Replies

• Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 i've lost 105lbs and i have about 80 to lose and it took me a year
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I just spoke to my grandmother. She is 68 years old, and lost 57 lbs in the last two years.

She plays golf 3x per week, eats a reasonable volume of food and just started swimming again to keep her weight off.
  • LoreeBelle
    LoreeBelle Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Love this post. Want to reply later this evening...

OP, Thanks for posting!
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm 49,have lost a total of 42.5 lbs...I started logging my calories and workouts around 17 mos ago. I joined MFP this Jan, reached my goal weight in May and have lost another 4 more lbs. I havent change much since I've reached my goal...and I'm staying right here with my friends on MFP...love the support. I walk a lot ,weekdays 3-5 miles, weekends 4-7 and have logged a couple of 8 miles walk. I have some home dvd workouts that I try to use 3x a week...the hardest part for me is getting my water in ,water only that is. I drink diet sodas and have cut back to 2 -3 a day. I also take my measurements every 2 weeks and believe that has helped me to stay on track. The scales are mean at time and seeing results ( inches lost) I know saved me.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bumping--LOVE this thread!!!!! You guys...:love:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    A really :drinker: COOL :smokin: Mfper sent me a note with this link on it, and honey...it's encouraging and AMAZING as ALL get-out! Please look at this drop dead gorgeous chick and what she's doing....hmmmp:smooched:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18346128

THANK YOU COOL Mfp pal for sending me this--exactly what the doctor ordered! EVERYONE who is in their 40's, 50's and 60's+
    check this out--major inspiration:love:
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    These are the most incredible stories.

Me 54 losing significant amount for I believe the 4th time. It will be last. Hubby had diabetic "side effect" that was an aha moment for me. Been told pre diabetic for years but doctors give no advice. On this journey so far I've lost 13 lbs with first goal being 90 lbs. I'll re-evaluate at that point and see if I go farther. I will definitely be following this. INSPIRATION....INSPIRATION....INSPIRATION
  • ssp1977
    ssp1977 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump - to read later
  • klrucker
    klrucker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    58 years old.
    Have lost 40 pounds in about 18 months (found myfitnesspal after losing the first 10 pounds and it has really helped).
    Weight loss was a gift to me and my grandchildren.
    Have about 17 pounds to go. I work with a trainer once a week and try to walk an hour 2-4x week. Just bought a FitBit and already it is inspiring me to move more. Took sugar, corn syrup, white flour and mega-processed foods out of my diet. Eat lots of fruits/veggies; organic when possible.

Living fierce. Loving life. Grateful for all God has given me.

3399508.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Great Post! Slainte! :flowerforyou:

How old are you? 45 almost 46, proud I survived this long!:tongue:

How much have you lost? 60 lbs, 40 to go :glasses:

How long did it take you to lose the weight Lost most of it in 8 months, I'm on maintenance at my current weight until a health issue is resolved:grumble:

What issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese? I had a thyroid cancer and gained 100 lbs. I realized I was OBESE :noway: . Those words chilled me more than my cancer diagnosis. I was not going to spend the rest of my life being the fat, unhealthy person everyone stared at and made fun of. I bought an elliptical and began exercising 10 minutes every other day. The first week I thought I was going to die but I kept going. Better to die on an elliptical trying than lying on a couch doing nothing. It was brutal but within a couple of weeks I was doing 320 then 30 then 45 minutes. Yesterday I rode my bike 7.5 miles and felt fantastic!

What did you do/are doing to STAY healthy?
    :drinker: I exercise, hold myself accountable every day by logging meals (good or bad) on MFP, weigh myself weekly, eat with chopsticks (slows you down!), drink my water, and affirm myself every day by looking in the mirror and telling myself how great I'm doing, how far I've come, and how beautiful inside and outside I am.
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I spent most of my 40's bouncing between 245lbs to 275lbs. In 2009 I switched up my exercise routine and quit snacking late at night. I dropped 25lbs in a couple of months. I kept my weight under 230lbs for a couple of years, then late in 2011, early in 2012 I started backsliding and my weight went up to around 236lbs. I started logging in on MFP in March, and I'm down around 10lbs into the low 220's. I work out every day! Sometimes I work out quite vigorously, other days not so much, but I do something every day. I also drink between 10 and 20 beers a week. Yeah, it's my hobby. Drinking beer and brewing beer at home. I'm not looking to drop any more weight, I feel pretty good at my current weight. 220lbs stretched over a 6'3" frame works for me. Oh yeah, I turned 54 this past April.

Good luck!
  • Suella62
    Suella62 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am now 50. I reached my weight-loss goal 10 years ago with a loss of 30 lbs with my TOPS club (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) which is a non-profit support group (they are all over). I am now maintaining my 10-lb leeway as a KOPS (Keep Off Pounds Sensibly). I started MFP and a lot of my TOPS clubs friends use it too, just because its a lot easier to track your cals & exercise than the old notebook journal way :)

I stay with my club to keep me motivated. We meet once a week, weigh-in, and teach each other about different things we've learned along our weight-loss journey. I like MFP a lot, but I need the face-to-face support of my club to maintain this. I also like winning little contests we do at our meetings. My profile pic is from one of our TOPS conventions with a couple other ladies from my club - the one on the right is nearing 20 years at goal - she's almost 70.

I usually get most of my exercise through stationary biking while I play an online game called World of Warcraft. Recently I've taken up barefoot running, though, because my husband enjoys it & I wanted to get the dog out of the house more :)

Good luck on your journey!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    A really :drinker: COOL :smokin: Mfper sent me a note with this link on it, and honey...it's encouraging and AMAZING as ALL get-out! Please look at this drop dead gorgeous chick and what she's doing....hmmmp:smooched:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18346128

HOLY CRAP, look at that awesome lady! Wow...............and I think I believe Oprah even more when she says "Black don't Crack"!

Okay, I have NO aspirations to become a female body building - at 57 years old, I don't want to work that hard ;)

However, in August 2011, I had a physical that sent my senses reeling...................the doctor said I was obese! No way! At about 180 lbs, and 5' 3" tall, YUP,I WAS OBESE.

Funny thing, though - I have never had issues with cholesterol, blood pressure, or diabetes. Although my triglycerides have been high the last few physicals, I didn't give that much thought.......but THAT WORD...........OBESE.......really got me to thinkin'.

So, I started to log my food - in a little notebook :wink: Didn't know about MFP then, but was actually USING their database to check my calories & fat content! When I saw that my little sister was using the full MFP website, and she showed me how COOL it was, I was hooked.

I've lost about 23 lbs......................just by logging and doing a bit more activity. I am not a gym person, and I don't do any FORMAL exercise - but I love to walk and hike and just MOVE. And it seems to be working.

I want to lose 20 more, so we'll see how that goes. I've hit the dreaded plateau since Mid-March, so am just pushing on. I eat better foods, try to avoid sweets (my downfall), enjoy beer frequently, and LIVE MY LIFE........I feel great, and just want to be as healthy as possible, without too much work (yup, I'll admit it!!!)

So, to all of you who are kicking butt and taking names - more power to ya. To those who just want to be BETTER - God bless ya. To anyone who has tried and failed - try again. Life is good................and it can be so much better when you FEEL good!

Hugs,

Polly
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

HOLY CRAP, look at that awesome lady! Wow...............and I think I believe Oprah even more when she says "Black don't Crack"!

Okay, I have NO aspirations to become a female body building - at 57 years old, I don't want to work that hard ;)

However, in August 2011, I had a physical that sent my senses reeling...................the doctor said I was obese! No way! At about 180 lbs, and 5' 3" tall, YUP,I WAS OBESE.

Funny thing, though - I have never had issues with cholesterol, blood pressure, or diabetes. Although my triglycerides have been high the last few physicals, I didn't give that much thought.......but THAT WORD...........OBESE.......really got me to thinkin'.

So, I started to log my food - in a little notebook :wink: Didn't know about MFP then, but was actually USING their database to check my calories & fat content! When I saw that my little sister was using the full MFP website, and she showed me how COOL it was, I was hooked.

I've lost about 23 lbs......................just by logging and doing a bit more activity. I am not a gym person, and I don't do any FORMAL exercise - but I love to walk and hike and just MOVE. And it seems to be working.

I want to lose 20 more, so we'll see how that goes. I've hit the dreaded plateau since Mid-March, so am just pushing on. I eat better foods, try to avoid sweets (my downfall), enjoy beer frequently, and LIVE MY LIFE........I feel great, and just want to be as healthy as possible, without too much work (yup, I'll admit it!!!)

So, to all of you who are kicking butt and taking names - more power to ya. To those who just want to be BETTER - God bless ya. To anyone who has tried and failed - try again. Life is good................and it can be so much better when you FEEL good!

Hugs,

Polly

And the COOL Mfp member e-mailed me again to let me know this gorgeous chica started when she was.....

:drinker: 71 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Thank you so much for your post Polly...you rock!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    How old are you? 55, 56 in October

How much have you lost? 104#, last 19 are going to be killer!!

How long did it take you to lose the weight I went to Scotland in February 2011. Loved the place, beautiful but after the long plane trip I had horrendous leg cramps, I could barely walk a couple blocks. I missed out on some stuff while there. When I came home I started looking for calorie counting sites and found MFP, what a lifesaver this site is!!!

How long have you kept it off? Still in process and looking at the fact that this is a lifelong process not just a goal for 160# but the way I will live my life.

What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy? I am going to monitor my weight monthly and never buy anything larger than a 12 ever again. I am going to keep moving until I am dead and eat as healthy as I can......
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I am over 60, 5'1" tall, and weigh 116 currently.

I have lost 117 pounds.

It took me 8 months to lose all of it but the last 10 pounds took me 4 months to lose.

I have maintained my weight loss for 2 years 3 months.

To lose the weight I NEVER ate my exercise calories back and I worked out 6 days a week. I do the same for maintenance. I eat healthy, exercise 6 days a week. Burn more calories than you take in and you will not regain.

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Great thread: thank you all for sharing. I'm saving for inspiration. :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    How old are you? 60

How much have you lost? 40 lbs on MFP (50 from my heaviest)

How long did it take you to lose the weight (and/or issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese)? I started MFP in Aug 2011 and reached my goal in March 2012 (7 months)

How long have you kept it off? I've kept it off since March 2012.

What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy? I'm running (currently training for a 1/2 marathon) and biking (just started that). I ran a 10K last weekend. I live in the country, so I have a garden to keep up, and I'm constructing goat pens and a goat shed. I hired a young helper, and we work from 8 a.m. - 5 pm.

I'm currently maintaining and not recording calories or exercise, but I if I gain more than 5 lbs, I will start recording everything again. This web site was a great help to me, and I love my fitness pals.

I love feeling fit and healthy and YOUNG again. I may not be young on the outside, but I feel young on the inside.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Admiration BUMP:drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!