What ppl do on MFP that bugs me.

Options

Replies

• prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The only thing that 'bugs' me about MFP is when people start disparaging their start weight.
    Because your start weight may be someone else's goal weight.

Or your start weight, might be my weight today (at midpoint), which I worked very hard for. So please don't talk about how 'disgusting' you were or moan about 'how I let myself go'. I would rather wake up feeling like my accomplishment is something to be proud of, rather than something that would've shamed you.

Excellent point!
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The only thing that 'bugs' me about MFP is when people start disparaging their start weight.

Or your start weight, might be my weight today (at midpoint), which I worked very hard for. So please don't talk about how 'disgusting' you were or moan about 'how I let myself go'. I would rather wake up feeling like my accomplishment is something to be proud of, rather than something that would've shamed you.

Excellent point!

OOPS! Sorry-i meant to say AGREE!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Not trying to stir up controversy or anything
    Yes you are. Otherwise you'd have kept it to yourself.
    You should only log them if you have sedentary as your setting. If you don't then only log REAL workouts.
    How do you know what other people's activity settings are? Maybe the people you're complaining about ARE set at sedentary.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I guess it wouldn't bug me unless they started complaining about how they're not losing any weight or something. It's their log. For all anybody knows all of us are lying up a storm when it comes to our activity logs. It's why I don't look at other people's activities as a way of motivating myself.

↑↑↑ This! Until they start complaining, they can do whatever they want.
  • harpgohard
    harpgohard Posts: 65
    Options
    Why does it matter to you what other people log? Does it have any impact on your life, or even your weight loss?

Why does it matter to you what I post? Does it impact your life, or even your weight loss?
  • harpgohard
    Options
    Not trying to stir up controversy or anything
    Yes you are. Otherwise you'd have kept it to yourself.
    You should only log them if you have sedentary as your setting. If you don't then only log REAL workouts.
    How do you know what other people's activity settings are? Maybe the people you're complaining about ARE set at sedentary.

Before you complain read my replies. As I responded to both of these points already.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Not trying to stir up controversy or anything, but it bugs me when people log their work, cleaning, or cooking in as exercise. MFP already takes all of those into account when you choose your normal daily activities. I know some people have really intense jobs that require a lot of heavy lifting or some cleaning such as yardwork (ie mowing the lawn) is a lot more intense than housework, so they log those as workouts. But when you are just cleaning around the house or at work, those are not workouts. They are just part of your everyday routine. You should only log them if you have sedentary as your setting. If you don't then only log REAL workouts.

/endrant

How does this affect your weight loss?
  • harpgohard
    Options
    Not trying to stir up controversy or anything, but it bugs me when people log their work, cleaning, or cooking in as exercise. MFP already takes all of those into account when you choose your normal daily activities. I know some people have really intense jobs that require a lot of heavy lifting or some cleaning such as yardwork (ie mowing the lawn) is a lot more intense than housework, so they log those as workouts. But when you are just cleaning around the house or at work, those are not workouts. They are just part of your everyday routine. You should only log them if you have sedentary as your setting. If you don't then only log REAL workouts.

/endrant

How does my post affect yours'?
  • JoolieW68
    Options

/endrant

Haha, defensive much. You posted on a public forum with a rant.

I asked a serious question.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Bahaha, I would have dared you to tell me that the other night when I cleaned my house from top to bottom...... I was covered in sweat by the end of the cleaning, which took a couple of hours. Next time I'll gladly let you clean it for me though so you can get my workout in. Nah, scratch that, I needed the extra burned calories. Plus, vacuuming stairs is NOT easy! Anything I do to burn extra calories is a workout for me. If it bugs you remove the people that do it. It's really petty though
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have friends that do nothing that you would call exercise, yet they eat whatever they want and always hover around their goal weight because they are very busy people that never sit still. They are constantly moving and doing something. If I log in that I cleaned or spent my afternoon batch cooking or gardened its more to say that I didnt spend my evening sitting on my *kitten* on the couch watching tv, that I kept myself busy and active which definitely burns more calories that doing nothing at all, even if its not on a treadmill...
  • harpgohard
    Options

/endrant

Haha, defensive much. You posted on a public forum with a rant.

I asked a serious question.

No, I've just answered this question a couple times already. Just stating my opinion.
  • harpgohard
    Options
    Bahaha, I would have dared you to tell me that the other night when I cleaned my house from top to bottom...... I was covered in sweat by the end of the cleaning, which took a couple of hours. Next time I'll gladly let you clean it for me though so you can get my workout in. Nah, scratch that, I needed the extra burned calories. Plus, vacuuming stairs is NOT easy! Anything I do to burn extra calories is a workout for me. If it bugs you remove the people that do it. It's really petty though

Like I've said before, I understand logging heavy duty cleaning.
    WTG, bet your house is all nice and sparkling now.
  • harpgohard
    Options
    I have friends that do nothing that you would call exercise, yet they eat whatever they want and always hover around their goal weight because they are very busy people that never sit still. They are constantly moving and doing something. If I log in that I cleaned or spent my afternoon batch cooking or gardened its more to say that I didnt spend my evening sitting on my *kitten* on the couch watching tv, that I kept myself busy and active which definitely burns more calories that doing nothing at all, even if its not on a treadmill...
    I envy people like that. Not everyone's body's the same.
    And true cleaning and cooking does burn more calories than sitting on the couch, but I just don't see it as a 'workout.'
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    No, I've just answered this question a couple times already. Just stating my opinion.

Yea, the forums tend to explode over things such as this that have been posted before. Bit of a hot button, and many people (myself included) don't want to read thru several pages of replies.
  • Chrystibel
    Chrystibel Posts: 116
    Options
    I only log cleaning when I go to my two side jobs which are both intense cleaning for 3-4 hours, I log it as light cleaning and always take an hour off so I don't over estimate, my settings are also set on sedentary so I can log things like this, although I'll tell you being a full time mom to a 3 and 1 year old is certainly not sedentary, and I certainly don't log chasing them around as exercise even though it is.

I don't judge people for what they log, every calorie counts and how would I know what their settings are? It's their life, i'm here to help myself and motivate others, not rant about silly little things.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I sweat when I do housecleaning. I was always taught that if you work up a sweat doing an activity, you are increasing your heart rate and burning more calories.

For the record, though, I don't log housecleaning. My choice.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning my house...because when I clean, it's a 4-5 hour ordeal, and I don't clean house every day. I also wear my HRM, and I am always in my low fat-burning zone.
    I also log my work...I own a cabinetry shop, AND I flip houses.
    I say.........you shouldn't let people's exercise logs "bug" you. You should give them Kudos, because they are actually moving!!!
    I would say it'd bug me, IF these people were cleaning every day.
    My theory...we should all just worry about ourselves. Or just stop worrying. Don't let stupid things bug you....it's someone else's life..let them live it the way they want.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    ...You should only log them if you have sedentary as your setting. If you don't then only log REAL workouts.

/endrant

How do you know that they don't have sedentary as their setting?
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

Your start weight is someone else's finishing weight.

This is true.. when I had lost over 20 lbs and was at 180, I stumbled upon a thread where someone said something along the lines of... well if she's 5'7 and 180 pounds she is quite overweight, and nearly obese..

It made me a little sad.. I was proud to weight 180, since 2 months prior I weighed much more.