The Dumb@ss Things People Say...

Options
gchutson
gchutson Posts: 657
Everyone has an opinion that they're dying to share. The list of people with opinions is only topped by the list of people SEARCHING to be offended by something.

Share some of the opinions, cliches, and myths that make you roll your eyes.

(And I'm not pointing a finger at anyone, nor this site. I mean in general.)

Replies

• gchutson
    Options
    I'll start... anything that has anything to do with "BMI," whatsoever.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    "It's not calories in vs calories out and here's why..." They then proceed with a personal anecdote and talk about something effecting their weightloss which is very obviously a CALORIE OUT issue (low metabolism, age, plateau, hormones). :grumble: Then they are convinced science is wrong and try to persuade others as well.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    "I know what's best for my body" ...usually coming from disordered eaters...
  • gchutson
    Options
    "It's not calories in vs calories out and here's why..." They then proceed with a personal anecdote and talk about something effecting their weightloss which is very obviously a CALORIE OUT issue (low metabolism, age, plateau, hormones). :grumble: Then they are convinced science is wrong and try to persuade others as well.

Agreed. I'd include this under "anyone seeking medical advice from an Internet forum, ever." (And not just here... I mean any forum, anywhere.)

Go to a doctor. Then, go to another doctor for a second opinion.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.

I'me sure there's a buttload more, but I've only got one eye open at the moment. I'll come back to this!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The negative posts about hating people that rant. Isn't that a rant in itself?
  • gchutson
    Options
    "I know what's best for my body" ...usually coming from disordered eaters...

Agreed.
  • gchutson
    Options

God I hate when people rant about things in a forum. Like, this one time, this guy was ranting, I was like, "Hey guy, shut up and stop ranting." I then continued for 281 more posts about how annoying his ranting was...
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    -- Obese and severely overweight people telling me that I can eat whatever I want in moderation when I know that certain foods tend to make me pig out. The reason I've maintained my weight is by NOT exercising moderation.

-- Obese and severely overweight people telling me it's all about willpower. "It's worked well for you," I want to respond.

-- In a conversation about exercise that I am sure I did not start, an obese woman telling me that grooming her pet was exercise after I'd discussed running.

-- The uneducated evocation of the term "starvation mode" ... I will say no more.

In some ways, weight loss discussions remind me of political discussions in the U.S.: They're very dumb. The participants often lack basic information and they are insensitive to nuance and they oversimplify and generalize everything to the point where it's nonsense.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    "I want to tone up"
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    -- Obese and severely overweight people telling me that I can eat whatever I want in moderation when I know that certain foods tend to make me pig out. The reason I've maintained my weight is by NOT exercising moderation.

-- Obese and severely overweight people telling me it's all about willpower. "It's worked well for you," I want to respond.

-- In a conversation about exercise that I am sure I did not start, an obese woman telling me that grooming her pet was exercise after I'd discussed running.

-- The uneducated evocation of the term "starvation mode" ... I will say no more.

In some ways, weight loss discussions remind me of political discussions in the U.S.: They're very dumb. The participants often lack basic information and they are insensitive to nuance and they oversimplify and generalize everything to the point where it's nonsense.

You mean brushing my doggie is not burning mega calories? jeez people!
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :blushing: :tongue:
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    "I want to tone up"

I was someone who said this...now I understand. Thank you to all the people who explained it to me without making me feel like an idiot
  • gchutson
    Options

Power Brushing.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

Or even if you grant that it's not just calories in/out, they don't understand that it's a proxy that's used because it's easy and reliable. They don't understand that to track the chemistry of food intake and hormonal patterns, etc. a truly sophisticated level, is beyond the means of an ordinary person. If you're an elite athlete or an astronaut, you probably have access to lots of cool tests that provide amazing feedback.

They also don't get that knowledgeable, fit people don't set much store by the BMI, either. They have better information. And if they are really healthy outliers (high muscle mass, exceptional bone density), those people would be able to explain that. The BMI is a cheap proxy that's used by insurance companies to estimate obesity in populations.
  • gchutson
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :blushing: :tongue:

People from WV don't count. (haha)
  • mfpcopine
    Options

Power Brushing.

She was INDIGNANT when I looked surprised that she was using doggy brushing as an example of intense exercise.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

God I hate when people rant about things in a forum. Like, this one time, this guy was ranting, I was like, "Hey guy, shut up and stop ranting." I then continued for 281 more posts about how annoying his ranting was...

irony in top form here
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Rants like "I hate people who......"

- Continue to eat crap and cry when they don't lose weight
    - Log house cleaning as exercise
    - Can't count to 20, even when using their toes
    - Can't figure out when to use 'lose' or 'loose'
    - Don't understand ME and MY needs (it's all about me, after all)
    - Think trolls aren't people, too
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    "I want to tone up"

I was someone who said this...now I understand. Thank you to all the people who explained it to me without making me feel like an idiot

Nikinyx6 please could you enlighten me?
This discussion has been closed.