'thigh gap'?

Options

Replies

• drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Why do people like them/desire one?

I don't ask that in a judgemental way. I'm just interested to know why some people find them appealing.

To me this sounds like the female version of having a six pack. Kind of a visual representation of your fitness maybe?
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

I don't ask that in a judgemental way. I'm just interested to know why some people find them appealing.

To me this sounds like the female version of having a six pack. Kind of a visual representation of your fitness maybe?

Perhaps so, but I always thought that having a thigh gap meant you had a lack of muscle definition around the inner thigh area. I could be wrong?
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    From a guy's perspective I'd just like to say the easiest way to get a thigh gap is to spread your legs a little ;) Just sayin'.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Let's not oversell my intelligence. "Spread your legs a little" is pretty much my standard advice for most things.

you're a genius!
  • drchimpanzee
    Options

Perhaps so, but I always thought that having a thigh gap meant you had a lack of muscle definition around the inner thigh area. I could be wrong?

Not sure. Never researched it. Generally don't women want to be skinny though? You never hear most of them say they want to be muscular (Yes I know women lift. I just mean in general).
  • drchimpanzee
    Options
    I kind of like'em thick. I'm going to start a thigh clap thread. Gimme some of that!!
  • peachfigs
    Options

Not sure. Never researched it. Generally don't women want to be skinny though? You never hear most of them say they want to be muscular (Yes I know women lift. I just mean in general).

I wouldn't say so, but I think it depends what your definition of skinny is. I think lots of women would like to be fitter or in better shape, or lose a few lbs, but "skinny" has a different connotation. For me, I associate the word "skinny" with having a very low BF% and no visible muscle. I'd say that look is more popular amongst teenagers - younger women. BUT, I'm no expert.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I was just excited when they lifted the ban on me entering national forests in corduroy during the dry season....never thought about trying to obtain a gap just didn't want them to rub....

HA!! I had a friend tell me there was no sense in me buying corduroy since my thighs didn't rub together I wouldn't be able to make the noise that corduroy is supposed to make! lol
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSrenqQOZhtNXUnr4hwLti663XO92MnfjhsLNI-3iC3k33eutjUg
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    personally i think thigh gaps are disgusting. even on someone who is perfectly proportioned they scream underfed to me. i prefer a muscular look. give me a bulky sprinter over a distance runner any day.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I just guffawed at the thought of my thighs ever not touching...

Seriously though. Even when I was at my lowest weight in high school, my *kitten* (yes, it's so big it's a proper noun) wouldn't fit in the pants that would fit my thighs properly, and my thighs were too big to fit in pants that would fit my calves properly. I have stupid thin calves compared to my thighs/*kitten*. -sigh-

My thing is getting back to the point where you can see my dimples of Venus, because right now they blend in with the dimples I have everywhere else :laugh:
  • peachfigs
    Options
    I kind of like'em thick. I'm going to start a thigh clap thread. Gimme some of that!!

YES. :drinker:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

I just laughed way too much at this.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I want a thigh gap for a very practical reason. I'm tired of having to throw out my favorite jeans because the thighs have worn out. The material gets thinner and thinner until it rips and there's a gaping hole. Very frustrating. So if I can keep my jeans until I ruin them in some other way, I'll be happy. I have wide hips so it's entirely possible.
    And my husband thinks it's hot.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I too never realized there was a fascination with a thigh gap until I joined this site. I'm what they call "skinny fat" and have always had a gap but now that I'm paying attention to my health and fitness and started lifting that gap is definitely closing! I asked my boyfriend if he noticed and he said no but that my butt is looking fabulous. hahaha to each their own I guess
  • peachfigs
    Options
    I too never realized there was a fascination with a thigh gap until I joined this site. I'm what they call "skinny fat" and have always had a gap but now that I'm paying attention to my health and fitness and started lifting that gap is definitely closing! I asked my boyfriend if he noticed and he said no but that my butt is looking fabulous. hahaha to each their own I guess

Yay for fabulous butts! :flowerforyou:
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options

I think a lot of women would prefer to have a six-pack.

Of course, this is a "thigh gap" thread, which is as irresistible to look at as a train wreck.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

Nah, it doesn't have anything to do with fitness - if you have muscular thighs you won't have a gap. And many people are genetically predisposed to either have/not have one. I have narrow hips so I never will - even when I had chicken legs in my younger days my thighs touched. I didn't even now there was this fascination with thigh gap till I read somet stuff on this site - I like some thikness myself, not a fan of the gap look.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Thigh gaps are cool if you can rock one because of your wide hips. They're not cool if you have one because you're legs are too damned bony.

FTW! If you can get it, own it. If not, don't lose any sleep over it.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A thigh gap huh...in my day it was just called spreading your legs ;)

RAWR
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    From a guy's perspective I'd just like to say the easiest way to get a thigh gap is to spread your legs a little ;) Just sayin'.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Let's not oversell my intelligence. "Spread your legs a little" is pretty much my standard advice for most things.

I like you!