Told my mum i'm thinking of loosing weight...

Options

Replies

• morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Although OP looking at your goals, unless you are 3 ft 2in they seem really low weights?

Ummm a GW of 130 is not that low. You don't have to be 3ft 2in to be in a healthy range at that weight. I'm 5'5" and aim to be 135. If she is shorter than 5'5" she could easily have a 130 or lower goal. Just saying.

My sister is around 5'3" and looks good around 110-120. She has a small frame. Everyone is different. However, 120-130 as a GW isn't that low imo.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?
  • Minnie92x
    Minnie92x Posts: 107
    Options
    how tall are you?

5'0, I don't believe my goals are really low in the slightest?
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?

5'0, I don't believe my goals are really low in the slightest?

Your goal is perfectly normal for your height. I am 4'10ish and my goal is between 115 - 120...
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    no way, your goals are good.... i'm 5.2ft and i started at 140, CW 126.8 gw 125 ugw 122...
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    OMG! Our mum's must be long lost sisters!!!

Hi cousin!!!!
  • slobkat
    slobkat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I asked my mum to get me some fruit when she was popping to the shops today. She came back with a box of chocolates!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are you able to go shopping with your mum so that when she puts things like this in you can subtly remove them with comments like "last time you bought this we had to throw it away so lets not waste any money on it this time" or " the sell by date is tomorrow there's no way it will get eaten - lets put it back" or "you know I rather fancy some (put food here) instead of that - don't bother buying it" or "the last one you bought is still in the freezer - we don't need another one". With the ones she has bought chop them up into small portions and freeze them. Then if you are tempted you get a small portion and have to wait whilst it defrosts.

This is a good idea if she's up for it. When my 15 year old son goes shopping w/me he can buy whatever he wants within reason. If he doesn't come then I just buy whatever. If he wants to come we often split up and he just puts whatever he wants in the cart.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    haha, oh dear,
    I would be in the same boat if I lived at home.
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Are you able to go shopping with your mum so that when she puts things like this in you can subtly remove them with comments like "last time you bought this we had to throw it away so lets not waste any money on it this time" or " the sell by date is tomorrow there's no way it will get eaten - lets put it back" or "you know I rather fancy some (put food here) instead of that - don't bother buying it" or "the last one you bought is still in the freezer - we don't need another one". With the ones she has bought chop them up into small portions and freeze them. Then if you are tempted you get a small portion and have to wait whilst it defrosts.

I guess I have a different relationship with my mum as many seem to be walking on eggs-shells around theirs.

Instead of the (a little bit patronising sounding) "Let's not waste any money on it this time"

I would have said "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!! Cakes! I'm on a flippin diet mum, I can't have cakes!!!!!"

Hahaha best response ever!!!
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    I know the feeling! My mum bought Nutella, cheesecake, and pound cakes..... >.>'

Luckily I go back to school beginning of August so I just have to wait it out until then!
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    That looks like a very undermining gesture. What's up?

BTW, it's "losing weight, " only one "o."

Pretty sure I posted this in food and nutrition did I actually post it in spelling and grammar? Oops didn't realise my mistake!

She's helping you not look like an idiot in the future. Maybe you should thank her for the help and move on.
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Wow... that's a load of treats. If I was in that situation, I'd do one of two things. Leave it sitting on top of everything in the deep freeze and just keep reminding myself that being a size smaller will be worth sooooo much more than eating any of that stuff. And by keeping it on the top of the freezer kinda shows your mom you have will power and lots of motivation to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

If I knew for a fact that I could not do the above.... I would bury it in the bottom of the freezer. Out of sight, out of mind!

Good luck on your journey!!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think others (relatives/friends/acquaintances) see what you're trying to do and they want to discourage you. Usually because they're jealous and/or think they are helping. If you can't return it, then donate it to an organization that helps tl feed homeless people. That way you know the person(s) receiving it will benefit from your kindness.
  • notnormallyacaloriecounter
    Options
    eat it THEN start your diet, bahahahaha
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I would simply wait until mum was out of the house, bag it all up and toss it in the trash. I'd even drive it to a gas station and drop it their trash if you're worried about hurting mum's feelings. But if no one else is going to eat it, GET RID OF IT!
  • schume89
    schume89 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That looks like a very undermining gesture. What's up?

BTW, it's "losing weight, " only one "o."

Pretty sure I posted this in food and nutrition did I actually post it in spelling and grammar? Oops didn't realise my mistake!

love this! haha
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Start showing your willpower now sister.......soon mum may want to look like you and be impressed you stayed away from temptation...My husband brought home a whole cheesecake and that and Ice Cream are my two biggest weaknesses and I didn't touch it. Never even took a bite of it. Now he's saying he needs to do what I'm doing.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    take it back to store get money back on it. Save money up to give back to your mom later. Or throw it away. No one really needs it. If she asks then say I ate it.

^^^BEST

Or...just throw it away. Now THAT is power!!!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    On the side of "maybe she doesn't know how bad the stuff is" you could try asking her how many calories she thinks it's good to eat in a day. You could discuss/explain how many YOU are trying to eat in a day, and then, together, look at the labels and discuss whether or not it's worth it to eat it.

You could also try explaining how many calories you burn in an hour of aerobics/walking/whatever you do and comparing that to the calories in the treats. Again, discuss if it's worth it.