'thigh gap'?

Options
delikium
delikium Posts: 196 Member
'Thigh gap' seem to be the thing to have. Hardly fair as not all woman have the hips to achieve it.
But I don't really get it...who do you do this for? Do men like 'thigh gap' on a girl?
Same with size zero....do men like size 0 women?
I mean... is there anyone that really believes you get a higher status from those shapes even if they don't necessarily mean you're healthy?
What do you guys and girls think of this?

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on my list who has started a group within her list of girls who want to acchieve the "thigh gap." I think she fails to realize not everyone can have a thigh gap.

My opinion? I like smaller girls, whether in shape or not, I don't like larger girls. BUT I will find girls at whatever size gorgeous as long as there is confidence. Please note, my finding them gorgeous =/= me finding them attractive. There are many layers to beauty.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    the obsession of this small about of negative space is kind of facinating.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. Some like size 0, others don't. As for a thigh gap, I would love one but I don't think I have the hips needed to achieve one. :(
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Thigh gaps are cool if you can rock one because of your wide hips. They're not cool if you have one because you're legs are too damned bony.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a skinny bashing thing but......
    Anyway, I have a thigh gap I'm trying to get rid of, anyone want it?? Size 0 is overrated. Its just a number. I'm a 0 in some clothes others I'm a 6. It really means nothing to me unless I start fitting in all 0's consistently, then I up my calories. I'm trying to gain weight.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thigh gaps are cool if you can rock one because of your wide hips. They're not cool if you have one because you're legs are too damned bony.

Yeah that's me. LOL.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I have a thigh gap I'm trying to get rid of, anyone want it?? Size 0 is overrated. Its just a number. I'm a 0 in some clothes others I'm a 6. It really means nothing to me unless I start fitting in all 0's consistently, then I up my calories. I'm trying to gain weight.

I'm absolutrly not saying that thight gaps or size 0 are UNattractive. I see it on some girls and they do look absolutely beautifull.
    I'ts more of the status thing I don't get.
    I could be really miserable trying to achieve them, without anyone telling me I need to.
    Would I feel better about myself once having them?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's like saying, "Do women love a guy who wears size 30 jeans?" I've never gone around checking the tag on a guy to see what size jeans he wore, and I doubt guys care or do the same about women. Does she look good? Do her clothes fit? Will she let you see her OUT of those clothes? That's the kind of things guys care about.

I think it's the sort of thing women care about much more than men.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Before I read about it on these forums I never knew it existed , so I'm not really bothered at all.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The only good a thigh gap does is enable people sitting directly in front of you to see the view behind you when you stand up.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Size zero is sooooo overrated. Especially since "vanity" sizing is all the rage. Also, pear shape, apple shape .... it's possible to look "fat" in a size zero ....

Thigh gap? .... thunder thighs is more like it :cry:
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    A thigh gap huh...in my day it was just called spreading your legs ;)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people obsess over this. As a man I've heard other men say "Look at the (hair, eyes, smile, stomach, hips, back, breast, butt, legs, and even feet) on that woman". I've never heard expressions of a woman's attractiveness based on if her thighs touch. Trust me. A thigh gap ranks right up there with discussions on if Jacob or Edward in Twilight is better for Bella. No man I know of gives a rats *** about the topic. If you ranked a woman on a scale from 1 - 10 this wouldn't even add half a point to her score.

Don't get me wrong. If that's your goal then knock yourself out and go for it but I hope you're doing this as a personal goal. Don't strive for this a some measure of being more attractive. Doubt many guys would ever even notice.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I was just excited when they lifted the ban on me entering national forests in corduroy during the dry season....never thought about trying to obtain a gap just didn't want them to rub....
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My mother tells of her Personal Hygiene class in school. The teacher told all of the girls that you know you're the right weight when you can fit your fist between your thighs.

Ah, gotta love 1950s classes, right?
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Before joining this site I hated my thigh gap because the tops of my inner thighs have a bit of a bulge. There is still a gap between the bulges because of the way I'm built (been called bow-legged and duck-footed) but I always WISHED my thighs touched so you couldn't see this unsightly bulge!

On first observing the thigh-gap-craze here on MFP, I thought....well, yeah...I get it. But only if your inner thighs are a nice strait line!!! Be careful what you wish for ladies!

Having said that...I'm learning to love my natural shape, appreciate my imperfections, stop obsessing over details, and feel empowered by the thought that my bulging size 0 legs can kick some serious *kitten*.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My mother tells of her Personal Hygiene class in school. The teacher told all of the girls that you know you're the right weight when you can fit your fist between your thighs.

I've had a fist between my thighs before...I mean...what?
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

I've had a fist between my thighs before...I mean...what?

Damn...
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    I personally don't have the legs for a "thigh gap". I have quite muscular legs and when I was in my early teens I was desperate for one because I thought girls who have them are skinny and the ones who don't must be fat. Everyone is built differently. As long as I have toned legs I don't care if there is a gap or not. Also, I think all men like different things. My boyfriend does not find stick thin girls attractive when other guys clearly do. Just learn to love your shape and you will do fine :)
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I can't believe anybody would do anything "because men like it on a girl." The idea of that is completely sickening to me.