bump
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2labbydogs
    2labbydogs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your story. I'm glad to see someone else close to my age replying to this. I'll be 58 next month. I've been on the small side all my life but past menopause developed the "menopot" and "mom arms," both very frustrating. Would love to run but can't due to foot problems. I walk every day (two dogs) and use the treadmill and Boflex as well for arms, chest, etc. I'm at or below my calorie goal almost every day and NOT eating the exercise calories, but frustrated that I've lost only 1 pound in 2 weeks! We, too, are a household of 2 people and are eating at home more often these days. I love to bake salmon and veggies in parchment packets - they look like something from a good restaurant, taste that way, too, but are super easy and healthy. Everyone says the last 10 are the hardest and I really only need to drop about that much. I'm frustrated but keep reading other people's posts for ecouragement. Thanks again!
  • 2labbydogs
    2labbydogs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    YAY, YOU!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • lannlynn
    lannlynn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump...........so inspiring!
  • fdny9943
    fdny9943 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, turning 49 in 3 weeks.

I'm 6' 1" tall

I started seriously on this weight loss on January 1, 2010. Since then I am down 134 pounds. I had a knee problem in May 2010 and didn't start things back up again until November 2010. If I took my eating serious I should be down a lot more but I hit a plateau in November 2011 that I just broke though and I'm on my way down again.

It's all about the exercise. Forget all these fad diets it is this simple. Expend more calories than you take in. That is what has gotten 134 pounds off me and that is what will get the rest off.
  • pamelaf2
    pamelaf2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump for later, Congratulations to all embarking on their new healthier lifestyle.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    How old are you? 51.5

How much have you lost? 75# (recently decided to lose 15-20 more)

How long did it take you to lose the weight? 1 year

How long have you kept it off? 10 years

What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy? Eat healthy - but don't deprive myself. Refuse to starve myself. Run. Box. Bootcamp. Heavy lifting. HIIT training. No elevators. Look for ways to walk farther for regular activities every day.

You're never too old to get healthy! :drinker:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Just looking to see and hear any success stories from those of us who are in their 40's, 50's and 60's....

How old are you? (you don't have to be specific if you don't want to...you can just say 50's, 60's 40's--whatever, okay)

How much have you lost?

How long did it take you to lose the weight (and/or issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese)?

How long have you kept it off?

What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy?

Please do share, okay?

Hi. I'm 45 and I lost 112 pounds by the time I celebrated my one year on MFP. I've been easily maintaining for 6 months now. I'm doing this by doing exactly what I did to lose the weight. I still track my calories daily and I workout 5 days a week.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Wow...just wow!!!!! :drinker:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    bump
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    How old are you? I'm 50. Today is my birthday :-)

How much have you lost?
    I have lost about 17 lbs. I'm 5'5" and started at around 152-154 -- probably my peak-- in Mid-March 2012.

Today, I finally hit my "goal weight " of 135 lbs! Yay for me!

How long did it take you to lose the weight (and/or issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese)?

It took me about 4 months of tough work and I've struggled with loss of every half pound!
    I've been seeing a personal trainer 3x a week and counting every calorie.
    I think I would like to lose a few more pounds, but feel really happy with myself that I accomplished my goal.

What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy?
    We're eating better, eating less (at 1440 cal a day I'm still pretty hungry and not eating my exercize cals back) but
    I've started a new LIFESTYLE and roaring into my 50's! A little nervous to transition to "Maintenance" to be honest!
    I "know" how to do THIS!

Hitting that goal was the best way to start my new year! Yay me!
  • hs1956
    hs1956 Posts: 16
    Options
    This is my 10th day of working out and keeping records on my fitness pal. I am 56, 5'4" and currently 135 lbs. My goal is anything under 120 (where I was before menopause). I settled into an unhealthy 142 lbs in my early 40's, lost 25 over a four month period at age 48 with a program similar to this and kept the majority of it off until age 53. Menopause came and three years later I have the "menopot" and "Mom arms". The weight gain came back mainly due to lack of exercise and eating anything I felt like along with the sluggish metabolism that comes with menopause.

Exercising 6X a week, strength training 2-4X a week and monitoring food intake for at least a year worked before. Now that my kids are either in college or beyond, I really do have the time after and before work to do this.

Things that worked for me:
    1. Limit eating out-I can pack on 1200+ calories in a meal at an Italian, Chinese or Mexican restaurant.
    2. Record everything eaten-it is easy to "forget"
    3. Stay away from diet drinks and artificial sweeteners-they make me hungry
    4. Try to do some exercise everyday-even a walk around the block is good.
    5. Use the tape measure-much more rewarding than the scales
    6. Get rid of big clothes as you loose (keep one piece for comparison)

Good luck to everyone and hang in there!
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    wow !
  • loope1
    loope1 Posts: 14
    Options
    bump
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread....keep the inspiration coming!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and have lost 22lbs since December. Still a work in progress. I'm taking the slow and steady approach, lifting weights and eating at a modest calorie deficit. I've revamped my diet considerably, paying a lot more attention to macros and cooking more.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 - I started dieting July 26 and then went to intermittent fasting for a couple days a week. The first month, I lost 2-3 pounds per week. Now I barely lose a pound a week, but it is slow and steady. 16 pounds so far. I keep tweaking my diet to see what works best for me. The last 2 weeks I've been doing alternated days dieting. 1 Day 1500-1600 calories the next day 1000-1200 calories with one maintance day (1800-2000) per week. It seems like I have to have at least 1 -1000 calorie day or less to lose 1 pound. I find that the longer I diet, the less calories I am able to eat and be satisfied. I exercise 3-6 hours per week and do not see any difference in my weight loss by how much I've exercised.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!