Thigh Gap: Not possible for some??? Is this true?

Options
I was reading on a different post and I was wondering if the thigh gap thing takes in account many factors and it is not possible for all women to have this. I could lose all the weight I need to be at the low end of the healthy range and STILL not have one?

really?

That's a bummer.

How would you know if it's something that's possible for your body to do? I don't want to obsess about something as a goal if it's not something I can change

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    It just depends on your frame. If you have wide set hips, you're more likely to be able to achieve it than somebody with more narrow hips...but it's not like a sure fire indicator of how fit you are. I might have a gap between mine one day, I might not. My mom has one, even though her hips are narrow, but she doesn't carry much weight in her thighs anyway, and she's a runner with relatively low body fat percentage.

Is it really that important?
  • misschubbybutterfly
    Options
    For me it kind of was/is. I figured it WAS a sign of how fit you were. It's kind of dishearting that I might not get rid of the last bits of flab there. I had no idea that it was more then just how big you were.

I guess I'm glad I found out. I can deal with that now and move on.

I sound silly, I know, but I swear I had no idea.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I think a large part of it is genetics. Some girls will get it much easier than others. Natural muscle toneness and bone structure play a big part in it.

Men love the thigh gap though. Just like how women love the V on a man, we like the thigh gap. (at least I do!)
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It is not an indicator of being fit AT ALL lol. I remember when I was "skinny fat" around 103lbs..I always had a thigh gap an once I started gainining muscle (along with fat obviously) I started to lose my gap.

Now that I've lost some weight it is slowly coming back.. But my mom also has tiny legs that don't touch either so I'm sure it's genetics.. If someone has been heavy all their life they wouldn't actually know they had a "gap" until they lost the weight.

What I'm getting at is.. If you've never had one, you probably wont ever have one.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    That's right, not all women can have the thigh gap, at least not at a healthy weight. My thighs touched even when I was underweight. It's just how my body is shaped. For me, I'd have to be severely underweight to have that gap, and personally, it's just not that important to me. A gap between your thighs is not an indicator of health and fitness. Sometimes it's the opposite, actually.

Focus on your overall health and body fat percentage. Everything else is secondary.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I just aquired thigh gap. Mind you it's only 1 mm but I noticed it the other day getting out of tanning bed. I was like can that be possible! I haven't had it since highschool.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Many women don't have a gap in between their thighs, and it's not because of extra flab...it's just how their body is built. You can have very tight muscular thighs and no real gap in between, it just depends on your body. Don't stress about the space between your thighs, just focus on your overall body fat percentage and how your clothes fit...everyone's body is different!

And for the record, Mike, you're literally the first guy I've ever seen on here or heard in real life say they even pay attention to the "thigh gap" lol
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Men love the thigh gap though. Just like how women love the V on a man, we like the thigh gap. (at least I do!)

My husband says he thinks it looks weird when he notices it on other women. And I don't share that to make anyone feel self-conscious if they DO have a gap there, I just wanted to point out that not all men love the thigh gap. And even if they did, are you getting healthy for all the men in the world, or are you getting healthy for YOU?
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

And for the record, Mike, you're literally the first guy I've ever seen on here or heard in real life say they even pay attention to the "thigh gap" lol

Right
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hon, I agree that it has to do with genetics and how your body is shaped and distributes fat. When considering these factors, you have very little control over it.

However, you can concentrate on that area when strength training and exercise and can improve upon what nature gave you. :wink:

I understand your frustration, that's for sure. Most of the women in my family carry extra fat right around the tops of the thiughs, like a ring wrapped around. It's awful and gross and I hate it! However, at other points in my life when I have been lower in weight, they didn't touch at the top and that was heaven. It will be a grand day indeed, for me, when my thighs don't touch anymore. Esthetics and vanity aside, it''s damn uncomfortable, especially in summer!!

Good luck to you!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I honestly dont ever remember having a gap even when I was a kid and not fat. But that was a LOONG time ago. :)
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options

My husband says he thinks it looks weird when he notices it on other women. And I don't share that to make anyone feel self-conscious if they DO have a gap there, I just wanted to point out that not all men love the thigh gap. And even if they did, are you getting healthy for all the men in the world, or are you getting healthy for YOU?

I have yet to hear a guy talk about the thigh gap (either in a good or bad way).

Thigh gap... I don't know, it seems like such a random thing to focus on lol.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options

I have yet to hear a guy talk about the thigh gap (either in a good or bad way).

Thigh gap... I don't know, it seems like such a random thing to focus on lol.

The only reason he said anything was because I mentioned it first. :laugh:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I had one when I was a teenager. I also had no muscles or curves, and was built very much like a young boy...lanky and slim. I developed curves in my 20's and can tell you that curves got one heck of a lot more attention than boyishly slim with a thigh gap.

Now...I'd be perfectly happy to NOT have too much excess fat. Period.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I don't know how I feel about this 'gap' O.o
    Get to your healthy weight.. if you've got one, you've got one. If not then your body just isn't built that way.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I love the thigh gap! Or maybe I just like seeing women in their underwear.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    11ff6315.jpg

Size 0 shorts, NO thigh gap. I have narrow hips and muscular thighs, it's not in the cards for me!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    At my peak body (weight/fitness), I never had the thigh gap unless I was wearing dance tights and running shorts. That doesn't really count though. Hell, when I was at my worst with anorexia I never had the gap. One of these years I'm going to make a huge freeken sign reminding people that not all bodies are alike. You'd think that was a given but meh.
  • misschubbybutterfly
    Options
    i honestly just never knew that. I'm going to focus on something else besides my thighs. <3
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    i honestly just never knew that. I'm going to focus on something else besides my thighs. <3

I think it's a common misconception these days that thin = thigh gap. You're not the only one. :) Good for you for shifting your focus.