40+ Club - Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    So sorry been MIA, extremely busy. I really want to read everyone's posts and respond. Maybe at work? :noway: :laugh: Have to get ready. I also need your motivation!!! Feel I have gained, feel horrible...been eating junk, craving sugar, etc etc...:grumble: :explode: I am stressed out!!!! :sad: :sad: :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning alf. I can understand how you feel about eating junk. I had a whole week of doing that. But I think that taking that week off has helped me so much. Got me out of my rut and my body is certainly surprised to find that I am back to seriously working out and eating well. I didn't gain while I was being a bad girl and have lost almost two pounds since this past weekend. I didn't realize just how much a routine can keep the weight from coming off.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Swiss, glad to hear about the weight loss. Over time I've come to realize that the diet (or lack thereof) is so very important where weight loss or gain is concerned. How much do I eat? Too many calories? Too few? Too much carb? Not enought protein? It's really confusing. Stiring has the right idea: Listen to your body. Eat sensibly, exercise regularly. Mix up the routine. Keep your body "off-balance". We are all creatures of habit (me esp.). I can easily fall into a rut and stay there for a while. We all are experiencing the same things, so let's keep the lines of communication open. We will get through this together!!

Alf!!! I'm so glad you checked in. You know me, I get worried when our regulars are absent. I hope all is well with you and don't get too stressed. That's my job!! :laugh:

PS- In about another week when this topic reaches the 500 post cutoff, I will start another one. The title will be: 40+ Club - "I'm Dreaming Of A Light Christmas".
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Sing - I love the new name.

I've been have a great week so far. Doing a great job of eathing healthy and drinking all my water. I've decided to start back on my no alcohol on weeknights. I've start a 30 Day shred and will probably do 2 cycles of it and then start CX again in the new year (with Alf???) My son and I are still training for the 5K in December and hoping the roads remain snow and ice free from now until race day.

Stiring - glad to hear this week is including time for exercise. I know Sing really enjoyed Insanity just wondering what you think of it from a woman's perspective.

Texas - Gee if you almost scored a goal it is their loss not inviting you to join.

ALF: Sorry to hear about your stress and hoping it is not health related.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hello all!!

T-minus 3 days plus a few hours.............the hubby's flight to start his deployment to Afghanistan leaves at 7:30am on Sunday......yuk!! The only good thing about it is he leaves from our regional airport 20 miles from home instead of having to drive all the way to Kansas City (130 miles).

I've been swamped at work this week coordinating stuff for two vacant position searches we just opened up (I provide all the computer and logistical support for the search committee). So........I haven't had time to dwell at work, which is a good thing.

I have my Curves bag with me in the car; the plan is to go there tonight and work off some stress - my neck and upper back are hurting......that's where I carry my stress.:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

Enjoy the rest of the week.........and the sunshine if you've got it!!
    Marla
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

mk, thanks for checking in! I can't believe your husband is leaving so quickly! I'll be thinking about you.

tron, I really appreciate what you said about people who complain about their weight...and do nothing about it. My mother was like that, and it drove me crazy. She has since lost quite a bit of weight (through illness), but she used to be the epitome of the yo-yo dieter. And, as her child, if she was on a diet, I was on a diet. I remember going through the Scarsdale diet more times than I care to remember....and I wasn't overweight as a kid! No wonder I have some messed up views about food.

Tex....England!?! How exciting! I lived in England for four years (back in the mid 90s) so if you have any questions, please let me know. I didn't live near Oxford (actually lived only a few miles from Cambridge), but I did travel around quite a bit and can give some good recommendations for things to do/places to see. I loved the four years we spent in England. I think, after all is said and done with this military career, it will probably go down as one of my favorite assignments because of all that can be done on that island.

Swissmiss, all I know about the food in Korea is that it is spicy, it is healthy, and they don't differentiate between breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will probably be eating American style most of the time, so I don't expect a huge difference in my eating habits minus not having access to places like Whole Foods and such. I'm really anxious to try the local cuisine, though, and am not worried about gaining weight eating it because the smallness/thinness of the Koreans, in my opinion, tells me their food is just fine to eat. I'm happy to hear about your weight loss, and am glad you are having a better week.

singfree, I love the new thread title. Thank you for creating one. I was afraid I'd lose you all here when I'm off-line for a few days, and I can't stand the idea of that. So now I'll know how to find you when I get reconnected. I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I hope it is just temporary, and you'll be back to normal soon.

alf, {{{{HUGS}}}}. About your diet, don't worry about it. I had a horrible week last week. Swissmiss has said the same. singfree was struggling a few weeks back. In other words, we ALL go through those phases. One thing I learned last week is to let myself go through it when I need to go through it (which I felt last week)....and then get to the other side. Like Swissmiss, I didn't suffer any horrible consequences from eating cake/ice cream and drinking wine for 9 straight days (which is what I did). It got me through a really difficult time, and now I've moved on. I'm sure you will do the same thing. So don't put too much pressure on yourself about your diet if you are feeling pressure/stress from other areas. Allow yourself the break, try to enjoy it while you are doing it, and feel confident (because you should) that you will get right back on track when you can. Like duffy, I hope your stress isn't caused by anything health related (knowing you were supposed to get your biopsy results last week), and hope that everything smooths out for you soon.

duffy, I've been doing the Insanity workouts now on and off for about three weeks. This is the first week I've tried to follow anything like a week of the rotation (since I was finishing up P90X when I started adding Insanity workouts). I love them! I always feel like I've accomplished something when I finish. And while they are tough to do when I'm doing them, they leave me feeling energized instead of exhausted after I'm done.

That being said....my body is definitely feeling them, and I do wonder if I will enjoy a 60 day rotation. There is a great deal of impact, and despite the fact that I'm used to high impact exercise, I'm feeling it in places like my hip flexors and thighs. This might be temporary (I hope!), and it does indicate these workouts are getting me in places I don't normally use. But two months of this high impact may be a bit tough. But the individual workouts are absolutely terrific, and as I said a couple of weeks ago, I am totally in love with Shaun T. His personality seems so warm to me that it totally motivates me throughout these workouts. If I didn't think I'd feel stupid doing them, I'd probably try Hip-Hop Abs just for more of Shaun T.

I did Cardio Recovery this morning (which I needed after three solid days of high impact) and went for a long walk. I ate pretty clean yesterday (no sweets!) despite having a lunch to attend. I have another lunch tomorrow, and my husband wants to eat out on Friday night. We started our tour here in LA by eating at a restaurant at LA Harbor (which is near where we live), and he wants to end our tour there as well. I think it will be a perfect ending if we can do that. They serve mostly seafood, so I'm not too worried about the health aspect of it all.

I am getting nervous about the holiday season, though. My husband spammed me with more invitations yesterday. As things stand, between now and the first of December, we have two formal events, two semi-formal events and two informal dinners. Then, of course, there is Thanksgiving. And the invites for Christmas parties haven't started rolling in yet, though we anticipate at least (!) four of those. That's alot of social eating, and I'm going to have to make sure I keep myself under control under what I know will be, for me, somewhat stressful circumstances. Thankfully, we'll have our scale back before December, and that might be the incentive I need to keep myself under control. :laugh: I did measure myself yesterday and, so far, I'm holding my own.

Take care everybody!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Stiring, I think that you should try the Hip Hop Abs. Don't worry about how you look doing it just have fun. It sounds like Korea is the place to go to lose weight. I think that I will look up some Korean recipes. My husband collects cookbooks so I should be able to find some.

:flowerforyou: Marla, I also have stress show up in my neck and upper back. Not only that but my husband noticed that I am not carrying a good posture when I use weights and that is causing my neck to hurt even more.

I will be going to bed soon. I don't get enough sleep. Actually, I don't think that I need much. They say that we should get 7 to 8 hours and that if we don't get enough then we could have trouble losing weight. I usually get 4 to 5 hours and if I sleep more then I feel horrible. Don't make sense to me. Maybe I just don't need much.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

While I'm not feeling good, I'm not feeling too bad, either. Just a lot of congestion and a scratchy throat. I can live with that. I'll be working about 12 hours per day, from now through Monday. Either I will be yoo busy to eat, or I will grab something bad. I need to concentrate on eating good food, especially when my body is stressed from illness and work.

MK, I'll be thinking of you and your family. It's always tough having a loved one away from home. I'm sure your husband will be comforted to know that you are a strong capable woman who will take care of the family until his return. Best wishes on this journey!

Stiring, thank you for your last post. My thoughts are with you and your husband as you begin yet another chapter in this book we call life. You have a wonderful, healthy attitude about the move. The things you are experiencing are priceless and the memories you are creating cannot be described by mere words. That's how we feel about travel. A lot of people just don't get this aspect. II'm glad you like the new topic. If you somehow can't find us, please send one of us a message and we will be happy to lead you back home with your friends. I won't say "auf Wiedersehen", but rather "auf Wiederschauen".

Duffy, I don't have the willpower to train outdoors in the cold months, but you go girl! I'm also considering not having wine during the week, and have it as a treat on the weekend.

Have a great day!
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Morning All! Let me just say that the people on this thread are amazing! I am in awe of all that is going on in our lives and so proud that despite the moves, the work, the craziness of life we are all trying to keep ourselves on the priority list.

Stiring: I think your dinner out Friday sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the info on Insanity and I'm glad to hear you have positive feedback on Shaun T. I'm considering Hip Hop Abs because my daughter is looking for some exercises to do this winter between Volleyball season and Track and Field Season. I think we would enjoy Hip Hop Abs.

Sing: I suggest you head to the pharmacy and get some EmergenC. We went through a whole box at our house the week of the flu and I'm convinced it kept the severity lower.

MK: I will be thinking about you the next few days and hoping you can enjoy your time with your husband before his deployment. I have a friend serving in Afganistan right now and am always thrilled when I see posts from him on FB. Hopefully you husband will be able to stay connected with you and the girls while away.

See you all tommorrow for Friday check-in!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Hi everyone, I hope that all is right with you. I have some news...my daughter, who could probably stand to lose about 40 pounds, has agreed to join the Zumba class with me. I am going to register her tonight and get her started. She is a terrific dancer. She seems to have rythem built right in her. I am hoping that she sticks it out.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi all!

singfree, happy to hear you aren't feeling too poorly. I hope that you don't get any worse with these long days. Just remember to drink lots of fluids, stay warm and dry, eat right, and try to get as much sleep as you can.

Thank you for your kind words about my approach to this move. I woke up this morning with some butterflies in my belly, but, for the most part, I'm calm about the whole thing and just ready to move on. We had the big going-away lunch today for my husband and I, and my husband's boss asked me if I was going around doing all the things I like to do in LA one last time. I thought about it a minute and said 'no'...because I'm not. I've done that in the past but, anymore, my philosophy is to just keep the focus forward. I can regret all I'm leaving or I can look to what I'm gaining, and I prefer to do the latter (as much as possible, of course, because there are times when that isn't so easy). This is going to be such a wild adventure.

duffy, I loved what you said about how, despite all that is going on in the lives of many on this thread, we are taking the time to keep ourselves a priority. I think that is the absolute best way to look at the whole fitness/health thing....it is a matter of making yourself a priority. I'm going to remember that as things get even busier over the next few weeks. And if you try Hip-Hop Abs, please let us know how you like it. I'm going to look into a little bit more, but probably won't do anything about getting it until after the new year.

Swissmiss, I'm so happy to hear about your daughter! How fun that will be to have her with you at Zumba. What a great example you are for her. :flowerforyou:

I started out my day with Insanity Cardio Plyometrics. That's about all I could fit in this morning (plus a short walk) because of the going-away lunch. I also have a going-away tonight. I'm managing to stay within my calories right now despite the fact that I'm not eating as healthy as I would prefer. But I'm doing better than I usually do during these moves, and that makes me happy.

Tomorrow is going to be a crazy day getting ready to fly out, but I will make sure to take a moment to check-in with you all because it is Friday! I hope everybody has a good evening.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Happy Friday to all! It's also reporting day, folks. I've been eating pretty well this week. My cold has not curbed my appetite at all, though. I have not exercised as much this week because I am a bit run down from work, stress and the cold. My clothes seem to fit just fine, so that is a good indicator of how I'm doing.

Today i will be working 12 hours. We are DEFINITELY going out for a nice meal tonight!!! Ihave to work again tomorrow, then from 11 pm on Sunday night until at least Monday afternoon when the inventory should be finished. Thank goodness for overtime!! Some of my colleagues only get "comp" time when they work late.

Enough about my woes. I hope thtat all is well with you. I am shocked about the tragic events at Ft. Hood. I pray for those families.

Stiring, I will try to do all of the things you suggested. Staying warm and getting enough sleep will be problematic though this weekend. Have a safe journey, my dear sister of fitness. I will think of you often as you journey to Korea. A toast to you...Prosit!!! :drinker:

Have a great day!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! I am still shocked about what happened in Ft Hood. It is all so sad. As you may remember my daughter and SIL are stationed there. They were on lockdown until about 8pm and it was a nightmare to leave the post. The guards were checking each car as they were leaving the gate so you can imagine the traffic. My grandaughter was out of post at the babysitter's. The babysitter's husband works at the ctr where the shootings occurred but luckily he had been sent to do some work at another location. My phone did not stop ringing since the news broke out, everyone calling asking about my daughter. My thoughts and prayers for those families who lost loved ones and the injured.

MK, (((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))) wishing your husband a safe trip and mission in Afghanistan. Stay strong for yourself and your children. :flowerforyou:

Stiring, enjoy your last day in LA and I wish you a safe trip to Korea. I am going to miss you. Maybe you can go to the library as soon as you can to send us an email. We would love to hear from you as soon as possible. You will soon discover the fabulous Korean cuisine. It is my favorite food and it is very healthy. :flowerforyou:

Swiss, glad you are enjoying Zumba so much!!! Oh forgot to tell you guys, my younger sister is here and my older sister arrives tonight. They are spending time with me, early celebration of my birthday. My younger sister is a Zumba instructor in SC so we went to a class last night and the instructor put us both on stage to do part of a Samba song. We had a blast. I start my classes at Lackland AFB the first wk in Dec, Tue and Thu at 7pm. It does not pay much but I will use it as practice and build up clientele for future classes outside the base. I hope your daughter enjoys Zumba, it is a great and fun workout as you well know.

Duffy, good to hear from you. Did I say that I ran the Combat Medic 10K Run last Saturday? I finished in 55:53 It was sooooo cold, 45 degrees. Brrr! The rock and roll half marathon in next wk Sun, Nov 15. I can definitely start ChaLean next year with you, let me know when you will start. I have 2 more wks of P90X and I want to do Shred until Jan. The problem is that my daughter has it and she says she cannot find it since she moved out of her house, getting ready to leave the military. :grumble: :noway: Doing the shred would be a good change of pace during the Holidays. I was planning on doing all 3 circuits every other day.

I know I am forgetting some people and I do apologize...that is what I get for not posting regularly. :laugh: For those asking about my biopsy, results were negative, thank God. Thank you for asking. I am also happy to report that I am still under my weight goal. I got on the scale this morning thinking I was going to be at least 3 pounds over...Swiss, maybe junk food was what I needed. :laugh: I am overwhelmed with work and having to be Zumba ready for my classes in Dec. I just cant find the time to do so much that I have to do. I am planning to enjoy my time with my sisters this weekend and get to work hard on everything coming next week.

Have a wonderful day and weekend!!! Not sure if I will be able to post. My thoughts will be with you MK and Stiring. Sing how can I forget my favorite MFP male!!!!! :noway: Thanks for asking about me and good luck with your inventory at work. Try to take some time to relax if you can, even sitting for a few mins at work and take a few deep breaths with your eyes closed.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    ALF - So glad to hear your daughter is well - I thought about you as soon as I heard about the tragedy! My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this senseless act.

Great 10K time 45 is perfect running temp in fact I just read in Men's Fitness that the optimal temp for a marathon is 41. We had sleet here yesterday and this morning it is in the low 30s. It is making it hard on me to get out for a walk this morning.

My daughter seemed really interested in Hip Hop Abs so I may order it to tie me over until the new year. ALF: I was thinking of starting CX on the first Monday in January. I think that is the 4th.

Reporting Day - Food, Water, and Exercise all good this week. I did end up having Wine last night with my Grey's Anatomy but only 1 small glass and will still limit my self to only a few nights a week. Plus, I remember when Thursday was the start of the weekend.:laugh:

Sing: Enjoy your dinner out tonight after your crazy week you deserve it.

Stiring: Safe travels and can't wait to hear from you from Korea.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Happy Friday everybody! :drinker:

singfree, I'm happy to hear you continue to feel all right. Enjoy that meal out tonight!

alf, great to see you! Great news on the Zumba. I hope you enjoy teaching. I'm going to have to try Zumba some day because it looks so fun. Maybe the base in Korea has a class. Thanks for letting us know about your biopsy. Great news! :drinker:

duffy, my weekend started on Wednesday this week. :tongue: I figured that's okay since I'm losing nearly a day when flying because of crossing the international date line. I tell you what, I'm getting really good at justifying my behavior these days. :laugh:

Reporting day....despite the fact I have been eating pretty badly on and off for the last two weeks, my clothes fit good AND my husband commented that he thinks I actually look thinner right now. I had on a pair of dress slacks yesterday that seemed unusually loose, but my measurements are the same as they have been for a number of weeks so I find it hard to believe given the eating, the decrease in general activity, and my measurements that I have lost any weight. Right now, I'm just happy that I seem to be maintaining my weight despite some poor eating choices.

I woke up this morning feeling pretty anxious but did Insanity's Cardio Power and Cardio Abs and now feel much better....less anxious and more excited. I'm hoping I am able to start working out again on Tuesday (I think Monday may be impossible given our schedule for that day). I'm also hoping that I will start eating a little healthier when we get to the other side of the ocean. :blushing: Thank you all for your good wishes. I'll report in as soon as I can!

I hope everybody has a great weekend. :flowerforyou:
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh.... What the heck is happening in our world lately. I was busy raking the leaves in my yard yesterday so I didn't hear about the Texas shooting that happened until I was watching the news about another shooting that was happening today..... Its so sad.

As for me, I have been pretty busy working in my yard with all the falling leaves and pine needles. Sometimes I wish I had a smaller yard.:laugh: Also I took a day to help my mother move in a truck load of her stuff into the house she will be living in. She is a pack rat and a thrift store junkie so she has WAY TOO MUCH STUFF!!!!! What irritates me to no end is that my step dad does absolutely NOTHING!!!!! I'm not kidding.... Didn't bring one box inside. The shear laziness is unbelievable.

String.... Try to post a lot of pictures so we can all experience Korea through your eyes. My be the only way we get to see that part of the world.... :wink:

Sing.... I hope you are feeling better. Dont over do it until you feel 100%

Alf.... Scary to hear that your daughter was at Fort Hood when all that was going on. That goodness everyone is safe and that you have a clean bill of health.

MK.... I will keep you in my prayers so that the time fly's quickly and safely until your husband returns

Swiss.... Great that your daughter is going to go to zumba classes with you. It makes it so much nicer when you have a work out buddy.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Hey, what am I doing here at work on a Sat. morning???? I'm trying to finish up our inventory counting sometime today, so I don't have to work tomorrow. I'll be back at work on Sunday night at 11 pm. The audit begins at 7 am on Monday and I will be staying until the the audit is complete...late afternoon. Being up that many hours, there is no way that I will drive to Hershey for an evening rehearsal. I hardly have a speking voice with this cold. I am armed with some decent food to eat today, so I won't attack the snacks.

Last night we went to a local restaurant and sat at the bar for a few drinks and a bite to eat. Madeline's is a great place nearby that has really nice patrons. It is casual but a bit more upscale than your typical place. No loud drunks, just great people out to relax and have a nice time. I had 2 Sam Adams Oktoberfest draft beers and a turkey club sandwich (mustard, no mayo). I know I live near the Yuengling brewery, but Oktoberfest beer is available for a limited time. It is very good, but does not taste like a Munich beer.

My thoughts and best wishes to all my dear friends here for a happy and restful weekend, and especially for Stiring and MK, stay strong!!!

Have a great weekend!!!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Alf, I am so glad that your daughter and SIL are alright. I would be so worried if I had a child there.

sing, your evening sounded great. I am hoping that my husband and I can spend some time over a glass of wine tonight.

:flowerforyou: tron, I was also shocked to hear of another shooting. I have a granddaughter at college in Orlando so I was concerned. I know that she is alright because the shooting didn't happen at the college but I have been trying to reach her mother to see if she was concerned about her being so close.

I am soooo ashamed. I went to breakfast with my husband this morning before my Zumba class and ate almost my entire day's worth of calories. At least I did burn off some of them but this leaves me without any for tonight when I really wanted to spend an evening with my husband.
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well last night I made a healthier version (not healthy I bet) of chicken Parmesan. I cooked the chicken breasts on the George Forman grill and covered it with organic spaghetti sauce. I should have covered it with the less fat mozzarella but I only had the full fat version in the freezer. Pretty tasty and it wasn't fried so thats good.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: tron, I just read your thread to my husband. He loves to make chicken Parmesari and it is way too many calories. Maybe he will take your recipe the next time. I am in the midst of re-training him to cook healthier. Hard to get him to change.