Replies

• Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    mmmmm. . . Coffee!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've always felt that Cream/Milk and sugar are only there to cover up the sins of bad coffee.

I agree. I do add skim milk, but believe you me, skim milk does not mask the taste of lousy coffee; the beans have to be good quality.
    I love french press coffee BUT most of the time I use our Keurig because I'm in a hurry to get out of the door in the morning. This has inspired me to use the Keurig on the weekends when I'm home just chillin. I still have a fair amount of beans to grind including the 100% Kona (no silly blends here) my buddy Tom brought me back from Hawaii

I have several French presses, and have had a couple of espresso machines. I've had Keurig coffee in offices and I think it's fine. I also like Starbucks's espresso drinks. I guess I'm not a coffee snob.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    eh! are none of you caring about getting discoloured teeth? seriously a small amount of skimmed milk isn't going to make that much a difference... have it the way you prefer it is what I say :)

I've read that one can avoid discoloration by drinking coffee through a straw. When I get my $50K porcelain laminates on my teeth (j/k) I may have to look into that. For now, it looks absurd.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    eh! are none of you caring about getting discoloured teeth? seriously a small amount of skimmed milk isn't going to make that much a difference... have it the way you prefer it is what I say :)

Honestly? Not as much as I love my coffee. I've come to the realization that I just need to brush my teeth more often and occasionally (once a year or so, package says 4 times a year) use whitening strips.
  • Andyblood
    Andyblood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well i did read once that a black coffee taken before a workout can increase the calories that are used
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    yep, as many have said, buy GOOD coffee. The best you can get for your maker, and if you have the funds and interest, experiment with other kinds of coffee makers if yours doesn't brew the best.

Alot of folks love french press - some can't stand the sediment tho, so if you've not tried it before, keep that in mind. I have a double filter french press, which makes it a bit cleaner (but it's a small press - I think they only make one size.) Nespresso capsule machines make a nice smooth hassle free shot, the lighter roasts are quite nice without cream or sugar. I've been on an italian espresso kick - quite a few nice sweet and strong espressos that really only need a dab of cream as far as I'm concerned (I don't do sugar in coffee.) A good 'grind and brew' machine can make a cup from a lesser quality bean taste better (just because it's fresh ground), but the coffee (not espresso) ones I think generally lack the ability to make a really dark cup of coffee. It's smoother, but more middle of the road.

If you just use a drip machine, look at getting some quality local roasts. Go chat some barristas up where they sell it. Buy small amounts so you don't get ticked about blowing cash on a bean you don't like. I've been stuck on stumptown coffee locally - partially because I also love their nearby cafe.

A classic pourover can also be quit nice. Makes a surprisingly good cup and it's great if you drink small amounts (get the one that uses a #2 filter) and like it always fresh.

I love the whole 'trying new coffees' thing. But I'm coffee toy obsessed as well. I figure it's a mostly harmless vice. ;)