken (one of my vegan friends was just told that he would be dead within 5 years if he didn't lose a lot of weight... totally healthy diet, but too much food. 179/120 blood pressure, pre-diabetic, etc.)

You can look at my diary... I don't exactly eat 'clean' (although I don't eat fast food). My diet consists of a lot of eggs, meat, tons of carbs (most of it refined). Burgers/steak and ice cream are regular dinners, and I will sometimes eat an entire box of frosted flakes in one sitting... yet I have 105/65 blood pressure, a RHR of 50, and all indicators of health are at the outside bound of normal (in the words of my physician, I am the "most disgustingly healthy" person he has ever seen). Why? Because I control my caloric intake, I exercise regularly, and I have single-digit body fat and 45% skeletal muscle (soon to be MOAR!).

I think if you eat total crap, then it will definitely adversely impact your health. But someone who is morbidly obese and eats great food is still going to be less healthy than someone who is fit and eats total crap. Carbs/proteins/fats are very similar from the perspective of the body... it is used to getting by on a variety of sources, as a result of our evolution. We did NOT evolve to carry around 40+% body fat.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    You never seem to discuss what YOU think IS healthy food, but you are always there to ask someone else to prove their point. I am beginning to suspect that you are a representative of the junk food industry, here to spread disinformation.

I think this thread is over.
  • Rocbola
    Options

I think this thread is over.
    Then leave.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Prove it.

Labeling foods "healthy" or "unhealthy" without taking into consideration how they fit into the context of your total diet and in what amounts is silly. Maybe the exception is synthetic trans fats
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Love it!! and it's so true....people that don't lose weight don't buy this....and that is why the fail!!

Glad you posted it!! Thank you!!
  • Rocbola
    Options

Read about Caldwell Esselstyn's 20 year study on nutrition's effect on heart disease.

Please provide primary sources. So far as I can tell, Esselstyn is basing his conclusions on the steaming pile of crap known as the China Study.
    Read about Caldwell Esselstyn's OWN 20 year study on nutrition's effect on heart disease
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Read about Caldwell Esselstyn's OWN 20 year study on nutrition's effect on heart disease

Link?
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My mom is proof that WHAT you eat affects your health. By diet modification (not calorie modification), she has stabilized her blood sugar, drastically lowered her blood pressure and her cholesterol markers and no longer requires medication. She has not lost weight and does not exercise. Living proof right there.

Look at all the studies on Mediterranean diet and how it helps your cholesterol, etc.

Sure, there is a study for everything, but living proof, my 68 yo mother, is all I need to know that WHAT you eat affects your blood and your health markers.

So your mom is eating the exact same amout of calories as she did before and dropped the weight? Or the change in what she ate led to an automatic decrease in the amout of calories she was eating?

Hello :)

Please re-read what I wrote. She did NOT lose weight in my post. She improved her blood/health markers by changing the types of foods she ate. I was responding to Mr. Crickets....

My point is 10 year ago, when she was skinnier (lower weight after doing weight watchers), she lost weight and had still had high bp, high blood sugar and high cholesterol. 10 years later, she made a decision to eat the right foods, not restricting calories. Her weight did not go up or down by any significant amount. If anything, it is higher now that it was then, when she had her poor blood health markers. About 6 months since she has changed the quality of the foods she eats, she has significantly improved her blood health markers so much that she no longer needs meds for cholesterol and her blood sugar is perfect. :):)

My post was in response to someone asking OP to give a study of blood health markers.

My mom is living proof that losing weight did nothing for her blood health markers but changing her diet did... 10 years older, no less...

:)

Hello :)

No worries :)

I think that is what I answered :) In my mom's case, her health markers DID NOT improve by weight loss alone (regardless of diet) at all, not one bit. The sole thing (besides meds) that helped her markers improve was her better eating habits 10 years later (which did not include any weight loss, in fact, I confirmed with her - she actually has gained 12 pounds since then).
    :):)