Women dating younger men

Options

Replies

• Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get exclusive with a younger man but going on dates with them is so much fun! And honestly... sex is too sometimes. :wink:
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I was with a man 5 years younger than me for 5 years. We had a great relationship and the sex was great!! (TMI, sorry!!)

I say go for it! And JMO, a 40 year old man who would be with a 23 year old obviously doesn't think he can impress a woman who is a bit more worldly and well rounded. It could also show that he has a controlling personality and knows he can't control a peer. And finally, it's creepy. LOL! JMO, hope I didn't hurt any feelings.

I'm 15 years younger than my fiance and he is not controlling and I am very worldly and well rounded for my age - I think your generalisation of this situation is very unfair to be honest!!

OP - if you get on and like each other there is no reason you shouldn't go for it hun!!!

I added an additional post as to why I felt that way - just personal experience I guess. But if the relationship works, thaen that's great. (And I wasn't implying that all 20 something gals are not well rounded. But most are lacking life experience.) Hope I didn't offend!
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    for me I dated guys older than me and both times I had bad experinces with it. however I would not go that extreme in the young factor. my stepbrother who is 42 married a lady the same age as my mom. do you know how awkward is to say I have a 65 year old sister in law. it feels weird.

I would either date a guy my age or at most 7 years younger than me. I defintely couldn't imagine dating someone old enough to be my nephew.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I love older women, my OH is 3 years older than me but when I was 18 I dated a 27 year old lady and loved every minute of it ;-)
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Go for it! If he likes you and you're attracted to him there's nothing wrong with it :)
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    When I was 26, I was in a relationship with a man who was 40. We were together for 3 years. The age difference wasn't important at all and we got along great.

When I was 30, I was in a relationship with a guy who was 22 for a year or so. Same thing, we got along great and the age difference wasn't important.
    Both relationships ended for different reasons that had nothing to do with age.

Right now, I'm 38. In the past few years I've dated men anywhere between 26 and 50 years old.

Age is just a number. It's more about how much you have in common and how you get along together. I have to be careful dating younger men now, my daughter is 18 and my son is 17. I'm not in the market to start another family, but a lot of younger men want that.
  • LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    My son is 6 years younger than his wife. They have been married for 5 years, and couldn't be happier. If the relationship works, it works.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Some people are also wiser than their years....I say talk to him...see if there is something really there...
    Age is ONLY a number... Some people experience MORE life in 25 years than others do in 50.

Go with how it feels.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right for you and don't worry about what other people think. If it works out then great, if not then at least you gave it a shot.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This applies to men and women: I think that when the age discrepancy is large, like 10-20 years there is a good chance it is not going to be an equal, partnerlike relationship. One of the couple is in power and the other (the younger) is there to please the older person. Often the older person has more money and success (and intelligence IME) and really isn't looking for someone to share their life with so much as someone to be their companion and amuse them. The younger person usually knows the deal and is "taken care of" (depending on the wealth of the older person, sometimes this doesn't happen financially) by the older person.

I just can't see it as being equal, but all parties know what they want and apparently have it, so who cares?

This is a blanket generalization and simply does not apply in every case. Hey - why don't I give you a case in point:

My husband is 11 years older than me. I make more money. I have more (job/financial) success. We're both of the same level of intelligence. There is no "deal" of which either of us is aware. Your generalization doesn't apply to my relationship, which is perhaps why I find it offensive. I did not marry my husband so he could take care of me financially and he did not marry me to amuse him.

To the OP: If you like the person, try dating the person. While age can have some affect on what you have in common or what your priorities are, those same things are affected by someone's personality (for example - I know lots of guys in their late 20s/early 30s who want to settle down vs. guys in their 40s who want to party). In some instances, age really is just a number. Give it a shot. Worse thing that can happen is that it doesn't work out, but at least you tried.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My sister's husband is 26 and she will be 35...age is sometimes an issue for maturity reasons but he is extremely determined and stable. He has 2 jobs and they own their own house together and they just had a baby, she will be 1 in a couple weeks.

It depends on the situation and the person/people involved I think. Go for it and try it out!!!
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My bf is 9 yrs younger than I am.....So far its working out splendidly & I have never been happier. AND Ive always said Id never date a younger man....NEVER SAY NEVER!!! Do what works for you & dont worry about what anyone else says. You cant please them all ;-)
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! And JMO, a 40 year old man who would be with a 23 year old obviously doesn't think he can impress a woman who is a bit more worldly and well rounded. It could also show that he has a controlling personality and knows he can't control a peer. And finally, it's creepy. LOL! JMO, hope I didn't hurt any feelings.

You really can't generalize like this. I freely admit that I'm not unlikely to raise an eyebrow at this type of situation at first, but that's largely because of my own experience. I dated several younger guys years ago, and have since decided it's just not for me. That said, I still wouldn't discount a younger man based on his age alone. I was also with a 42-year-old man when I was 28, and we had a fantastic time. The age difference was a non-issue (except occasionally in choosing a radio station!) because our personalities were very similar and we valued the same things. I would guess that it is the exception to the rule, but it is absolutely possible for two people with a significant age difference to be fabulously compatible.

One of the happiest marriages I know is between a man and his 20-years-older wife. They are madly in love and have so much fun together.. it sometimes makes me a little jealous.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Some people are also wiser than their years....I say talk to him...see if there is something really there...
    Age is ONLY a number... Some people experience MORE life in 25 years than others do in 50.

Go with how it feels.

I love talking to him and I am interested in him, but I never let on that I am, at least I don't think I do. :blushing:
    He just seems more mature to me than a lot of men I know..even those older than me!
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    This applies to men and women: I think that when the age discrepancy is large, like 10-20 years there is a good chance it is not going to be an equal, partnerlike relationship. One of the couple is in power and the other (the younger) is there to please the older person. Often the older person has more money and success (and intelligence IME) and really isn't looking for someone to share their life with so much as someone to be their companion and amuse them. The younger person usually knows the deal and is "taken care of" (depending on the wealth of the older person, sometimes this doesn't happen financially) by the older person.

I just can't see it as being equal, but all parties know what they want and apparently have it, so who cares?

This is a blanket generalization and simply does not apply in every case. Hey - why don't I give you a case in point:

My husband is 11 years older than me. I make more money. I have more (job/financial) success. We're both of the same level of intelligence. There is no "deal" of which either of us is aware. Your generalization doesn't apply to my relationship, which is perhaps why I find it offensive. I did not marry my husband so he could take care of me financially and he did not marry me to amuse him.

To the OP: If you like the person, try dating the person. While age can have some affect on what you have in common or what your priorities are, those same things are affected by someone's personality (for example - I know lots of guys in their late 20s/early 30s who want to settle down vs. guys in their 40s who want to party). In some instances, age really is just a number. Give it a shot. Worse thing that can happen is that it doesn't work out, but at least you tried.

This^^

I'm sure when an age gap is involved people think it's a weird relationship and there has to be something more than just love like money or a 'trophy' - I don't get it, age is a number and shouldn't define who we are as an age gap couple!!
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Go for it girl! age is just a number you don't look old any how :)
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think it's the other way round. When you hear about an older guy with a younger girl, people would normally look at him like he is taking advantage (or if he's a sugar daddy, being taken advantage of).

Regarding MILF and Cougar - those are positive terms. I don't know what makes you say they are negative.

Generally it gets looked at like if a woman can get a younger guy then look how awesome and hot she still is. If an older man gets a younger woman then she is only in it for the money or she has 'daddy issues' etc.

It's great to hear this from a guy :)
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am going to be 48 and my husband just turned 35. We are very happy and well-matched. I think it depends soley on each indidivual person. There are some 40 some years old that I would date because they were too imature!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6 years younger than me. I have dated older men, men my age and he is by far the most mature out of any of them.

It is just a number. If you are compatible and want the same things out of life then go for it. :drinker:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I can only think of one thing I'd want to do with someone in his 20s, and it's not have a long conversation.