Asking for money instead of gifts

Options

Replies

• Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest one of the reasong to have a party and put money into a wedding is the return you get from it, which is gifts.

I can honestly say I did not have a wedding because of the "return I would get from it" (how crass) - unless, of course you mean that I got the benefit of celebrating with my family and friends as I married the best man I've ever known. I had a wedding reception so that I could share that moment with all the people that mattered. I did get gifts, and I did get money - but I asked for nothing. I registered for nothing. And had I received nothing, I would still remember the day with nothing but joy and happiness.

If you have everything you need in life, there is no need to ask for more.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Probably shouldn't show my son this, he would hand them out for birthdays and Christmas.
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I hate giving money or gift cards, its impersonal, i like to give something and if they show it off or use it frequently they can say
    "(insert name here ) gave me that on my wedding day"

also when people give me money to buy my own "gift" i usually buy drugs or mcdonalds with it.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it. I will add though that wedding etiquette varies around the country.

I find it to be a waste of time and money to give someone a gift just to give a gift in a box compared to a card with a check. Chances are the money being asked for from a wedding is going into a house fund or for a vacation. More power to them for asking for what they want instead of getting that random gift that will collect dust in the basement.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Probably shouldn't show my son this, he would hand them out for birthdays and Christmas.

Ha ha! You must have a teenager. :laugh:
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I love people who are happy with money, I know it will be used. Can't tell you how many times I bought a gift card and found out it was lost or never used. :grumble: I usually always give a monetary gift, unless I know that person well enough to get the perfect gift. My best friend never gets money, but rather a very heartfelt, usually engraved meaningful gift. If I know the person I give the gift of money to really well, I enclose a note saying, you can return this if you find it is the wrong size or color, I add a winky face. Graduates seem to really enjoy that. :laugh:

So I don't see an issue. If I'm giving a gift I would rather it be something they really want, money ensures this.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If the couple needs money, I would rather them to tell me they need it.

If they need a gift, I would rather them tell me they need that.

this!
  • TMcBooty
    Options
    I think it's really really rude to ask for money. I always give money as a wedding present (around €200) but seeing something like that would make me go and buy them a present just because they pissed me off. I'd think twice about even GOING to the wedding.

Where I live (Ireland), no one 'registers' or has 'showers'. Most people give money, but to ask is just so rude. It's putting people under more pressure when they already have to pay for accomadation, outfits, travel, babysitters etc.... Some people would prefer to buy a present that cost maybe €50 but if they're giving cash they'd have to give more so as not to look mean.

Awful.

Rude? Hummm? If you feel that strongly about asking for money, that is when you send you regrets as not attending. Don't get pissed off. There is etiquette is everything. Everyone is entilte to their feelings and opinions about any situation. I really dont think that when asking for monetary gifts is being rude. Now the rude things is if you give a gift and its goes to the trash or a yard sale. How many of us get gifts at Christmas that we can or will not really use. Yesterday I attended a baby shower, I gave a gift card so the expectant mother can get diapers, milk, or anything in the house she may needed. I hate for money to be wasted, so this way she can get what she need for herself or the baby. Babies grow so fast, how many clothes do they need? :laugh:

Which is why I usually give clothes for a toddler at baby showers. In fact, the new parents will need those too. I don't have to give money for diapers. I can give diapers. Especially at a shower, a gift card really just misses the point.

clothes for a toddler, is a good idea except how would you really know what size they would be in and which season it would be? also, babies can be allergic to a certain brand of diapers or they may leak or not work out for another reason.. gift cards are practical and VERY helpful when you are a new mom. Not in an way rude imo.
  • TMcBooty
    Options
    as far as the topic in question. I dont think its rude. who wants a ton of stuff they will not get use out of? hoping there is a gift slip so they can return it. oh the fun that is running to 10 different stores and getting a store credit. money and gift cards are much easier for all parties involved. I had a wishing well, most people gave money though we didnt ask for it. We never registered anywhere. Out of 200 guests I think we got 5 gifts, the rest were cards. And we were very appreciative of it.
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    I have seen plenty of invites that asked for a monatary gift rather than a gift. Usually happens when the bride and groom have all the furniture and household items needed, and don't need anything else. Also have seen it, when the couple are moving after the wedding.
    Its less stuff to pack and the extra money helps with the cost of moving.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Friend is getting married this month and already lives with her soon to be husband, so they have everything they need.
    People don't always feel comfortable writing checks, although half your guest will just give you money, it is rude to ask for it.

HERE IS WHAT I DID!

There is a website called HONEYMOONWISHES.COM You put in where you honeymoon is and it gives you things you can register for, like a nice dinner for two, or Kayaking, or a couples massage....
    Here is the trick..

The website doesn't pay for these gifts! They just direct deposit the money into your account (or send a check if you prefer).

Its a little sneaky but hey at least your guest wont feel awkward and will think they will be giving you a wonderful honeymoon gift.
    Feel free to use the money to actually Do some of those activities but It was April when I got married so it was a little too cold for Kayaking!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Friend is getting married this month and already lives with her soon to be husband, so they have everything they need. Here is what I told her when she said she is just asking for money....its tacky!
    People don't always feel comfortable writing checks, although half your guest will just give you money, it is rude to ask for it.

HERE IS WHAT I DID!

There is a website called HONEYMOONWISHES.COM You put in where you honeymoon is and it gives you things you can register for, like a nice dinner for two, or Kayaking, or a couples massage....
    Here is the trick..

The website doesn't pay for these gifts! They just direct deposit the money into your account (or send a check if you prefer).

Its a little sneaky but hey at least your guest wont feel awkward and will think they will be giving you a wonderful honeymoon gift.
    Feel free to use the money to actually Do some of those activities but It was April when I got married so it was a little too cold for Kayaking!

Just remember when you send Thank you cards to put what they bought you!
    You find asking for money tacky, but not this "sponsor a piece of our honeymoon" idea?

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I personally saw someone do this a while back and thought it was really strange and more tacky than just asking for cash..
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Friend is getting married this month and already lives with her soon to be husband, so they have everything they need. Here is what I told her when she said she is just asking for money....its tacky!

HERE IS WHAT I DID!

Here is the trick..

Except a) I don't think it's polite to trick your guests into thinking they are buying you a wonderful honeymoon experience that you don't actually want/use (same goes for the people who think they are "clever" when they register for stuff they don't want and return all their items for cash), and b) the website takes a cut. If I'm essentially giving cash, I want the couple to get all of it. As for remembering what they "bought" you - did you send a thank you saying, "Kayaking was GREAT! Thanks so much!" even though you didn't go? Seems to me it's more honest to get cash (which is what most people give when you don't register - no need to ask for it) and then say, "Thanks so much for your generous gift - we used it for (some fun excursion) on our honeymoon! Thanks for allowing us the opportunity."
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

HERE IS WHAT I DID!

Here is the trick..

You find asking for money tacky, but not this "sponsor a piece of our honeymoon" idea?

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I personally saw someone do this a while back and thought it was really strange and more tacky than just asking for cash..

lol seriously. its rude to ask for cash but its not rude to trick your friends into giving you cash?
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I place that in the same category as honeymoon registries. "Hey, please pay for us to take a badass vacation so we don't have to pay for it".

That's just my opinion, it's in poor taste. I know people do both (ask for cash and have honeymoon registries) but I don't agree with either.

ETA: spelling fail.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    We had a gift registry and then put a box in the back and people put thank you cards, well wishing cards, and checks in to it, I mean it was really just for cards but a lot of people put money in it.
    The thing that frustrated me was that we don't have much, especially in the way of things we NEED so I actually did do a registry and got maybe 2 things off it so now I still need to buy a ton of stuff. if I had known no one would use the flipping registry I probably would have just asked for money too. (I mean really I own 1 skillet and 1 pot. and people were buying us electronics.)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my cousins wedding in a couple of weeks, and got a card with the exact same message on!

I don't have a problem with it myself, I'd rather get a gift, but then again they lived together before marriage and I wouldn't know what to get them anyway! I'm sure the money will help with something, plus they're more likely to get something they actually want or need :)
  • andivaclavicek
    Options
    I've seen it. Don't see the problem - much easier than hunting down a registry and trying to decide what to get.
    you'd be parting with the cash anyway.

^This
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with it :)
    I am planning on tell the family , no gifts for xmas, they can give me the cash .. but we are looking to move in a couple years and the money can go into saving for a down payment
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This is very common in some cultures, including my mom's. People generally don't give gifts, they give cash (no less than $50).