8 Myths about Self-Defense Training

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i have played A LOT of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat in my day. i think i have almost every scenario covered.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Self-Defense is NOT about toe-to-toe “Chuck-Norris-Walker-Texas-Ranger” karate fighting.
    Self-Defense is the utilization of fundamental, easily learned verbal and physical techniques, employed to effectively dissuade an attacker and leverage a 5-second window of escape.

“Tae Bo,” “Cardio-Kickboxing” and “Aerobics” are NOT forms of Self-Defense training, and believing that they are is an excellent way to get killed.
    Aerobics classes and videos are great ways to get into shape and look good in a bathing suit. However, they are fundamentally worthless when it comes to fending off a sexual assault or abating a life-threatening confrontation. The only way to learn to Self-Defense, is to study combative techniques from a qualified instructor, and repeat those techniques until they become second nature (more specifically “muscle memory”).

Self-Defense is NOT about “karate chops and groin kicks.”
    True Self-Defense encompasses the development of a personalized system of self-protection that incorporates proactive planning, situational awareness, verbal skills and reflex-based muscle memory development that deter attackers and discourage criminal assaults.

Self-Defense is NOT about which martial art style is the “bad-assiest.”
    Self-Defense is specific and paramount training designed to develop skills and muscle memory around approximately 10 to 20 core, easily-to-learn techniques that can be employed to establish a 5 second “window” of lead-time on an attacker, so you may escape danger and avoid being victimized.

Self-Defense is NOT about being an 'action hero' on a mission to save your hometown from renegade evildoers and zombies.
    The purpose of Self-Defense training to protect yourself from unlawful attacks, assaults, rape and physical confrontation.

“Magic Touches,” “Secret Moves,” “Killer Chi” & “Vulcan Never Pinches” are myths, and completely f*cking asinine.
    Despite what is portrayed in the media, real-life fighting is raw, chaotic and in most cases, absolutely terrifying (even for those with years of training and experience). The core fundamentals of practical Self-Defense are verbal deterrents and physical techniques used to thwart attacks by targeting vulnerable areas of your attacker's anatomy. Not "whoopin' *kitten*."

“If I'm ever attacked, I'll just shoot them.”
    This sentiment absolutely infuriates me, as it is dramatically naive and potentially catastrophic.

Utilizing any type of weapon during a confrontation is extremely difficult and dangerous. “Shooting” someone is much easier to say, than it is to do. Once the shot is fired, your actions, methods and decisions will be judged not by you; rather they will be judged by homicide detectives, district attorneys and juries who will likely not see the circumstances in the same “light” that you do.

If you doubt me on this point, ask George Zimmerman how he personally feels about the inane idea that one should “just shoot your attacker. It's your word against a dead man's.”

The biggest issue with this dumbass myth is that weapons do not have a conscious nor any sense of reason. “Fight or flight” will force you to be nervous and flood your body with adrenaline, causing you to make mistakes. Those mistakes can you ruin your life, and/or the innocent lives of others.

Thinking you don't need Self-Defense training because you own a gun, is like saying that you don't need butter knives, because you own a chainsaw.

“What are the odds I'll ever really need Self-Defense training?”
    1 out of 3, according to the US Justice Department's reports on criminal assaults on US citizens. Another shocking statistic that of the women attacked, 80% of them will know their attacker, personally.

For once, I agree with you. As far as carrying a concealed weapon, I'm not going to say that you shouldn't do it. However, if you do, you should make sure you are well-trained on its proper use, make target practice a part of your regular routine (at least once per week), and make sure you know the law in your state regarding when it is considered justifiable to shoot someone. You CAN'T just pull it out and point it at people willy nilly simply because you feel a little uncomfortable. Educate and train yourself regarding weapons use. Every time you take a gun into your hand, you're potentially putting your life and the lives of others at risk. It's a big responsibility and not something to be taken lightly.

Once? All the crap that I've posted on here, THIS is the only thing with which you agree?? I feel so unloved.

Okay, let me rephrase. Out of the three or four of your posts that I've seen, for once, I agree. Actually, now that I think about it, it's not so much that I disagreed with your opinions before, but usually (and PLEASE don't take offense to this) you tend to come across as a little antagonistic and confrontational (maybe it's the attorney in you, IDK). Certainly no reason for you to feel unloved here. :flowerforyou: I tend to treat everyone in a loving manner, even those with whom I do not always see eye to eye.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Very good! My brother in law teaches self defense and I took a class from him last month. He lives 900 miles away, otherwise he would be my personal trainer. I learned how to push and kick, and part of that means I learned that if you connect with the top of your foot instead of your shin you get a big bruise!

Do you teach self defense?

I am:
    - A 24-year practicing martial artist' with Blackbelts or BBE's in Tae Kwon, Judo, Jiu Jitsu & Krav Maga
    - A certified combatives and firearms instructor for the Department of Defense, Law Enforcement and Private Security Firms
    - A certified Rape Aggression Defense instructor
    - An attorney

I know a guy with a tapout shirt who wants to fight you
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    My daughter's been in Taekwon Do since she was 8-years-old and she's strong as a ox. :smokin:

That said, she knows she's supposed to run first, defend secondly if needed.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    Very good! My brother in law teaches self defense and I took a class from him last month. He lives 900 miles away, otherwise he would be my personal trainer. I learned how to push and kick, and part of that means I learned that if you connect with the top of your foot instead of your shin you get a big bruise!

Do you teach self defense?

I am:
    - A 24-year practicing martial artist' with Blackbelts or BBE's in Tae Kwon, Judo, Jiu Jitsu & Krav Maga
    - A certified combatives and firearms instructor for the Department of Defense, Law Enforcement and Private Security Firms
    - An attorney

They're not really a threat until they buy the shorts too. Then that *kitten* is oooon!

Hahaha! You're making me laugh today. You usually get me fired up and ready to fight. What's up with that?! LOL
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    What's with the Tapout hate? >.> They're one of the few companies that cut their shirts in a way that fits my shoulders.

Anyway, agree with everthing in the original post. Although I'm not much of a runner, so my time spent around ex-russian military personnel and sparring with them is probably quite helpful.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    great post. i knew my attacker. i wish i would have known then what i know now. no matter how strong you think you are ladies- men are going to be stronger.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I have sooo been wanting to get this done (learn some form of self defense, possibly more than one type).

It would be much better than the gun that I own that I pretty much can't legally use. Ha.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    great post. i knew my attacker. i wish i would have known then what i know now. no matter how strong you think you are ladies- men are going to be stronger.

There is a scientific methodology and algorithm that can be utilized to reduce a male's physical strength, in proportion to his muscle mass and body stature.

Step 1: Punch him in the face really, really f*cking hard. A lot.
    Step 2: See Step 1.

Hahaha! Love this! I have taken one self defense class, and the instructor said the heel of your palm to his nose is VERY effective. Years later that's the one thing I clearly remember from the class, but I have not yet encountered the need to put it in practice....thank God.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

There is a scientific methodology and algorithm that can be utilized to reduce a male's physical strength, in proportion to his muscle mass and body stature.

Hahaha! Love this! I have taken one self defense class, and the instructor said the heel of your palm to his nose is VERY effective. Years later that's the one thing I clearly remember from the class, but I have not yet encountered the need to put it in practice....thank God.
    That and a swift kick to the groin if there's an opportunity.

The pain of taking a blow to your nads is incomprehensible. It sort of travels through your entire nervous system. I am traumatized by cricket balls.
  • jcstanton
    Options

That and a swift kick to the groin if there's an opportunity.

The pain of taking a blow to your nads is incomprehensible. It sort of travels through your entire nervous system. I am traumatized by cricket balls.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yes, he also said to try that, but, in many cases, and attacker will not be deterred by this because, chances are, he is not a first time offender and he's been hit there so many times that he is "desensitized". Don't know if I believe that, though. Personally, I'm of the opinion that he only told us that because he didn't want us taking shots at his boys when we were practicing what he taught us. LOL
  • newking
    newking Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love this post. Taking krav maga classes has been amazing for my self esteem and being more aware of my surroundings.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I am:
    - An attorney

Your awesomeness just blew my mind
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options

hahaha! love it! thank you!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Wait - so that SING method from Miss Congeniality isn't the only thing I need to know about self defense? I feel so stupid. LOL

Great post - thanks for sharing it. I do have to take a class at some point. And I completely agree that the #1 defense is doing everything possible to not end up in situations where you need to defend yourself. Doesn't mean it's the victim's fault if they get attacked, but prevention goes a long way.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

0bb183b6b65b3f0f03bf8b947cba2ee9.jpg
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Anyone planning to "take a self defense class" should understand that it is not a "set it and forget it" thing. It's a perishable skill. In order to be effective you must continue to practice the techniques and mindset until it becomes lodged in your lizard brain so you will be able to access it when under stress. The techniques should also be very simple and use mostly gross motor functions - again, so they are useful when your lizard brain takes over.

Unless you have a Tapout shirt apparently.
  • hlcgreene
    hlcgreene Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did Ju Jitsu for 9 years, I achieved a Black Belt 2nd Dan and loved every minute of it! It keeps you fit, you meet brill people and learn how to defend yourself.
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    “If I'm ever attacked, I'll just shoot them.”
    This sentiment absolutely infuriates me, as it is dramatically naive and potentially catastrophic.

Utilizing any type of weapon during a confrontation is extremely difficult and dangerous. “Shooting” someone is much easier to say, than it is to do. Once the shot is fired, your actions, methods and decisions will be judged not by you; rather they will be judged by homicide detectives, district attorneys and juries who will likely not see the circumstances in the same “light” that you do.

If you doubt me on this point, ask George Zimmerman how he personally feels about the inane idea that one should “just shoot your attacker. It's your word against a dead man's.”

The biggest issue with this dumbass myth is that weapons do not have a conscious nor any sense of reason. “Fight or flight” will force you to be nervous and flood your body with adrenaline, causing you to make mistakes. Those mistakes can you ruin your life, and/or the innocent lives of others.

There are major problems with this thought process. Just like self-defense, if you don't practice, you won't be able to do it when it matters. In most cases, it will have to happen in less than five seconds, without enough space between you and your attacker, there's a good chance your gun will be used to kill you.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    What's with the Tapout hate? >.> They're one of the few companies that cut their shirts in a way that fits my shoulders.

Anyway, agree with everthing in the original post. Although I'm not much of a runner, so my time spent around ex-russian military personnel and sparring with them is probably quite helpful.

Their clothes are fine. For some reason, there are a select group of @ssmonkeys that feel as though paying $19.95 for a Tapout shirt equates to 20+ years of martial arts expertise.

Mathematically, their logic is slightly flawed.

Great, that was going to be my self defense training. I thought all I'd need was the shirt and it would make me a master of all forms of ninjahood. guess I'll just get more tattoos because they make you tougher :laugh: