Slow Runners Unite - How to Increase Speed?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started running in Sept 2010 with the C25K program. Since then I've completed my first half marathon and run numerous races. I currently work with a running coach and this is what we do to increase speed.

1. In order to run faster... you have to run faster. I wanted to slap her the first time she said that to me. What she means is speed intervals. For example. After a warm up of a half to one mile run 30 seconds as fast as possible (you should feel like you can't run another step by the end of the 30 seconds), then trot (or even walk) a recovery interval of 60 seconds. Repeat this 6-12 times. Then cool down with a casual paced mile. As you get better at it, increase the speed intervals (45 seconds, 60 seconds, until about 90 secons). Your recovery interval should be twice as long as your speed interval. Do this work out once a week faithfully and you WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE!

Hope this helps.

I wondered how many posts I would read until I read the right answer! "in order to run faster…you have to run faster." In order to cycle faster… you have to cycle faster. In order to swim faster… you get the idea.

Running speed intervals are vital for increasing speed. But you will not increase your 5K times by running two minute intervals alone. Your running should be a mix of speed and distance. Endurance is a key to having the lung capacity to run faster. Mix longer distances at "current" pace with shorter distances at "goal" pace and intervals at "all out" pace.

For example, if you can run 5 miles in 60:00, run that distance two or three times a week. Run 2 miles at a faster pace maybe 11:00 per mile one or two times a week, run intervals one or two times a week. Break up speed work with long runs or rest days.

Be careful not to set your goals to high. It will take some time to get from 12 minute pace to 10 minute pace to 8 minute pace. Keep mixing in speed work in your running and you will get there.
  • KF1216
    KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! When I started getting serious about running in January my goal was to run a 5k in under 36. In April I ran one in 34! (Not in a race, just in my own) Now I can run 4 miles maintaining about 11min miles but am trouble getting any faster than that. My first 5k race was 33:33 which I was tremendously proud of, but my new goal is to run 5k in under 30 and at this rate I won't be racing until the fall. I've done a little interval work but need to make sure I'm doing it more regularly.
  • Junie1979
    Junie1979 Posts: 11
    Options
    hilarious...me too...I can totally relate.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • CaroseH
    CaroseH Posts: 72
    Options
    Bump!
  • cdabev
    cdabev Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you all for the valuable info. I have just read!!!! I JUST started running....April 1 of this year.....walking first for a while and gradually started "slow" running.......trust me, when I say slow. I LOVE it and can't wait to get better. I go out 5 days a week and take 2 off ( want to go thoses 2 days but I was told to break). I'm only up to 2.7 miles and break 10" half way at a friends ( for water)....but this is WAY more than I used to do.....nothing. Since Jan. 3 of this year I have lost 39 lbs. ....and hope to never find it again!!! Hahaha!!!.....I would like to get alittle faster with my running and all your input has truely helped........thank you soooo much!!!
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Saving this for later. This is really valuable for me as a slow runner!
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I was so excited yesterday to run an avg of 12 minutes per mile for 3.6 miles yesterday! Totally embarassing! :(
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Intervals!

I started using this app called couch to 5k for it. hmm. since you just did week 9 you know how it works.
    This is what I did.

5 minute warm up. . at my regular jogging/running speed, none of this walking stuff.
    60 seconds run .. FAST!! go fast hard. Ouch!
    90 seconds rest. . back down to my running speed, or walk if its too much
    repeat.
    warm down.. I finish with another run at my normal pace, or slower by this point.

Someone told me its about building up your lactic acid tolerance, so the slow bits don't matter so much.

You can do this up for the first few weeks. I ended up using Runkeeper now to make my own.

5 min warmup (runjog)
    3 min Fast run
    5 min slow run
    repeat.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am such a penguin
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    You might want to check this out over at Runner's World:

http://askcoachjenny.runnersworld.com/2010/11/newie-runner-learning-to-run-a-faster-5k.html/comment-page-1#comment-1752

I am still at Step One, which is building up base mileage, so I don't have a lot of experience with which to advise you, but I found this article to be helpful.
    Best of luck! :flowerforyou: :glasses:
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the others... Intervals are great for increasing speed. Focus on quick leg turn over. I also saw a huge improvement in my time when I added strength training and HIIT (which is pretty close to really short but fast intervals). Also, running at an incline - or up hills - is speed work in disguise.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I plodded for about 8 years, then I joined a club and suddenly had to go much faster to keep up! But I could, I'd just never known how to push myself before. So fast running friends are ideal. The lighter I am, the faster I run too. Plus I run on average 4-5 times a week and do various distances, intervals, hills, fartlek etc and cross train with swimming and cycling and free weights etc.

I started off doing a 4.23 hr marathon, down to 3.50 now
    2.01 hr half marathon down to 1.44 now
    60 minute 10k down to 46 minutes now

Good luck!!

It will give you such a buzz getting quicker :laugh:
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am such a penguin

Lol! I love the wording here. I am, too, a penguin.

I started running about 3 months ago, and the fastest I have ever gone is an 11:30 mile. I was so excited!!

I have friends that run a lot and the advice given to me was to tone my legs/butt. If you have bigger muscles in your lower body, you are able to propel yourself forward at a faster pace.

And, of course, intervals are supposed to be the best.

Good luck to all of you. We will gain speed!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have not done interval training yet (but I see it in my future - LOL), but I have been able to increase my pace by doing longer runs once a week. I finished C25K in February, and by working on my endurance (longest run is 6.5 miles, so far), I am increasing my pace for my shorter runs. I run 3 times a week. I was around 12 min per mile, but last week I did 5 miles in around 10:15 per mile. That was perfect conditions, though - drizzly and cool. I did the same run today at 11:30 per mile, but it was hot and I was dehydrated, so had problems with side stitches and had to walk some.

I just consciously work on increasing my cadence a little - not so much my stride length since I think I tend to have a long enough stride and I've heard its best to keep your stride a little shorter, and also let downhills work for me and lengthening my stride then - I always run hilly routes, since I live on a hill.

I also do kettlebells 3 times a week, and that has really strengthen my core and legs, which I think really helps - especially with running uphill.
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    I was taught in the military to do sprints to help speed. We could run 3 miles paced then 30 seconds sprint, 30 second walk for 6 minutes. That might help make your time better.....?
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    For those that incorporate fartlek or intervals, is this done typically in a separate run. For example, I usually run 3 days per week with two runs at a base distance (which will increase over time as well, but much more slowly) and 1 longer run that increases weekly. Do you think I should start adding in another session for intervals? I've been running since November last year.
  • RunEloiseRun
    Options
    The firs time I ever ran 3.15 miles it took me 45 minutes.
    What helped me gain speed was by running more. I increased my mileage and ran 4-6 days a week.
    I also strength train 2-3 days a week.

Good luck.
    And keep in mind, no matter what your pace is you are faster than everyone on the couch!
  • ampeterson69
    Options
    Thank-you so much for this post! Very helpful. Good luck to all of the other soon to be faster runners! :smile: :smile:
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I just switched from walking to running on the treadmill a little less than a month ago and I've gone from 5.0mph when I started and now I'm up to 6.2mph as of today. I did it by increasing my speed by 0.1mph each run. Going from 5.0mph to 6.0mph was a breeze, but getting over 6.0mph has been a bit of challenge. The first time I ran at 6.0mph, I completely died at the 4.5km mark, but I was able to complete the whole 5kms on my next run. I stayed at this speed for a week (4 runs) and today I rwas able to run an at 6.2mph. Mind you, I was dying at the end of it, but I did it. I plan to stay at 6.2mph for a while and then work at increasing the incline.