8 Myths about Self-Defense Training

Options

Replies

• Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great, that was going to be my self defense training. I thought all I'd need was the shirt and it would make me a master of all forms of ninjahood. guess I'll just get more tattoos because they make you tougher :laugh:

You forgot the black hood and booties to be a master ninja :)

I have practiced martial arts for just about 21 years with my main concentration in Japanese Jujitsu, Sandan/3rd Degree Black Belt, but I also do Brazilian Jujitsu, Blue Belt No Stripes, as well. I agree with pretty much all the points the op posted with regards to self-defense.

The only caveat I would add is:

*Never assume anything about your attacker. Never assume they are untrained or stupid. No one is going to attack another person unless they think they have a clear advantage to "Win" unless they are whacked out of their mind on something which presents other challenges like the op mentioned one of his posts.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    *Never assume anything about your attacker. Never assume they are untrained or stupid. No one is going to attack another person unless they think they have a clear advantage to "Win" unless they are whacked out of their mind on something which presents other challenges like the op mentioned one of his posts.

or a tapout shirt... :bigsmile:
  • billyjoebob
    Options
    I'd like to take some self defense classes, as well as have my children take some. How old does a child need to be before taking a self defense class? What type of class should I look for?
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My self defense techniques:

#1. Always hang out with someone slower than you.
    #2. Don't be afraid to trip people if they are faster.
    #3. Carry a large assortment of fake mustaches for quick identity changes.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It surprises me how unaware most people are when it comes to dangers all around.
    It does not mean we need to go around paranoid. Just be aware.
    AND ALWAYS READY!

90% of true Self-Defense is making good decisions and not putting yourself in a position to NEED Self-Defense.
    Another key is not looking like a victim. Keep your head up and look like your paying attention to what's going on around you. Victimizers generally look for people that look nervous and scared or are looking at their feet all the time. The best fight is the one you never have.

I've been in law enforcement for 17 years and for the past 3 have been a defensive tactics instructor and firearms instructor for the past 6 so the application is a little bit different but the overall mindset and fundamentals are the same.

THIS!

These are most Excellent & Important posts, as is this thread. I will also add that in addition to ALWAYS being aware of your surroundings (always looking around you as you walk & drive) ALWAYS and ever ready to defend yourself or die trying look in your eyes and in your walk--not in a defensive, or arrogant looking walk and manner or anything like that, just a "confident/bat-schlitz beer crazy "air" about yourself that lets the "other" crazies know (just like a wild animals or a loose vicious dog running up on you unexpectedly or something KNOWS (sense/smell fear) who to mess with and who to pass up--sending them the subliminal message by the way your carry yourself that you ain't in the mood for no mess--AT ALL, not even a little bit. That you ain't going down without a fight and if you are going down...ya taking them with ya!

Bad guys and gals looking to do some mess/criminal activity, don't want to be seen and don't want to deal with someone who is going to cause a huge commotion and/or go crazy (not in fear, but in a "make my day--I've been waiting to go off and/or kill someone for a long time now) kinda way, and again...most bad guys/gals (from ages 8 to 80) like animals can sense who to Fuddruckers with! Ya know, the ole "don't start none, won't be none, you start some and it's ON type of carrying yourself when you're out and about especially alone. Lastly, it's important to live this way...because when mess goes down, it's 9 times out of 10 totally unexpected. So, if you are ALWAYS ready for some mess (NOT a paranoid manner, but a hey this is life and the world we live in manner/attitude/way of carrying yourself), when (not if, but when) he/she/it comes up...you'll be a wee bit more ready and not taken by the element of (unpleasant and/or scary) surprise.

It's important to teach your children these things too--as this is what/how my father, who was a tough cop in a big mean city taught me at a young age how to carry myself, and it has never failed me yet--Thank God!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I am very thankful for my self-defense teacher. Instead of fancy moves or wishful thinking, he taught us things that are hard to face, for instance, that being able to defend yourself doesn't necessarily mean you won't be injured (he told us a story about a woman who grabbed a knife blade to prevent the attacker from piercing her heart or lungs, and ended up with lacerated hands but ultimately survived the attack). We also learned legal issues, for instance, the fact that an attacker can sue you if you injure him/her while defending yourself, as crazy as that is.

I still like kickboxing and martial arts based workouts though. I don't pretend they make me invincible, but I like releasing some stress by imagining I am thumping someone's butt while I burn some calories. Beats a treadmill.

THIS!

Fabulous teacher you have and most excellent post too!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this info. My kickboxing teacher (karate) also teaches the COBRA self defense system, he incorporates some things into the regular class, but always says the goal is to get away, not deliver an *kitten* kicking.

That is the hardest thing to get most men to realize. Men often want to "whoop *kitten*." In my classes I not only teach the techniques, I also teach the legalities of when "self-defense crosses the line to assault."

As we've seen in recent very recent past, doesn't this depend on state specific laws with regards to the use of deadly force as well as responsibilities of registered martial artists (ie the concept of your body as a deadly weapon?)

Either way - thanks for posting. I'm usually for the avoidance and being careful/aware method - but have taken a few self defense courses and martial arts styles. I don't feel overly confident, but I'm glad I took them.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am very thankful for my self-defense teacher. Instead of fancy moves or wishful thinking, he taught us things that are hard to face, for instance, that being able to defend yourself doesn't necessarily mean you won't be injured (he told us a story about a woman who grabbed a knife blade to prevent the attacker from piercing her heart or lungs, and ended up with lacerated hands but ultimately survived the attack). We also learned legal issues, for instance, the fact that an attacker can sue you if you injure him/her while defending yourself, as crazy as that is.

I still like kickboxing and martial arts based workouts though. I don't pretend they make me invincible, but I like releasing some stress by imagining I am thumping someone's butt while I burn some calories. Beats a treadmill.

THIS!

Fabulous teacher you have and most excellent post too!

Almost anything beats a treadmill.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    It's called the "sjohnny bill" because they think I have a label declaring my awesomeness. What the ignorant politicians don't realize is that I'm so awesome it just emits from me. No label required.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this info. My kickboxing teacher (karate) also teaches the COBRA self defense system, he incorporates some things into the regular class, but always says the goal is to get away, not deliver an *kitten* kicking.

That is the hardest thing to get most men to realize. Men often want to "whoop *kitten*." In my classes I not only teach the techniques, I also teach the legalities of when "self-defense crosses the line to assault."

As we've seen in recent very recent past, doesn't this depend on state specific laws with regards to the use of deadly force as well as responsibilities of registered martial artists (ie the concept of your body as a deadly weapon?)

Either way - thanks for posting. I'm usually for the avoidance and being careful/aware method - but have taken a few self defense courses and martial arts styles. I don't feel overly confident, but I'm glad I took them.

"Registering yourself as a deadly weapon" is a fictitious, movie thing. There is bill before congress that would force people to wear a label that details the amount of awesomeness they possess.

[Insert egotistical awesomeness joke here]
    ^^^^^^^^^
    No, I was going to share that joke about the nuns doing push-ups in the cucumber patch.
    Never mind. It's too offensive:flowerforyou:
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this info. I took a R.A.D. class at my university and it was well worth my time. I'd love to take another.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Radical *kitten* Demolishing?
  • bear8479
    bear8479 Posts: 2
    Options
    It surprises me how unaware most people are when it comes to dangers all around.
    It does not mean we need to go around paranoid. Just be aware.
    AND ALWAYS READY!

90% of true Self-Defense is making good decisions and not putting yourself in a position to NEED Self-Defense.
    Another key is not looking like a victim. Keep your head up and look like your paying attention to what's going on around you. Victimizers generally look for people that look nervous and scared or are looking at their feet all the time. The best fight is the one you never have.

I've been in law enforcement for 17 years and for the past 3 have been a defensive tactics instructor and firearms instructor for the past 6 so the application is a little bit different but the overall mindset and fundamentals are the same.

Completely agree. Get the headphones out your ears, keep your head high and walk with purpose.
    I also work in law enforcement, and I am tiny! Size doesn't matter if you know how to offensively and defensively protect yourself. Defensive training is important for all women, all should have a practiced defensive plan.
  • HectorJohnson
    HectorJohnson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One time I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what do you think about Krav Maga? I wouldn't even call it a martial art, it's really not "pretty" or "badass" or glamorous in any way. It seems to be really focused on getting the job done and getting out of harm's way, no matter what's needed to get there...

I haven't taken classes yet, but if I were to take up self-defense, it would probably be that. Seems to be somewhat relevant that the army of a country that has 100 million fire weapons for 200 millions population has mandatory training with that technique.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Rape Aggression Defense ... but yes, that too.

On a related note, I just looked at your profile pictures, and if someone attacks you, I'd suspect they either have a small nuclear weapon ready to be used, or they are just suicidal...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

On a related note, I just looked at your profile pictures, and if someone attacks you, I'd suspect they either have a small nuclear weapon ready to be used, or they are just suicidal...
    I doubt very much that Mr. Cuddles, our OP, comes under regular threat of assault.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    430627_350198035021007_897049214_n.jpg
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

I doubt very much that Mr. Cuddles, our OP, comes under regular threat of assault.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Mr. Cuddles!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yeah, he's just a big softy, that one. :wink:
  • HectorJohnson
    HectorJohnson Posts: 3 Member
    Options

So... were you two dating? Or...

No, that would be a hate crime.