8 Myths about Self-Defense Training

Options
Self-Defense is NOT about toe-to-toe “Chuck-Norris-Walker-Texas-Ranger” karate fighting.
Self-Defense is the utilization of fundamental, easily learned verbal and physical techniques, employed to effectively dissuade an attacker and leverage a 5-second window of escape.

“Tae Bo,” “Cardio-Kickboxing” and “Aerobics” are NOT forms of Self-Defense training, and believing that they are is an excellent way to get killed.
Aerobics classes and videos are great ways to get into shape and look good in a bathing suit. However, they are fundamentally worthless when it comes to fending off a sexual assault or abating a life-threatening confrontation. The only way to learn to Self-Defense, is to study combative techniques from a qualified instructor, and repeat those techniques until they become second nature (more specifically “muscle memory”).

Self-Defense is NOT about “karate chops and groin kicks.”
True Self-Defense encompasses the development of a personalized system of self-protection that incorporates proactive planning, situational awareness, verbal skills and reflex-based muscle memory development that deter attackers and discourage criminal assaults.

Self-Defense is NOT about which martial art style is the “bad-assiest.”
Self-Defense is specific and paramount training designed to develop skills and muscle memory around approximately 10 to 20 core, easily-to-learn techniques that can be employed to establish a 5 second “window” of lead-time on an attacker, so you may escape danger and avoid being victimized.

Self-Defense is NOT about being an 'action hero' on a mission to save your hometown from renegade evildoers and zombies.
The purpose of Self-Defense training to protect yourself from unlawful attacks, assaults, rape and physical confrontation.

“Magic Touches,” “Secret Moves,” “Killer Chi” & “Vulcan Never Pinches” are myths, and completely f*cking asinine.
Despite what is portrayed in the media, real-life fighting is raw, chaotic and in most cases, absolutely terrifying (even for those with years of training and experience). The core fundamentals of practical Self-Defense are verbal deterrents and physical techniques used to thwart attacks by targeting vulnerable areas of your attacker's anatomy. Not "whoopin' *kitten*."

“If I'm ever attacked, I'll just shoot them.”
This sentiment absolutely infuriates me, as it is dramatically naive and potentially catastrophic.

Utilizing any type of weapon during a confrontation is extremely difficult and dangerous. “Shooting” someone is much easier to say, than it is to do. Once the shot is fired, your actions, methods and decisions will be judged not by you; rather they will be judged by homicide detectives, district attorneys and juries who will likely not see the circumstances in the same “light” that you do.

If you doubt me on this point, ask George Zimmerman how he personally feels about the inane idea that one should “just shoot your attacker. It's your word against a dead man's.”

The biggest issue with this dumbass myth is that weapons do not have a conscious nor any sense of reason. “Fight or flight” will force you to be nervous and flood your body with adrenaline, causing you to make mistakes. Those mistakes can you ruin your life, and/or the innocent lives of others.

Thinking you don't need Self-Defense training because you own a gun, is like saying that you don't need butter knives, because you own a chainsaw.

“What are the odds I'll ever really need Self-Defense training?”
1 out of 3, according to the US Justice Department's reports on criminal assaults on US citizens. Another shocking statistic that of the women attacked, 80% of them will know their attacker, personally.

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Very good! My brother in law teaches self defense and I took a class from him last month. He lives 900 miles away, otherwise he would be my personal trainer. I learned how to push and kick, and part of that means I learned that if you connect with the top of your foot instead of your shin you get a big bruise!

Do you teach self defense?
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Very good! My brother in law teaches self defense and I took a class from him last month. He lives 900 miles away, otherwise he would be my personal trainer. I learned how to push and kick, and part of that means I learned that if you connect with the top of your foot instead of your shin you get a big bruise!

I am:
    - A 24-year practicing martial artist' with Blackbelts or BBE's in Tae Kwon, Judo, Jiu Jitsu & Krav Maga
    - A certified combatives and firearms instructor for the Department of Defense, Law Enforcement and Private Security Firms
    - A certified Rape Aggression Defense instructor
    - An attorney
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It surprises me how unaware most people are when it comes to dangers all around.
    It does not mean we need to go around paranoid. Just be aware.
    AND ALWAYS READY!
  • gchutson
    Options
    It surprises me how unaware most people are when it comes to dangers all around.
    AND ALWAYS READY!

90% of true Self-Defense is making good decisions and not putting yourself in a position to NEED Self-Defense.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm taking self-defense next semester at my University. At first it was going to be a "for fun class", but after I thought about it more, it will be good for a female my age to learn things like this, especially when I walk alone so often at night!
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post this, gc.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I've been attacked with weapons and without and it's always scary. even with training it never goes as planned. I've been shot and stabbed, my training kept me alive but you can never be fully prepared for an attack. but being totally unprepared... well that would be worse.
  • bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this info. My kickboxing teacher (karate) also teaches the COBRA self defense system, he incorporates some things into the regular class, but always says the goal is to get away, not deliver an *kitten* kicking.
  • gchutson
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this info. My kickboxing teacher (karate) also teaches the COBRA self defense system, he incorporates some things into the regular class, but always says the goal is to get away, not deliver an *kitten* kicking.

That is the hardest thing to get most men to realize. Men often want to "whoop *kitten*." In my classes I not only teach the techniques, I also teach the legalities of when "self-defense crosses the line to assault."
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Self defense is a tool in self reliance. Basic skills for survival that echo The mind set of never give up, The spirit that has been forged to never be broken. The body might get broken but they will never take your spirt.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Great information for everyone. Thanks for sharing. Every martial arts instructor I've ever studied with (mostly Kung Fu and T'ai Ch'i) says the same things. Sad that my gym's Les Mills Body Combat instructors don't, though. I'll have to remind them.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I am:
    - A 24-year practicing martial artist' with Blackbelts or BBE's in Tae Kwon, Judo, Jiu Jitsu & Krav Maga
    - A certified combatives and firearms instructor for the Department of Defense, Law Enforcement and Private Security Firms
    - An attorney

But did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

I took some Tae Kwon Do when I was around 10 years old. My parents wanted to instill some discipline in me and I'd like to think that, between the training and the "if you can't get your **** together, you won't be allowed to play baseball" threats, it worked (at least a little bit). I do remember that the biggest thing the instructor stressed was that reaction 1 should always be to "get away" and question 1 should always be "what's my easiest escape?"

And if that doesn't work, SWEEP THE LEG THEN JUMP INTO SOME CRANE STANCE!
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am:
    - An attorney

I've been taking Krav Maga for about a year now - my favourite sentiment from the instructor was that the purpose of Krav Maga is to disable your attacker just enough that you can GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE. As a woman living alone in the city, those are the kinds of skills I'm looking for.

Also, I'm a law student, so I'm having a bit of a fangirl moment over you. :D
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options

I am:
    - An attorney

But did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

I took some Tae Kwon Do when I was around 10 years old. My parents wanted to instill some discipline in me and I'd like to think that, between the training and the "if you can't get your **** together, you won't be allowed to play baseball" threats, it worked (at least a little bit). I do remember that the biggest thing the instructor stressed was that reaction 1 should always be to "get away" and question 1 should always be "what's my easiest escape?"

And if that doesn't work, SWEEP THE LEG THEN JUMP INTO SOME CRANE STANCE!

It worked for Daniel-son !
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    AND ALWAYS READY!

90% of true Self-Defense is making good decisions and not putting yourself in a position to NEED Self-Defense.

This is my theory - I'm cautious about where and when I go, and I'm lucky to live in a safe city. Luckily I've never needed it.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I am:
    - An attorney

I've been taking Krav Maga for about a year now - my favourite sentiment from the instructor was that the purpose of Krav Maga is to disable your attacker just enough that you can GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE. As a woman living alone in the city, those are the kinds of skills I'm looking for.

Dang, there's a lot of krav maga people on here. :) My teacher taught us that there are five basic rules. The first is to not allow yourself to get hit. The second is to always maintain a safe distance. Note that neither of those involve "*kitten*-kicking."

I'm sad that more women don't train in self-defense, especially since we're the ones who need it the most. And I'm even sadder that, at least in the US, you get called an anti-feminist if you encourage young women not to put themselves in harm's way. :/
  • gchutson
    Options
    I am:
    - An attorney

Oh no... why would anyone ever want to be a lawyer. There's still time to change your mind. ;)

Krav Maga is by far the most extensive Self-Defense methodology, in my opinion. Mostly because it borrows techniques from other great styles (Jiu Jitsu, Karate, etc), and boils them down into rudimentary, easy-to-learn functions... that are extremely effective.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I am:
    - An attorney

Dang, there's a lot of krav maga people on here. :) My teacher taught us that there are five basic rules. The first is to not allow yourself to get hit. The second is to always maintain a safe distance. Note that neither of those involve "*kitten*-kicking."

I'm sad that more women don't train in self-defense, especially since we're the ones who need it the most. And I'm even sadder that, at least in the US, you get called an anti-feminist if you encourage young women not to put themselves in harm's way. :/

Calling me an "anti-feminist" would be dramatically ironic, and at the same time, one of the nicer monickers I hear on a daily basis. I don't care if you're female, male or martian. Don't put yourself in harm's way, unless you or a loved one are in mortal danger. Period.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I train in ju Jitsu from the Cobra programme. Love it
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I'm taking self-defense next semester at my University. At first it was going to be a "for fun class", but after I thought about it more, it will be good for a female my age to learn things like this, especially when I walk alone so often at night!

I took it as well when I was in school. Easily one of the most useful electives ever and a lot of fun. ^.^