depression

Options

Replies

• shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have suffered from bouts of depression during my life. I was officially diagnosed about 5 years ago. I tried 4 different anti-depressents until I found one that worked. I was on it for about a year and then was weaned off and I haven't taken anything for 4 years. I was also in therapy for 2 years. I understand that you don't agree with medication or therapy, you're personal choice and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. I just want to share what worked for me outside of meds and therapy and my own personal views on it.

I do believe in "change your behavior and your attitude will follow". It took me a long time to actually be able to follow it. As much as I didn't feel like getting out of bed, working out, hanging with friends, doing something for myself I forced myself to do it. I forced myself to do things that I enjoyed when I wasn't depressed. I forced myself to have a more positive attitude about it. I took a while for my attitude to change, but it did. I realized how much I missed laughing, smiling and having fun and that's when I realized that I didn't want to feel depressed anymore. It wasn't an overnight change and I did hit quite a few roadblocks but I knew that I really was sick and tired of being unhappy.

I realized that when I was depressed that I threw a lot of pity parties for myself. I was feeling sorry for myself that I was getting divorced and feeling sorry for myself that I had gained weight and on and on. Any little thing I could get down on myself about I would. That just threw me in deeper and deeper. The only way I could get out of it was to stop. Why do this to myself? It just wasn't worth it anymore. I had to change my attitude.

I also found that I had been sad for so long that it was my comfort zone. Feeling happy or just at peace was a strange sensation for me and I wanted my comfort zone of being unhappy and down. It took a lot of will power to get through those time but I just kept thinking that I didn't want the unhappy to be my comfort zone anymore.

I also had to do a lot of self reflection and be very aware of what my triggers were. This is where therapy really helped me (I know you don't believe, this is just what helped me). I learned how to take a step back when I started feeling a certain way and take a look at what was going on that was triggering me.

There have been times over the past couple years when I have gone back to my therapist for a session or two. There have been some situations that those closest to me that I could normally talk to were too "on my side" to be able to give me an unbiased view and I felt myself starting to take the downhill turn. It helped get me back to me.

I hope you find what works for you. Good Luck!
  • lean4life2
    lean4life2 Posts: 49
    Options
    I always tell people that working out is my prozac! I have never taken any antidepressants,but I have had times in my life when I have been depressed.
    I have worked out for 25 years,I still struggle with my weight because food is my issue,but when I work out I feel 100% better,and when I combine that with eating healthy I feel AMAZING!
    I wish you all the best :smile:
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I realized that when I was depressed that I threw a lot of pity parties for myself. I was feeling sorry for myself that I was getting divorced and feeling sorry for myself that I had gained weight and on and on. Any little thing I could get down on myself about I would. That just threw me in deeper and deeper. The only way I could get out of it was to stop. Why do this to myself? It just wasn't worth it anymore. I had to change my attitude.
    I believe this is the sort of thing my doc was getting at with the "stop feeling sorry for yourself" thing. I realised I've been doing the exact same thing.

Been back to the docs for a review of how I'm getting on and saw a different doctor today as mine was off sick. He basically said to get out in the fresh air and natural light as much as possible and make sure to exercise as both things help a lot in his experience. Same thing many others are saying on here really.
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'll keep it very brief as you have an avalanche of great responses to reflect on.

Omega 3. This has been scientifically proven, both within labs and through X-ray study of brain's physical condition before and after omega 3 diet, as well as in the study of suicide rates of nations/cultures and the degree of omega 3 in their diets.

Diet. Aim for prognosis, not diagnosis by educating yourself. Prevention is better than cure.

Exercise. Exercise has shown to have the same effect as Prozac / anti depressants. It's free, it's natural and the knock-on other effects are golden.

People. Can be toxic. But so are medicines in the wrong doses.

Your place in the world. Keep looking till you find it... Sometimes it takes a lifetime to find or even recognise it.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have some interesting ideas on my profile page regarding depression, chronic pain etc. I wish you the best!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have some interesting ideas on my profile page regarding depression, chronic pain etc. I wish you the best!

thanks, I added you as a friend, hope that is ok!
  • AbbyLouiseCarr
    Options
    I'm a young teenager, younger than the game requires, but hey I want to lose weight whether I'm 8,18 or 80.
    Anyway, I was diagnosed with depression a month ago, it was a sudden shock to my family, I also am not on medication. What is really putting me down is the way I look, it's affected everything. I have few friends, which means I have little confidence and low self esteem issues. I'm about 3 stone overweight and todays society even being largely overweight is not a kind place to a girl like me. I know many people in my year that are depressed yet they do not listen to me, I often feel alone, even my own mother says I have no friends. But now, I'm starting a diet, one I am going to stick to, it's partly from the Paul McKenna tips, where you eat only when really hungry and stop when you are actually full. It's given me new motivation. I plan to do lots of exericse which I'm looking forward to :)

I wish you good luck!
  • foxyforce
    Options
    I want to thank everyone who genuinely cares about issues like this.

I got so many comments about me throwing myself pity parties, and really, I'm not. I wasn't constantly attacking, just correcting those that can't read a simple request. I don't feel sorry for myself. I even said in my original post that I feel underutilized...so I clearly know I have great skills. I mentioned my fiance, who I know thinks I am beautiful and loves me dearly. I am run down and haggard, but it doesn't mean you should feel sorry for me...as one response was "sadly this"...or..."I think it is sad that..." honestly, I was asking for tips that have helped people when they found themselves in a hole. And now to completely ignore you people because that is my first issue, that I pay way too much attention to arrogance. (and p.s. I am not a ***** and am always touted as being an amazingly patient person!)

Telling someone what to do, and the 'right' way to think when I already said it wasn't for me, when they are already down....well that is my first issue. Always being told that ****. I think I am a big girl and can make decisions for myself!

I got a lot of great comments in my inbox and I really appreciate it. I got a great book recommendation called The Depression Cure that I am already reading. I said in my original post that I am a party girl at heart so I am going to try to focus on my long lost happy go lucky self and hope that she returns someday. Thanks for all the other tips, even on getting tests run, I am going to renew my health card and check that out and try to get the right vitamin combo :flowerforyou:
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I suffer from severe anxiety/depression as well. I also do not care for medications. I have tried many of them, and they do NOT work for me. Kudos to those that can take them, it makes me a little jealous. I know many people with positive experiences with anti-depressants. Unfortunately, my experiences were not positive at all.

I have found many other things that do help to minimize episodes of severe depression. It is a lot of mind over matter. Every day is a new battle though. Good luck to you!
  • Sindari
    Sindari Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "thank you! but honestly, i am so well resourced in my field that i know of ALL the support groups and i know of so many people from different agencies from scheduling workshops, referrals, health fairs, and other types of partnerships. i don't feel my confidentiality would be valued at all if i was to seek a support group.

and fyi to all the people that say you need to just change your outlook. that is what i am trying to do. it REALLY isn't that simple.a nd also an FYI i don't believe in god, i will not turn to prayer or whatever. i am looking for support and advice from people that know that medication really isn't great for you (psychiatrists that sit on a board "creating" mental disorders, really aren't going to dictate what is and isn't good for my brain. the side effects are far worse than what i am going through now and i am not going to put that **** in my body. antibiotics ARE different, so the reference does not apply)"
    [/quote]

^ If this is how you are going to respond to everyone's suggestions, then you aren't ready to leave your depression behind. You can't possibly know ALL the things. You are arguing with most everyone. When you are ready to accept responsibility and really try to get out of your rut and not just look for sympathy and attention, THEN you can ask. Harsh, but real. There are drugs out there that just "help" you. If you are so all knowing in the field then you know this. Not all of them turn you into a zombie.

Depression sucks. It sucks the color out of your life, it makes people not want to be around you, and its damaging to not just you, but the people around you. Eat right, exercise, and MAKE yourself put one foot in front of the other. If you're still going to make excuses, then you're not ready to stop wallowing.
  • foxyforce
    Options

^ If this is how you are going to respond to everyone's suggestions, then you aren't ready to leave your depression behind. You can't possibly know ALL the things. You are arguing with most everyone. When you are ready to accept responsibility and really try to get out of your rut and not just look for sympathy and attention, THEN you can ask. Harsh, but real. There are drugs out there that just "help" you. If you are so all knowing in the field then you know this. Not all of them turn you into a zombie.

Depression sucks. It sucks the color out of your life, it makes people not want to be around you, and its damaging to not just you, but the people around you. Eat right, exercise, and MAKE yourself put one foot in front of the other. If you're still going to make excuses, then you're not ready to stop wallowing.

learn to read.
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    Mentally, I'm not the strongest person. I've learned by staying active, it's easier to fight the depression. I understand when at the deepest ends of depression it is so hard to even have the energy to do daily chores at home, but be STRONG! It's all you've got!Take one day at a time. Feed your mind, body & soul with positivity.

I wish nothing but the best for you, dear stranger.

:flowerforyou: :heart: "Hope for the best, & make peace with the rest" -Noah benShea

18816219.png
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Mentally, I'm not the strongest person. I've learned by staying active, it's easier to fight the depression. I understand when at the deepest ends of depression it is so hard to even have the energy to do daily chores at home, but be STRONG! It's all you've got!Take one day at a time. Feed your mind, body & soul with positivity.

I wish nothing but the best for you, dear stranger.

:flowerforyou: :heart: "Hope for the best, & make peace with the rest" -Noah benShea

18816219.png

this. i even made myself a schedule for cleaning last week lol. so i am trying. each day i pick a room. i have followed through most days, but it doesn't always work out.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I feel totally comfortable posting this on here because I don't really have anyone to talk to outside of here.

I suffer from some pretty severe depression. I do not take medication, simply because I don't believe in it. Yesterday I was awake for about 5 hours of the whole day, and did nothing. I recently quit a really ****ty job with the worst micromanager. I have amazing skills and constantly feel underutilized. (p.s. I still work part time at two different jobs, but it is on call and the time between shifts is unbearable). I am engaged to a wonderful man. I have no friends, and it is not like I don't try. I just find people to be totally selfish and I hate putting in so much effort for people that can only talk about themselves, are sexist, racist, and overall to me boring. Although, I still put in effort because I hate being alone and I am a party girl at heart.

All of this impacts my health. I don't know why I get up in the morning so I don't even know why I exercise or eat healthy. I try, I really do.

Does anyone else have an issue like this? I am looking for tips at dealing with this and seeing a doctor is not an option (or a counsellor, I work in the mental health field and know way too many people at almost every agency in the surrounding area).

Thanks for reading, if you did!

First of all, good on you for not choosing medication. There isn't any evidence that medication helps, and some evidence it makes things worse.

I don't care how many people at how many agencies at how many levels you know. You do not know everyone in the mental health field in your area. Ask someone you do know to recommend someone you don't know. You absolutely do need counseling. Did you read what you wrote? "I have no friends, and it is not like I don't try. I just find people to be totally selfish and I hate putting in so much effort for people that can only talk about themselves, are sexist, racist, and overall to me boring." Seriously. EVERYONE you meet is sexist, racist, and/or boring?

Depression is usually self-limiting, but it can help it lift sooner if you get up and do things rather than lie around waiting. There is some evidence that exercise helps depression, but doing almost anything helps depression. Make plans to do something every day. Take a library book to the park. Go for a long walk on a scenic route. Ride a bicycle. DO anything!
  • FitLink
    Options
    I feel totally comfortable posting this on here because I don't really have anyone to talk to outside of here.

I suffer from some pretty severe depression. I do not take medication, simply because I don't believe in it. Yesterday I was awake for about 5 hours of the whole day, and did nothing. I recently quit a really ****ty job with the worst micromanager. I have amazing skills and constantly feel underutilized. (p.s. I still work part time at two different jobs, but it is on call and the time between shifts is unbearable). I am engaged to a wonderful man. I have no friends, and it is not like I don't try. I just find people to be totally selfish and I hate putting in so much effort for people that can only talk about themselves, are sexist, racist, and overall to me boring. Although, I still put in effort because I hate being alone and I am a party girl at heart.

All of this impacts my health. I don't know why I get up in the morning so I don't even know why I exercise or eat healthy. I try, I really do.

Does anyone else have an issue like this? I am looking for tips at dealing with this and seeing a doctor is not an option (or a counsellor, I work in the mental health field and know way too many people at almost every agency in the surrounding area).

I don't mean to sound cruel but maybe since you "don't believe in" medcation you haven't hit your lowest. I encourage you seek treatment before you do.
    I wouldn't wish those dark days and hopeless nights on anyone.

i know far more about medication than someone who just takes it....i work in the mental health field and see people turned to zombies, taking tonnes of pills from 16-60. thanks for your opinion, but it is SO far off base.

I don't work in the mental health field, but being in my brain is work because of my mental health. I have decided to stop taking my antidepressants because it seems they make it worse. I agree with you, OP, meds may work for some, but for some of us they're bad news. People who like them, yay for you. But I'm afraid my friends who get my midnight texts would agree that they just don't work well for some of us. I just stopped taking my 8th one. They have all effected me negativel.

The OP is correct to avoid medication. There is no evidence it works. Depression, without medication, is usually self-limiting. With medication people are often treated for the rest of their lives. She is, however, resisting any and all suggestions.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options

You work in the mental health field but don't believe in medication? I think that you are making this whole thing alot harder on yourself without meds. Some people have chemical imbalances of the brain that require medication. I wish you would rethink your position on that. It's like saying you know you are diabetic but you hate shots so you won't take them.

Exercise helps with depression alot. And I believe that a persons diet affects their well being also. Best of luck to you!!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Take a look at True Hope online. I read the book regarding this and it is INCREDIBLE.
  • foxyforce
    Options

I don't mean to sound cruel but maybe since you "don't believe in" medcation you haven't hit your lowest. I encourage you seek treatment before you do.

i know far more about medication than someone who just takes it....i work in the mental health field and see people turned to zombies, taking tonnes of pills from 16-60. thanks for your opinion, but it is SO far off base.

I don't work in the mental health field, but being in my brain is work because of my mental health. I have decided to stop taking my antidepressants because it seems they make it worse. I agree with you, OP, meds may work for some, but for some of us they're bad news. People who like them, yay for you. But I'm afraid my friends who get my midnight texts would agree that they just don't work well for some of us. I just stopped taking my 8th one. They have all effected me negativel.

The OP is correct to avoid medication. There is no evidence it works. Depression, without medication, is usually self-limiting. With medication people are often treated for the rest of their lives. She is, however, resisting any and all suggestions.

how can you even say that i am resisting all suggestions

some of you people SERIOUSLY can't read for your life, or are just so quick to jump to conclusions about others

i took MANY suggestions, i even downloaded a ****ing a book to start reading and am looking into a new vitamin plan.

****ing demonizing someone already deep in a hole. don't be so quick to judge people. i am not being resistant, i said from the ****ing getgo: no meds, no professional help. this was a request for self-help options. the ones i got I THANKED FOR.

don't be so quick to shove your beliefs down others throats...this is NOT just directed at you.

AND YES, i do know pretty much all organizations, asking for a referral isn't bad...if i want to pay up the *kitten* which I can't afford. not for profits are slim to none, and i am heavily networked because i am good at what i do THUS THE REQUEST FOR SELF-HELP.

thank you to those that actually can read. when someone asks for vegetarian recipes, don't give them tips on bbq'ing!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I suffered from depression from 16 to 27. Never took med's or anything I don't like taking pills that can alter how I think and view life itself. I ended up exercising on average 300-500 minutes a week and have a "better then everyone" attitude and I turned a total 180 and lost some weight in the process.

Long walks is a good answer.
  • FitLink
    Options

how can you even say that i am resisting all suggestions

some of you people SERIOUSLY can't read for your life, or are just so quick to jump to conclusions about others

i took MANY suggestions, i even downloaded a ****ing a book to start reading and am looking into a new vitamin plan.

****ing demonizing someone already deep in a hole. don't be so quick to judge people. i am not being resistant, i said from the ****ing getgo: no meds, no professional help. this was a request for self-help options. the ones i got I THANKED FOR.

don't be so quick to shove your beliefs down others throats...this is NOT just directed at you.

AND YES, i do know pretty much all organizations, asking for a referral isn't bad...if i want to pay up the *kitten* which I can't afford. not for profits are slim to none, and i am heavily networked because i am good at what i do THUS THE REQUEST FOR SELF-HELP.

holy hell.

Community mental health centers provide services on an "afford to pay" basis. If you can't afford to pay, you don't pay. Whether you realize it or not, you need professional help. Reread your original post. You have no friends because everyone you meet is sexist, racist, and/or boring. You have "amazing skills" but are "constantly underutilized." I offered you some self-help suggestions, but I strongly believe you need professional help.

(This is because I believe your depression is secondary to a personality disorder, BTW, but I obviously don't know enough to be sure. A professional could assess that, and help you feel better.)
This discussion has been closed.