40+ Club - Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Not much to report this morning, gang. I've been here at work since 7 pm last evening. Our big inventory audit begins in one hour and usually lasts all day. Wish me well!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Heading out to the gym, but wanted to wish you luck, Sing!

Will write more later today, when I have time.

Tron, the chicken parm light version sounds yummy!!!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hello all!!!

Well...........I survived putting the hubby on the plane yesterday morning.....I think this leaving has been harder on him than on me this time....not sure why. He's in VA out-processing until Friday when he flies to Kuwait City and points beyond. Today he's had "Death by Powerpoint" all day, so we played email tag all morning:laugh: :laugh:

I stepped back on the scale this morning.........not good:frown: :frown: :frown: but I expected it. The last 2 weeks I barely worked out and of course ate like crap. But........... I gave myself yesterday to feel sorry for myself and eat like crap for the last time.

Today I started logging my foods again and will be back to the workouts at least 3 times a week.

So.....my journey to a smaller body begins once again.....176 days to a new, less flabby me!!!:laugh:

I really appreciate all the thoughts and support for me that everyone's put in the thread.........I don't feel as alone as I did last time he deployed - I've got such a great group of MFP friends!!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Swiss.... I used a "no salt" seasoning blend on the chicken before I cooked it on the grill.... I actually dont think anyone even missed the breading.

MK..... Maybe use your husband being gone as a motive to get fitter. You want to look amazing (not that you dont already because I think you do) when he returns.:wink:

Sing.... Have fun at work... If thats possible.:laugh:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,813 Member
    Options
    Let me be the first to wish you all a Happy Tuesday!!

I'm looking at the clock on my computer, and it is hard for me to believe it is still mid-afternoon on Monday in California, and I've already had Tuesday's breakfast. :noway: This is going to take some getting used to. But, as you can probably guess, my husband and I made it to Korea safely. :drinker:

So much has happened since Friday, but I'll try to be brief. The flight went smoothly. We're handling the jet lag pretty well. I'm impressed with everything I've seen in Korea so far. I just moved us (well, me and our six suitcases) into our new home, which is stunningly beautiful. The reception for us here has been absolutely terrific. In other words, everything is really going wonderfully smoothly so far for this kind of move.

I ate absolutely everything in sight from the minute I woke up on Saturday (in California), but I did that intentionally because I find if I eat alot, I don't suffer from motion sickness as much (which I'm a tad prone to), and was concerned about that with the long flight. I've also found throughout our many moves overseas that my appetite is really what gets out of whack when I change time zones, so I'm hungry all the time. And to combat the tiredness, I find it best just to eat until my body gets back on a routine (which usually takes a few days). I wish I could say I've been eating healthy, but I haven't. We arrived to some spectacular gift baskets full of locally baked products, and I can't say 'no' to that (for many reasons). So I'm just not thinking about eating right now. I'll get back on track soon....no doubt.

But the good news is I actually got a workout in yesterday (Monday....we landed on Sunday night here). I didn't know if I would be up to it or not, but did Insanity's Pure Cardio and it felt great. I got some more of my workout stuff in the mail, and I'm going to go do Insanity Plyo and probably a P90X upper body workout with my resistance tubing this morning. I feel good about that part, even though the eating has been bad.

Our billeting room had a scale. I weighed myself right after we got to the room, and I was up about four pounds from when I last weighed myself. But I actually don't think that is bad after getting off a 13 hour flight where I ate everything in sight AND was retaining every fluid known to mankind (as I do when I'm flying). My clothes are still fitting right now, so given both those things, I'm not too concerned about this right now.

My head is spinning, but in a good way right now. I think we are really going to enjoy this assignment, and I can't wait to get out and explore some of the local surroundings.

mk, my thoughts are with you. I'm glad you allowed yourself some treats. I know that is my approach right now. So while I applaud you on getting back on track so quickly, I also hope you don't beat yourself up too hard for giving yourself a break if and when you need a break over the next six months. You are doing so great!

singfree, I hope your work day went well!!

tron, great idea for Chicken Parmesan. I'm ready to get back to home cooking, that's for sure. I even bought a new set of pots and pans yesterday so that I can cook more until we get our household goods. This might be something I try!

Off to workout for the first time in my new home! :drinker: As silly as this sounds since it has only been a few days, I really have missed you all, and I'm happy to be back home with you here on MFP. :flowerforyou:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Anayeso, Stiring!
    I'm sure that's probably not spelled right, but I do remember enough Korean to know that I just said hello to you! Beyond that, my Korean is limited to a few foods, a few cuss words/phrases and the words for man, woman and baby!:laugh: :laugh: Strange what sticks in your mind after 26+ years!:laugh: :laugh: I'm glad to hear you made it OK - I remember how horribly long my flight to Korea from LA was , and we stopped overnight in Tokyo too! That was a whole other "adventure", not a good one at all!! Short version - wasn't smart enough to even carry a change of underwear in my carryon (first time I'd EVER been on a plane), the airport signs were NOT English friendly, and they drive on the wrong side of the road in Japan!!!!!

Anyhow........glad you made it OK. Are you at Osan Air base or Pyong Tek? I can't remember where you said you were headed.

Didn't make it to work out tonight - too sore after going to the chiropractor. All of the stress for the last 2+ weeks had settled into my back, neck and shoulders - ouch!!! The chiropractor noticed how bad I was, so I finally told him that I'd put my husband on a flight to Afghanistan for 6 months yesterday and he said that explained why my muscles were so tense. So, I'm headed back to the heating pad as soon as I finish here, and hope to feel better in the morning.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I went to my strength class tonight. Boy, can that girl really make us work. I am only using three and five pound weights. She has us jumping all over the place going from one to another weight. We also use a med ball. I am doing well with all of it with the exception of the push-ups and dips. They are a bit much for my injured shoulder to take.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Great to hear from you Stiring!!!!! I cant wait to hear more about your thoughts about Korea!

MK, focus on yourself while your hubby is gone. We are here for you. :flowerforyou:

Well, my sisters left today. :sad: I had a wonderful weekend with family. That was a very nice birhtday gift. And of course with gatherings and celebration there was a lot of eating and some drinking. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!! I feel 10lbs heavier. :noway: I know I am not but that is how I feel...I really need to get back to healthy eating before it gets out of hand and I will regret it. I need to take control of my eating. I have no problem with exercising. I am starting wk 4 of phase 3 of P90X tomorrow and I ran close to 9 miles this morning. My husband and I are doing the Rock and Roll half marathon this coming Sunday. I can't wait, I think it is going to be a lot of fun!! My younger sister, who is also a Zumba instructor, brought a lof of her Zumba cds and instructional videos so I have a lot of work to do to get my routine ready. I have about 3 wks to get it ready for my first class!!! I am getting nervous. :noway:

Take care!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Well, I survived the dreaded audit yesterday. It really takes a toll on my body, both physically and mentally. I was awake (with a few cat naps) for around 36 hours straight. I still have a very bad head cold which is not helping, either. I was so overly tired that I needed a piece of an Ambien to get to sleep. After work today I have a Dr appt. to set up a colonoscopy. I had one done 2 years ago and had a few polyps removed, so this one is just to make sure everything is ok.

Stiring! I'm so glad to hear from you. You were missed by all of us, even though it was only a few days. From your post I just know that you are going to like this assignment. BTW- do you know how long you will be in Korea?

MK, we ARE here for you. You know that you can depend on us for support. Best wishes to you and your family.

Swiss, really good job in the workouts. Just don't overdo it. The shoulder problem will improve as you strengthen the area. Take it from someone who's been there. I had shoulder impingement syndrome 7 years ago. My shoulder still bothers me at times.

Alf, I'm glad you had a good time with family. Get back in the saddle and flush those weekend indulgences out of your system...the memories you can keep forever!

Have a great day!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: alf, how great to have a Zumba instructor right in the family. My son's girlfriend teaches but I have only met her once and have not gotten to see how she does. We had a substitute teacher last Saturday. She really worked us hard and didn't do any of the routines that we are accustom to. I know that my regular instructor will ask how she was. Really the only thing that sort of bothered me was the she didn't smile once during the class. I am used to an instructor smiling and really enjoying Zumba.

sing, I have a question....I just heard yesterday that we shouldn't have too many colonoscopies, that once every ten years or so is enough. Something about them being hard on our bodies. My supervisor is getting her second one at the end of this month. I have not had one yet. Not sure if I ever will. They don't sound like very much fun.:cry:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in! So glad to hear from Stiring and happy to hear you've already been working out. Way to Go!:drinker:

ALF: Enjoy the Rock and Roll Half - I've heard good and bad things about that franchise (mainly the crappy t-shirt and runners know it is all about the good shirts)

Sing: Now that the Audit is done I hope you are able to kick the cold.

I didn't do a good job of getting my water in over the weekend so now I'm back to carrying around my Sigg. Oh Well off to do the Shred. Have a great Tuesday All!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday all!!

I give this greeting as if it were the beginning of a new week or perhaps even a new chapter in my life. The motivation for joining MFP and losing these pounds is over and done with!:drinker: :drinker: Our two daughters are married, the last of our guests have returned to their home states and I am here in a state of... "directionnessless" Oh, I know that is not a word, but you know what I mean!:wink: Don't worry, I see this as a challenge to enjoy the ability to CHOOSE the path ahead rather than take the trail required. So many obligations that have lead me through these months since joining in May, and I enjoyed that stage of life. Two wonderful new Sons-in- Law, a full and bustling house, a long task list each day, but now I look forward to organizing my days, household, and LIFE!!

You all have been my motivators and encouragers. So many of my friends have asked how I lost the weight and this site and all of you received the credit! Thanks so much to my 40+ friends! :flowerforyou: It was so fun to be at my girls' weddings feeling confident, healthy and up to the task!

I am planning to stay right here as I work off the last 5 lbs. and establish a healthy lifestyle with the rest of you. It is A-mazing to keep up with this thread and see how all of us struggle with the same lifestyle challenges. Keeping it all in perspective... "Fitness that fits" into my life!

Stiring - So glad you have made the move and now can concentrate on your life in Korea. "Limbo-land" is so hard on us!! It will be so fun to learn all about your surroundings and the culture there through you!

MK - :brokenheart: I am sure your husband's absence will be difficult - but I know you will use this time well as you anticipate his return! Certainly defines your goals! I hope your back and neck feel better soon so that you can carry on!

Sing - Whew! Glad inventory is done for you. That sounds excruciating!! Be sure to reward yourself and the wife that has missed you with a little something from that overtime pay!:flowerforyou: Hope you can rest and recover now!

Alf - So glad that your daughter is unharmed. I'm not sure how big the Ft. Hood organization is but it must affect their family being so close to it! Prayers have been answered with you biopsy. It is good to be able to move on I'm sure. Just as you have given us encouragement so many times, please do not fret the dietary lapses. They are just that, I am sure you will be back to all the good habits you enjoy so much!

Reality calls. We have one home with this flu and it is TIME to get back to the usual. (I won't even mention laundry :laugh: ) Lots of debris that needs to find it's proper spot and catching up to do! The weight report was great. Through all this I have stayed under 140! That was my goal and now to move on!

Have a great week everybody!:happy: :happy:

Hoosiermomma
  • singfree
    Options
    Good Morning Again!

I just noticed that we will be hitting the 500 post cut-off very quickly, maybe even today.

I will start the new topic now so we have a new and exciting place to meet.

Please join me at:

40+ Club: I'm Dreaming Of A Light Christmas

See you there!
  • singfree
    Options
    The new topic is up and running. See you there. Please make the change now. We are already seeing some new people who want to join in the fun!!

40+ Club - I'm Dreaming Of A Light Christmas