Age 40's, 50's 60's weight loss stories PLEASE

Options

Replies

• gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    I'm 56. Started SERIOUS weight loss Jan 2012. I started at 310#, down to 290#. I WILL get down to 210#, maybe not as fast as I would like, but I will get there.

I already fell better. I lost all sorts of inches, pants and shirts all fitting very loose. I will get REAL excited when I can see my toes again! :laugh:
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Just looking to see and hear any success stories from those of us who are in their 40's, 50's and 60's....

How old are you? (you don't have to be specific if you don't want to...you can just say 50's, 60's 40's--whatever, okay)

I'm 51

How much have you lost?

21 pounds

How long did it take you to lose the weight (and/or issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese)?

I started this Feb 2012

How long have you kept it off?

Since Feb 2012

What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy?

I made this a change of eating habits and not a diet, learning to eat better and in moderation but not depriving myself of any particular food. Two weeks ago I increased my calories by 100 more a day and lost more weight

Two weeks later i again increased my calories by 100 more a day and lost more weight

Yes I do have at least one cheat day a week and I usually gain a little but get right back on track the next day and usually drop it within a day or two

Please do share, okay?
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    How old are you? I am 47

How much have you lost? I have lost 60 pounds so far

How long did it take you to lose the weight (and/or issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese)? been at it about 14 months

How long have you kept it off? I m going to keep it off the rest of my life

What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy? The more fit you become, the more active you get, the more rewarding it all is.

I enjoy my life now!
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and began this journey on January 2, 2012 although I didn't hit on MFP until February. I've lost 30 pounds thru fairly clean eating (keeping my sodium down to 1500mgs daily anyway) weight lifting and regular cardio.

It can be done. It does take a willingness to change, a good support system, both here on MFP and at home, and a diligent and committed attitude.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    How old are you? (you don't have to be specific if you don't want to...you can just say 50's, 60's 40's--whatever, okay)

~~ 42

How much have you lost?

~~ Total of 34lbs

How long did it take you to lose the weight (and/or issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese)?

~~ I started off very slow, took my time to change my bad habits so I would say it took me a total of 8 months to be where I wanted to be.

~~ 3 years

~~ I eat anything and everything in moderation. I stay away from fast foods, no soda. I workout 5-6 days a week.

This is a wonderful thread, thanks for starting it!
  • Fatboy960
    Fatboy960 Posts: 7
    Options
    Just looking to see and hear any success stories from those of us who are in their 40's, 50's and 60's....

How old are you? (you don't have to be specific if you don't want to...you can just say 50's, 60's 40's--whatever, okay) I'm 51.

How much have you lost? So far, 24 lbs per MFP (but probably closer to 30 from my highest weight a few days before I joined MFP).

How long did it take you to lose the weight (and/or issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese)? I started in January this year, so 5 months.

How long have you kept it off? Still a work in progress.

What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy? Exercise daily (I swim 45 minutes 5 days a week, and work out with weights and some cardio the other two).

Please do share, okay?

I was getting really frustrated because i had always been able to lose weight iof i put it on, and really didn't gain much considering how much I ate (and drank, in beer!). That all changed in my 40s, and I was pretty much accepting that I would never be able to get down to where I wanted to be. But I was wrong.

Someone in this chain said logging all your food into MFP is important. I couldn't agree more, and I mean everything. If you don't you will overeat, and get stuck at your unhappy weight. Also, daily exercise is probably most important in your 50s - I can't eat little enough to lose (or even maintain) if I don't burn a few hundred calories daily (I eat most if not all my exercise calories).

Good luck!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    How old are you? 42

How much have you lost? 83lbs. 5 more to go

Started in April 2011

N/A yet. LOL

PRAYER. Exercising 5 to 7 6 days a week, and counting calories.

I started having weight issues after high school, suffered from clinical depression for a long time. Weight skyrocketed after 3 children. I ballooned up to 262 lbs. Started by in 1998 trying to get the weight off. I was on a rollercoaster all the way up until last year. I diligently sought direction from God and am now doing and feeling better than ever before.
  • paulw3005
    paulw3005 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am 46 (just). Started Mar 11, 2012 (almost three months to the day). Was 196 lbs (>20 % body fat -military method) and have lost 23 pounds (and now at ~ 14 % body fat military method) in that time. Have been on the P90X classic program (nutrition and workouts). My story I think is a fairly typical one for MFP - was kind of sick of looking in the mirror and thinking where did the person I thought I was disappear too behind that bloated soft image. Compounded with having two wonderful young kids and thinking I want to be an example to them for how to be stay healthy and in shape and eat right.

Still working on it...lol

Best of luck,
    Paul

How much have you lost?

Please do share, okay?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    How old are you?

42 years young

How much have you lost?

307 lbs. gone for good.

36 month anniversary was June the 9th, severe depression and turning to food after the loss of my folks 6 months to the day apart and my wife folks all within a 2 year window sent me over the edge and to food for comfort.... My max weight before that AHA moment was 560 lbs.

Well 3 years in a calorie deficit and am still losing (just slowly now)

It is a lifestyle now.... Exercise 6 days a week with a day of rest...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    How old are you?

42 years young

How much have you lost?

307 lbs. gone for good.

36 month anniversary was June the 9th, severe depression and turning to food after the loss of my folks 6 months to the day apart and my wife folks all within a 2 year window sent me over the edge and to food for comfort.... My max weight before that AHA moment was 560 lbs.

Well 3 years in a calorie deficit and am still losing (just slowly now)

It is a lifestyle now.... Exercise 6 days a week with a day of rest...

^ See this guy here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/626293-3-yr-anniversary-307-lbs-lost-picture-heavy
  • mandysmom092711
    Options
    I'm 46 and have lost 23 pounds. I lost the first 20 in 4 months and the rest has been slow. I'm back on track and want to lose another 15 by year's end. I find that if I don't snack at night it helps AND be sure to eat breakfast every day!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm 44

How much have you lost?
    41 lbs, but it fluctuates, I was up to 43 lbs lost but then my son's HS graduation came along and I gave myself permission to eat crap, bad idea!! ;)

I started this journey in April of 2011, I fell off the wagon for a bit and but am now over 300 days strong!!

I'm still working towards my goal...

I log everything I eat, I exercise by running, yoga, and have a few of Jillian's dvds, my favorites are Yoga Meltdown and 30 Day Shred.

Please do share, okay?
    My most important lesson learned was eat back those exercise calories and eating enough. I now have my calorie goal set to fat2fitradio.com's calculator. I'm eating more now than when I began this journey!!
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    49, 50 in August

30ish pounds since January 2012 and need to lose about 50 more.

Eating healthier - DVD's Yoga, Pilates, Kettlebell

I commute by train to work. When it's nice out I get off 2 stops early and walk. I try different routes to keep it varied as I get bored fast. Latest route is about 2 miles, which is about 1.90 miles more than I was walking.

I consider it a lifestyle change and hope to keep it up. I have some bad days but there are more good than bad and I have some great MFP friends who nudge me in the right direction when I get off track.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    How old are you? 58

How much have you lost? 89 so far...headed for over 100 very soon!

How long did it take you to lose the weight? 8 months

How long have you kept it off? 8 months so far...never gained any back in that time

What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy? Eating better (healthier), exercising at the gym, walking in my spare time instead of sitting at the computer, RUNNING!
  • JimHeid
    JimHeid Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am age 59 now, joined Dec 2010 at #204, met goal May 2011 and maintained at ~168 since then.
    The key for me was logging foods and exercise, and smaller plate size at dinner! Also bringing in lunch, not buying at work. I am happy to report I am on my second pair of Nike trail running shoes, having worn the first pair out. I enjoy having an HRM to track calories.
    This Sat I did my first "race" up a local mountain, 3.5 miles. Vomited x3 (never happened before), had to walk some due to nausea but happy to have done it in 58 minutes, 42nd out of 52!
    For about 6 months now I have noted I don't need the heartburn rx I was taking for years. I assume it has to do with not having excess weight! Yippee.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

How much have you lost?

7 lbs. I started out with 24 to lose. I lose slower than most because of my age, I'm closer to my goal, and I'm lifting weights a couple times a week, so I'm building muscle as I'm losing fat. I'm good with that formula!

Since Jan, so about 6 months.

Still working on it! But haven't gained, so that's a plus!

A healthy mindset is most important for me to stay on track. If my head is in the right place, everything else will fall into place. I know that if I put in the EFFORT to get in my daily (yes, daily) exercise, eat healthy most of the time (I do need my treats - always will), drink tons of water, and stay motivated by reading success stories and encouraging others here, that I will succeed. I know that this is a lifestyle change I'm making, so it has to be sustainable for me to be successful, so everything I'm doing now, I need to be able to do for the rest of my life.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wow...your replies are so inspirational--THANKS you guys, so MUCH!!!!

ETA: Your replies so encouraged me..I'm going to start a new HARD class:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/629638-i-m-too-old-no-way-for-real-i-m-scared-but-ima-do-it?page=1
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I am 41yrs old, with a hubby and 3 boys that love to eat anything homemade (which is why I don't bake much anymore, I love it too!)

I started my journey to a new me in November 2011 after a trip to Vegas with 4 girlfriends. I realized I couldn't continue at the size I was, and still be able to keep up with my kids. I started at 263, which was not my highest non-pregnancy weight btw.

I have now lost 44lbs and many, many inches in just 7 months, all along with recovering from a hysterectomy in mid-November. I didn't seriously start exercising until Jan 1/12. My initial goal is 160lbs, but likely in the 150 range, to get into the "healthy" BMI for my age/height.

I am at the gym 5-6 days a week. An hour of cardio on the treadmill to improve my heart health. I just started a beginner's weight lifting workout, hoping to build muscle but not become a bodybuilder while doing it.

My blood pressure had always been borderline high, and now it's on the low end of normal. That itself is a NSV. My cholesterol has been high in the past, and haven't been to the doctor to get blood tests to check it recently (I hate fasting and that awful glucose drink). My digestive system is healthier, less problems; fewer headaches and sickness. I find I have more energy and desire to keep up with the kids. And hubby enjoys the smaller me, too :blushing:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!