8 Myths about Self-Defense Training

Options

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I am a fighter. Always have been. If I see something going on with someone I stop and help. Its happened several times in my life.

My thoughts:

I have a better chance at survival if I don't let them take me. (even if they stab me or shoot me) Its also better then being tortured and have it dragged out. If no one sees or hears me, I might as well just get in the car myself.

I need to be willing to do some pretty gruesome things like poke their eyes out, grab their genitals and pull as hard as I can, kick them there, take what ever is in my hand hit them in the head. I know it sounds scary but I HAVE to defend myself. I will not be a victim.

If your every kidnapped and have a cell phone, hit redial. If they see you do it, throw your phone. People will be able to pick up the signal and it may alert who over is on the other line to something happening.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I am:
    - A 24-year practicing martial artist' with Blackbelts or BBE's in Tae Kwon, Judo, Jiu Jitsu & Krav Maga
    - A certified combatives and firearms instructor for the Department of Defense, Law Enforcement and Private Security Firms
    - A certified Rape Aggression Defense instructor
    - An attorney

I've been taking Krav Maga for about a year now - my favourite sentiment from the instructor was that the purpose of Krav Maga is to disable your attacker just enough that you can GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE. As a woman living alone in the city, those are the kinds of skills I'm looking for.

Also, I'm a law student, so I'm having a bit of a fangirl moment over you. :D
    Dang, there's a lot of krav maga people on here. :) My teacher taught us that there are five basic rules. The first is to not allow yourself to get hit. The second is to always maintain a safe distance. Note that neither of those involve "*kitten*-kicking."

I'm sad that more women don't train in self-defense, especially since we're the ones who need it the most. And I'm even sadder that, at least in the US, you get called an anti-feminist if you encourage young women not to put themselves in harm's way. :/

Calling me an "anti-feminist" would be dramatically ironic, and at the same time, one of the nicer monickers I hear on a daily basis. I don't care if you're female, male or martian. Don't put yourself in harm's way, unless you or a loved one are in mortal danger. Period.
    Exactly. Apparently one of the advice column writers gets routinely called a teetotaler and a victim blamer for saying that people, especially women, should not get so drunk that they can't control their actions and are effectively at the mercy of others. :huh:

Another thing our teacher told us was that we should never get involved in a fight unless the fight involves someone we know, the assumption there being that we know they are not the aggressor, or is clearly one-sided (attacking children, or the elderly, for example). For all we know, it's someone else's settling of scores, and breaking up fights are what the police are for.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    “Tae Bo,” “Cardio-Kickboxing” and “Aerobics” are NOT forms of Self-Defense training, and believing that they are is an excellent way to get killed.
    Aerobics classes and videos are great ways to get into shape and look good in a bathing suit. However, they are fundamentally worthless when it comes to fending off a sexual assault or abating a life-threatening confrontation. The only way to learn to Self-Defense, is to study combative techniques from a qualified instructor, and repeat those techniques until they become second nature (more specifically “muscle memory”).

Billy Blanks has shown example of how his moves can help a person protect themselves from an attacker.

I own self defense videos. I have never taken a class, but I would not say that I can't learn a thing or two from the videos or even from Billy Blanks.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    “Tae Bo,” “Cardio-Kickboxing” and “Aerobics” are NOT forms of Self-Defense training, and believing that they are is an excellent way to get killed.
    Aerobics classes and videos are great ways to get into shape and look good in a bathing suit. However, they are fundamentally worthless when it comes to fending off a sexual assault or abating a life-threatening confrontation. The only way to learn to Self-Defense, is to study combative techniques from a qualified instructor, and repeat those techniques until they become second nature (more specifically “muscle memory”).

Billy Blanks has shown example of how his moves can help a person protect themselves from an attacker.

I own self defense videos. I have never taken a class, but I would not say that I can't learn a thing or two from the videos or even from Billy Blanks.

Using that same logic, you should be able to win the Ironman Triathlon by watching a video about swimming and jogging in your living room.

I respectfully, yet utterly, disagree with your position. ;)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    It surprises me how unaware most people are when it comes to dangers all around.
    It does not mean we need to go around paranoid. Just be aware.
    AND ALWAYS READY!

90% of true Self-Defense is making good decisions and not putting yourself in a position to NEED Self-Defense.
    Another key is not looking like a victim. Keep your head up and look like your paying attention to what's going on around you. Victimizers generally look for people that look nervous and scared or are looking at their feet all the time. The best fight is the one you never have.

I've been in law enforcement for 17 years and for the past 3 have been a defensive tactics instructor and firearms instructor for the past 6 so the application is a little bit different but the overall mindset and fundamentals are the same.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Something I would really like to take...a self defense class!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    All women, men, girls, and boys should take a self-defense class. And then, refreshers now and again. And then, hopefully, never need to use it.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I took a self-defense class in college. One of the first things our instructor said was that our best defense was to employ the 50-yard dash.:smile: That being said, we did learn more than how to sprint lol
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you sir, this is a very nice topic. I personally am awaked at the number of people who think by watching youtube clips or a video that they will know how to defend themselves if for some unfortunate reason they are put into a situation that requires self preservation. On the other side of the coin i've seen a few "self defense" classes that turn out people who couldn't defend themselves if they got attacked by a quadriplegic midget.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I am very thankful for my self-defense teacher. Instead of fancy moves or wishful thinking, he taught us things that are hard to face, for instance, that being able to defend yourself doesn't necessarily mean you won't be injured (he told us a story about a woman who grabbed a knife blade to prevent the attacker from piercing her heart or lungs, and ended up with lacerated hands but ultimately survived the attack). We also learned legal issues, for instance, the fact that an attacker can sue you if you injure him/her while defending yourself, as crazy as that is.

I still like kickboxing and martial arts based workouts though. I don't pretend they make me invincible, but I like releasing some stress by imagining I am thumping someone's butt while I burn some calories. Beats a treadmill.
  • boldtsmith
    boldtsmith Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    "people who couldn't defend themselves if they got attacked by a quadriplegic midget. "
    :sad:
    Hey, that guy was way tougher than he looked!

great post
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yay! More Krav people!! I've been training for over a year now and am a level 2! I love it! And the best thing my teacher ever said- If something really happens, don't make it pretty, make it effective!! I love how instinctive KM is and how it works with many of the body's natural reactions!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

Using that same logic, you should be able to win the Ironman Triathlon by watching a video about swimming and jogging in your living room.

I respectfully, yet utterly, disagree with your position. ;)

I'm not looking for you to agree with me.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Very good! My brother in law teaches self defense and I took a class from him last month. He lives 900 miles away, otherwise he would be my personal trainer. I learned how to push and kick, and part of that means I learned that if you connect with the top of your foot instead of your shin you get a big bruise!

Do you teach self defense?

I am:
    - A 24-year practicing martial artist' with Blackbelts or BBE's in Tae Kwon, Judo, Jiu Jitsu & Krav Maga
    - A certified combatives and firearms instructor for the Department of Defense, Law Enforcement and Private Security Firms
    - An attorney

Cool post. What are your recommendations? I've always wanted to take marital arts anyways and was thinking Muay Thai or Kickboxing but then Judo has also always been very interesting to me too. Not sure if this matters or not but I'm 6'0" typically between 200 and 205lbs.

I've read that Krav Maga is very good but the "real" form of Krav Maga isn't taught to civilians and that the civilian methods aren't very good. I don't know personally nor have an opinion, just curious.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I agree that confidence can prevent a lot of drama from occurring.

I have been in a few sticky situations in the past. I wasn't in danger of losing my life, but I've been around a drunk dude that didn't want to take no for an answer.

I've also had a coworker climb into my car without being invited in, and that same coworker snapped wet towels on my bare skin while I was wearing shorts. If I had known then, what I know now, I would have notified OSHA about that, but live and learn. I actually tried hitting the guy once as hard as I could, and he literally laughed in my face. That day, I learned the violence is not the answer, because I will never ever be stronger or meaner than most guys I know.

In both situations, my best defense was looking around for escape routes and witnesses, and simply asserting to the guy that it's not ok to treat me like that.

At some point, I'd like to take a martial arts class, and learn a bit of the non-violent aspects of it, but I'm not sure which one I want to take, because I actually have several goals in mind.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Very good! My brother in law teaches self defense and I took a class from him last month. He lives 900 miles away, otherwise he would be my personal trainer. I learned how to push and kick, and part of that means I learned that if you connect with the top of your foot instead of your shin you get a big bruise!

I am:
    - An attorney

If I lived closer, and if you offered a self defense class, I'd take it. You have a lot of valid points with all of your years of experience.
  • Luckydrd
    Luckydrd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I want to learn from you
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Self-Defense is NOT about toe-to-toe “Chuck-Norris-Walker-Texas-Ranger” karate fighting.
    Self-Defense is the utilization of fundamental, easily learned verbal and physical techniques, employed to effectively dissuade an attacker and leverage a 5-second window of escape.

Self-Defense is NOT about “karate chops and groin kicks.”
    True Self-Defense encompasses the development of a personalized system of self-protection that incorporates proactive planning, situational awareness, verbal skills and reflex-based muscle memory development that deter attackers and discourage criminal assaults.

Self-Defense is NOT about which martial art style is the “bad-assiest.”
    Self-Defense is specific and paramount training designed to develop skills and muscle memory around approximately 10 to 20 core, easily-to-learn techniques that can be employed to establish a 5 second “window” of lead-time on an attacker, so you may escape danger and avoid being victimized.

Self-Defense is NOT about being an 'action hero' on a mission to save your hometown from renegade evildoers and zombies.
    The purpose of Self-Defense training to protect yourself from unlawful attacks, assaults, rape and physical confrontation.

“Magic Touches,” “Secret Moves,” “Killer Chi” & “Vulcan Never Pinches” are myths, and completely f*cking asinine.
    Despite what is portrayed in the media, real-life fighting is raw, chaotic and in most cases, absolutely terrifying (even for those with years of training and experience). The core fundamentals of practical Self-Defense are verbal deterrents and physical techniques used to thwart attacks by targeting vulnerable areas of your attacker's anatomy. Not "whoopin' *kitten*."

“If I'm ever attacked, I'll just shoot them.”
    This sentiment absolutely infuriates me, as it is dramatically naive and potentially catastrophic.

Utilizing any type of weapon during a confrontation is extremely difficult and dangerous. “Shooting” someone is much easier to say, than it is to do. Once the shot is fired, your actions, methods and decisions will be judged not by you; rather they will be judged by homicide detectives, district attorneys and juries who will likely not see the circumstances in the same “light” that you do.

If you doubt me on this point, ask George Zimmerman how he personally feels about the inane idea that one should “just shoot your attacker. It's your word against a dead man's.”

The biggest issue with this dumbass myth is that weapons do not have a conscious nor any sense of reason. “Fight or flight” will force you to be nervous and flood your body with adrenaline, causing you to make mistakes. Those mistakes can you ruin your life, and/or the innocent lives of others.

Thinking you don't need Self-Defense training because you own a gun, is like saying that you don't need butter knives, because you own a chainsaw.

“What are the odds I'll ever really need Self-Defense training?”
    1 out of 3, according to the US Justice Department's reports on criminal assaults on US citizens. Another shocking statistic that of the women attacked, 80% of them will know their attacker, personally.

For once, I agree with you. As far as carrying a concealed weapon, I'm not going to say that you shouldn't do it. However, if you do, you should make sure you are well-trained on its proper use, make target practice a part of your regular routine (at least once per week), and make sure you know the law in your state regarding when it is considered justifiable to shoot someone. You CAN'T just pull it out and point it at people willy nilly simply because you feel a little uncomfortable. Educate and train yourself regarding weapons use. Every time you take a gun into your hand, you're potentially putting your life and the lives of others at risk. It's a big responsibility and not something to be taken lightly.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

I am:
    - An attorney

Cool post. What are your recommendations? I've always wanted to take marital arts anyways and was thinking Muay Thai or Kickboxing but then Judo has also always been very interesting to me too. Not sure if this matters or not but I'm 6'0" typically between 200 and 205lbs.

I've read that Krav Maga is very good but the "real" form of Krav Maga isn't taught to civilians and that the civilian methods aren't very good. I don't know personally nor have an opinion, just curious.

Me too! Me too! I'm thinking I'd like to take some Tae Kwon Do classes.
  • Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I keep meaning to start doing a martial art.... but have been putting it off for years... I am lucky since I am physically intimidating (solid build, 6'2") so my main self defence throughout my life has consisted of
    1. Be alert
    2. Avoid situations where confrontations may occur
    3. Run first, ask questions later

Now that I have a small tribe of kids, I am reconsidering my stance as I feel I may one day be put in a position where I am forced to not only defend myself but my family too. I am considering Tae Kwon Do.

My main fear is a home invasion, so the self defence method I choose would have to be something suited to close quarters defence... Any suggestion other than Tae Kwon Do would be considered.