Morbidly Obese & Exercise

Options

Replies

• Julienetan
    Julienetan Posts: 44
    Options
    i cut down on eating rice or dont eat at all for days, i manage to cut down almost 10 kgs in a month
  • feliz1
    feliz1 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi I started this journey at 327lbs and at first walking was difficult and painful but it has gotten better. The water aerobics so many are suggesting would definately be a plus. Easier on the joints and fun as well. I sent you a MFP request and would like to join you on this journey.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Water walking and even sitting and standing multiple times will help. Go see a doctor and have a check-up first and they will suggest things to do that are right for your physical health. Your number one factor is going to be food. You can lose weight by just altering the food you eat. If you move a little more and eat better, it will fall right off! Just make sure you are eating enough. 1200 for obese is not enough. Log for about a week what you really eat and then cut 500 or so from that. Then month by month cut another 100 or so until you reach your calorie goal. Each month make a new physical goal too. Like water walking a half mile or adding in weights. GOOD LUCK!
  • free2live72003
    Options
    At my heaviest (at least documented heaviest, ha!:happy: ) I was 325lbs.

At 50 years old (18 months ago) I had weightloss surgery and am now down to 160lbs and I am so grateful for the ability to truly move again. Now I am doing Zumba, 5K runs, strength training and all the things I always wished I could do.

I am not trying to talk you into weight loss surgery, just sharing my personal choice and experience.

But, prior to surgery at 325lbs I walked as much as possible and the best shoes for me were Asics because they had good support and plenty of gel to cushion my feet as I walked. Walking was often uncomfortable--but, truthfully at that weight sitting, laying down, and everything in between was uncomfortable for me. I had to get to the place in my mind that it would take and embrace an increased level of "discomfort" in order to reach my goal of "living again" and I would just have to learn to stick it out.

I also found that the one cardio machine that I could do without hurting myself was a "recumbant bike" . Not the usual exercise bike, but the kind where you sit back like a recliner almost. This got my heart rate up, and worked my legs without the added pressure my weight placed on my back, hips, and knees.

I wish i could have lost the weight in the traditional way, but after years of struggle, no thyroid gland and numerous endocrine and metabolic studies it was determined that to be successful I needed weight loss surgery as I was losing the battle for my health.

Immediately after my weight loss surgery (before I ever left the hospital) I no longer had high blood sugar (Type 2 diabetes), high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or high triglycerides and have never taken another medication for any of these illnesses.

I pray that your journey will be successful as i know how hard it is to live a happy, fulfilled life at 325lbs.

God's blessings!:flowerforyou:
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i cut down on eating rice or dont eat at all for days, i manage to cut down almost 10 kgs in a month
    She needs a healthy life style. This is far from one.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Remember Anything you personally do is going to be burning tons of calories because it's like you are carrying around a 200lb back pack! So don't force yourself into injury because you think you have to do 1 hour of exercise. Start small...between a little exercise and a good eating plan...you should see huge results! I would even do things like... sit in a chair and do leg lifts and arm lifts. Walk until it starts to hurt and then stop. then sit and go back to the arm and leg lifts. Just get your heart pumping any way you can. lift small hand weights up and over your head. Stand and do movements without pounding the ground so its not hard on your knees and hips. just do small marching movements. When you start to lose weight... you will be able to do more because you will be relieving the pressure off your joints. And drink tons of water... you probably have a lot of fluid retention...that weighs several pound too. You can do it!!!!!!! So... Stick to your eating plan and non impact movements to get your heart pumping!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    She needs a healthy life style. This is far from one.

No Kidding! That's the worst advice i've ever heard on here! seriously!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I started at 337 a few years ago.... have a bad knee and ankles that have gotten better over time...but if you have trouble walking, I would look into a comfortable exercise bike, or an under th desk type seated elliptical. ( the ellipticals seem easier on the knees to me then steppers, even seated :)... also exercise bands, and possibly some seated yoga. :) ANYTHING to get your body moving! You can do it!!! :)
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi friend! Just know u can't start by doing a marathon. Just move any u can more than normal! Whether it be short 5 min walks spread out over the day. And as time goes on add a couple min to each walk as u get used to it. Any movement more than what u do now is going to benefit u! And maybe try some water activity to help w the pain u feel. Taking the pressure of the weight off in the pool could really help to move more! Good luck and know that u can do it! It will take time but if u dont give up it WILL get easier!

Awesome advice. I totally agree. Every movement you make helps move towards your goal of a healthier you :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sit exercises? Its a start. Or walk around the house like one lap around the house several times through out the day. marching in place for 5 minutes and doing 6 times through out the day. I use to weigh 300 pounds and now i'm down to 266 the last time I checked which was last week. There was alot of things I couldnt do because I ran out of breath or was in pain. Juse remember not to give up!

There are videos for sitting exercises. Check your local library for "Chair Dancing" or "Sit to Be Fit" DVDs ..... you can find video clips and reviews at collagevideo.com The video clips will give you some great ideas.

Re: walking - good shoes are very important. Check out Walk at Home for some "indoor walking." These are "walking DVDs" .... you can absolutely go at your own pace with these. Indoor is great when it's too hot outdoors. Here's a video clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related
  • carolinesmiles
    Options
    Start out slowly. Honestly, I threw around the excuse for a long time that I couldn't exercise yet because I was obese, but it's a complete lie. Your body is capable of so much more than your brain thinks it is. Start out walking, or swimming, or whatever feels manageable to you - the key is consistency. Get up to 3, 4, 5 workouts a week; and, slowly but surely, you'll notice your stamina increasing. For me, the biggest breakthroughs happen when I don't think I can do any more - I get a second wind and then I'm so proud that I could go just the *tiniest* bit faster or further. When you're just getting started, your brain is constantly going to tell you to back off and relax; but just know that your body can do more than you think it can. :) With that said, don't push yourself too hard straight away.

You can do it! You can! :D
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Lifting arm weights can help. Laying on the floor, doing recumbent bike exercises can help. Swimming is fabulous, but if you don't like swimming, and can't walk for long, you could try a Gazelle, be sure you get the one rated for your weight. I love my Gazelle. It's very gentle, about like walking, but it is no impact. Even if you can only last for 10 minutes, come back to it later in the day and do another 10. All those minutes add up. And it's ready for you in any weather, because it's indoors.

I would not recommend squatting or stairs until you have lost about 100 pounds. You could really hurt yourself, and if you get hurt and can't move at all, you will really be in trouble.

Why don't you ask your doctor to set you up with a physical therapist, trainer, and nutritionist? If your feet hurt in the arch, you will need to see a foot doctor ASAP to get arch supports. The ones you can get in the store don't work. When you get heavy, arch supports are a must to be able to support your arch and keep you moving. Otherwise your feet will hurt like holy hell.

Ruth
    Hi. I looking for friends who have a LOT of weight to lose and have a challenge with exercise. I'm currently 325 lbs and 50 years old. Even walking becomes painful after a few minutes. Ideas, personal stories and mutual understanding needed.
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi. I looking for friends who have a LOT of weight to lose and have a challenge with exercise. I'm currently 325 lbs and 50 years old. Even walking becomes painful after a few minutes. Ideas, personal stories and mutual understanding needed.

Hi,
    I haven't read any other posts so I'm sorry if this is repeated but I will tell you what I started out doing. I started out not even being able to walk for 5mins without my back KILLING ME and being so out of breath it was scary(I sounded like I was having an asthema attack)...I would walk out to my mailbox and to my front porch(about a grand total of 60-80ft round trip) when I could do that I started walking down to the lake(across the street from my house) when I could walk there easily I came right back..when I could walk my road I started walking at the walking track(it honestly took a good 2-3weeks). I would also get on my gazelle and I couldn't go longer than 5mins at first but I did 5 mins for about 3-4 days and then moved to 10mins and so on...After a month I walked in walmart and didn't even need a cart(I always had to get one and park by the carts so that I could make it in)..I am up to being able to walk 15mins or so at a time before I have to stretch my back. I have found now that I don't have to stop my workout I can stop and stretch a little to loosen my back and keep going I don't have to sit down anymore. I used to have to completely stop and sit down. It seems like a slow process and it's so frustrating because you WANT to do it but if you haven't been active or worked out in awhile your body needs time...I am down 24lbs but honestly I feel like I've finally been put in the game! I never thought losing 24lbs would change my life so much there is so many differences I already am finding in myself. I just need to work on endurance. Goodluck and if you want a friend to help keep you encouraged you can feel free to send me a friend request this is hard and frankly I'll take all the help I can get :)

Angel

Angel, you just said something so important here. I am having very similar feelings in that I have only lost 18 pounds but I can't believe what a huge difference already. One of the doctors at my work said something today that really put it into perspective though. Think of it as bags of sugar which are 5 pounds each and you can see why losing even 18 and 24 pounds is so huge. 24 pounds is like almost 5 bags of sugar. Imagine carrying 5 bags of sugar around with you all day. When she said that to me, I realized why I was already feeling so much better! I'm now thinking of every 5 pounds as one bag of sugar I've been able to put down. Good luck to you!

I haven't ever really thought about it like that but that is a good way to describe it! Your doing an awesome job 18lbs is big...You can feel the difference and so can I at 18 and 24lbs can you IMAGINE what we are going to feel like when we've lost 60 or 70lbs?? I think I'm gonna feel like I can do anything! I am so excited not so much by the fact of the number on the scale going down but excited about how much better I know I am going to feel! Good luck!
    Angel
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I do Aquafit. Like 9 hours a week. I gained a lot of weight the first month I joined MFP, but lordy I have so serious muscles now and have lost over 12 inches...and the weight is starting to melt off now that Im on the second month and I have been consistent. I am younger than you but heavier AND I need a double hip replacement and double knee replacement NOW, not when I get older, but because I am so heavy they will not operate. So in the pool is the life for me.

My usual night in the pool is 2.5 hours. This will include water walking, pull ups, push ups, swimming breast stroke, jogging in place, kicking on the side as fast as you can for 5 minutes (much harder than it sounds) and I do about 1200 crunches (3 types, 100 count each, four times throughout the night) I do not *****foot around. When I am in the water, I am working. I have water weights to work with and I have a noodle. Both acquired easily on ebay. During the workout there is not a combined resting time/drinking water of more than 1 minute total. Its like a boot camp in the water, but self driven.

If you need ideas of what to do, google aqua fit workout or water aerobics routine. My pool/leisure centre is awesome as they let me come in during the adult lane swim times and workout a small area of the shallow end. The deep end would be better, but life isn't perfect and we have to work with what we have.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • jennnnn2u
    jennnnn2u Posts: 133
    Options
    Jennnnnnn Here is a link to the site I got the DVD from. www.chairdancing.com The DVD's are reasonably priced at about $15.00 and they have multipacks that have all 3 types of DVD's for about $52.00. (Stretching, Strength and Aerobic) I'm really enjoying the Strength one I have!

Awesome! Thanks! I think I'm going to get these.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Wow. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I love swimming. And I could use a new pair of shoes! It's amazing to see that there are lots of folks who really do care. You've made my day :smile:

Oh bless you! This made my heart warm! :heart:

The fact that you've signed up to this site and are activley seeking help is wonderful hunni! Take all the advice given here and best of luck with your journey. Keep us updated xxx
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you all. I'm right there with you. I started slow and have been able to add. I watched some of the chair exercises on youtube and have done those some. I just searched exercises for obese peoople on youtube and found a lot of good stuff there

It is a tough road. It is hard to get started. It is embarassing. We just have to do it.

May you all be successful on yoru journey!!!
  • samlovesgreens
    samlovesgreens Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How did you get on?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I was about 370 lbs when I started losing weight. I started out by getting a secondhand Wii on Ebay and doing fitness games. I couldn't use the balance board at first because I was too heavy, but it's not necessary for all of the games. I moved from the Wii to workout DVDs after a while.