An important announcement from the White House soon?

Replies

• adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Elected officials used to actually be public servants. In the beginning, they didn't get paid much (if anything) to serve in congress, as President, on the Supreme Court, etc. These people served their districts/nation while also maintaining their farms, small businesses or whatever else, for income.

Slowly, over the years, money came into the picture.. salaries went up. Special interest lobbyists started throwing wads of cash at representatives, if they'd agree to vote a certain way or sponsor a certain bill.

As soon as $$$ got in the game, true public service went to the wayside. It's a problem across party-lines and, as long as it's all about the money, real change can't be expected.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 1,799 Member
    It's awesome. Allow illegals to work and go to school when AMERICAN CITIZENS struggle to achieve these things! :noway:

Seems like a lot of them have worked harder to be Americans than a lot of the people I see every day.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    A ban on political topics is common on most forums, MFP included.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
    IT SHOULD BE. WE ARE NOT HERE FOR THIS.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 476 Member
    It's awesome. Allow illegals to work and go to school when AMERICAN CITIZENS struggle to achieve these things! :noway:

Seems like a lot of them have worked harder to be Americans than a lot of the people I see every day.

Agreed.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Not gonna lie, aside from the whole cheating on Hill-Dawg thing (which, I mean, don't most politicians cheat on their wives? I thought that was like a requirement), Clinton was a pretty sweet Prez.

^^^^this
    Yup!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    This is to announce that the Obama's will be taking another high-priced vacation at the tax payer's expense.

No, wait, this might be the rudest thing I've read all week.

Amazing how when we had white presidents no one said such grossly disrespectful things regarding the highest seat in our country.

You're kidding, right? I remember plenty of nasty comments about Bush Jr's vacations and expenses, plenty. Last time I checked, he was white.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    lol that this person asked a simple question about what the announcement is going to be and the first comment is someone slinging s*** at Obama.

monkey.jpg

Just made a joke. I can't help it if people get all bent out of shape. :glasses:
  • This is a koala.

Funny+Koala2.jpg

I want that life.

I am soooo jealous of that koala...
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    But here it is, the announcement: Obama administration to stop deporting some young people who came to U.S. as children of illegal immigrants.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member

If I worked hard being a drug dealer should I be exempt from breaking the law?
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    I am done with this topic, I am having a GREAT day and hope all you enjoy your WHOLE day.
    Peace and Blessings
  • But here it is, the announcement: Obama administration to stop deporting some young people who came to U.S. as children of illegal immigrants.

And bravo for him doing it.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    In response to OP - I believe this is the news she was referring to:

Last edited Fri Jun 15, 2012, 09:50 AM USA/ET - Edit history (2)
    from ThinkProgress: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/06/15/500227/obama-to-protect-undocumented-students/

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:26 am

President Obama will announce a new immigration policy this morning that will allow some undocumented students to avoid deportation and receive work authorization.

Under the president’s “deferred action” executive order, students in the U.S. who are already in deportation proceedings or those who qualify for the DREAM Act and have yet to come forward to Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials, will not be deported and will be allowed to work in the United States.

An estimated 1 million young people could benefit from the deferral. To be eligible, applicants have to be between 15 and 30 years old, live in the U.S. for five years, and maintain continuous U.S. residency. People who have one felony, one serious misdemeanor, or three minor misdemeanors will be ineligible to apply. “Deferred action” will last for two years and can be renewed.

Obama is expected to speak about this new policy later today.

Obama’s announcement will create a smart policy to help protect young adults at risk of deportation who have spent years establishing their homes in the United States while boosting the U.S. economy.

read: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/06/15/500227/obama-to-protect-undocumented-students/
    If you are not native American then you too have relatives who were "illegals". These are bright young people why wouldn't we want to make it easier for them to stay and possibly get citizenship? Or was that only good for your relatives...
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    I see the chit-chat. Seems like fun and games are sitting this topic out.
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    If Obama put us in this situation, I just have to ask...what situation is that?

The problem I have with politics is people find someone to blame, then they look at the world for problems to blame them for.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Elected officials used to actually be public servants. In the beginning, they didn't get paid much (if anything) to serve in congress, as President, on the Supreme Court, etc. These people served their districts/nation while also maintaining their farms, small businesses or whatever else, for income.

Slowly, over the years, money came into the picture.. salaries went up. Special interest lobbyists started throwing wads of cash at representatives, if they'd agree to vote a certain way or sponsor a certain bill.

As soon as $$$ got in the game, true public service went to the wayside. It's a problem across party-lines and, as long as it's all about the money, real change can't be expected.

^^ This. Best quote on the thread so far.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Obama will finally announce he is way in over his head and resign. :bigsmile:

I suppose you have a better plan?

Yes, quit trying to put the blame on everyone else and man up! Of course, Barry won't do that.

It's funny....because he is getting all the blame for all of Bush's mess ups!

People need to stop worrying about what the Presidents do....and focus more on what congress is doing.

Ding ding ding! winner! Did we all forget how this country is ran or did most of us not pay attention in school?
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    People need to stop worrying about what the Presidents do....and focus more on what congress is doing.

THANK YOU, Mercenary!
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 1,799 Member
    If I worked hard being a drug dealer should I be exempt from breaking the law?

Would I get a discount?
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    WTF is wrong with you people? The OP asked a simple question, and she deserved a simple answer. Keep your nasty comments to yourself.

"WTF is wrong with you people?" <
    Sorta like this one?

What do you mean by YOU people?
    ^^^^^ to funny made me think of the movie tropic thunder, you made my day

I thought of tropic thunder too!!

I want to add to the conversation... I am off to a good start today with my eating. :-)
This discussion has been closed.