Anyone have a Fitbit?

Options
12346»

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I just started using my fitbit yesterday and am really excited about how it keeps me constantly conscious of calories in and out.

Question: Since it functions as a pedometer anyhow, should I not bother logging in a 3-mile walk when I do that as one of the workouts for the day? Or should I log that in because I need to keep track of specific, dedicated workouts?

You don't need to log anything like walks, runs, dancing, housework, yard work. That 'steps-based' stuff it tracks fine without you doing anything. If you log workouts for some other reason besides just knowing how many calories you burned in a day, I suppose you could log your walks. If you log them on the Fitbit site, you're just overwriting 'detected' info with 'database' info, though.
  • debjo18
    debjo18 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've had for about a week (traded for my GoWear bulky unit) and I have to say that I LOVE that myfitnesspal, fitbit, and Endomondo link together. I (just yesterday) got rid of my old scale and picked up the fitbit Aria scale and LOVE THAT TOO (although it was a shock to see how "off" my old one was.

These tools are here to help us, to educate us, and to give us control!

Good luck and stick with it!

Debbie
  • carmax54
    carmax54 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and was wondering what I FitBit is and what it will do for me? The same questions about the scale I see so many mentioning.
    Thank you!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Question: Since it functions as a pedometer anyhow, should I not bother logging in a 3-mile walk when I do that as one of the workouts for the day? Or should I log that in because I need to keep track of specific, dedicated workouts?
    If you want to keep track of specific dedicated workouts, push and hold the button at the beginning of your exercise and push and hold it again at the end. When your fitbit synchs, it will set aside this time as a separate workout (still counting the calories, steps, changes in altitude in your totals) under your activities log.
  • 31beautiful
    Options
    IT APPEARS I NEED TO CHECK THE FITBIT OUT AND MAYBE INVEST IN ONE. THANKS
  • missredk8
    missredk8 Posts: 9
    Options
    Just got my fitbit yesterday but its not zeroed overnight - its been sat in the dock and everything has zeroed except the calories which says I have managed to burn 743 calories - help!! how do I reset it?

When you set it up at the fitbit site, you input your time zone. The unit resets at midnight and zeros everything out. When you get up in the morning there will be calories burned because you burn calories while sleeping. I typically have about 300 or so calories on it when I get up. It won't matter if you are wearing it for the sleep mode or if it is in the dock - it will give midnight to the time you get up credit for calories burned.

Thank you so much for telling me that! thought it was busted!! was very upset! :)
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I had had mine for a few months now. I love the the tracking of steps and activity level but don't care for the calorie burn. I have put all my info into fitbit.com and weight and all and have linked it to MFP but it will say that I only burn like 80 calories doing 30 minutes of aerobics/cardio which can't possible be right. Other than the caloire part, I think it is awesome.

I wear mine on my bra usually but if my shirt is thin or I think it can be seen, I wear it on my pants pocket.

The Fitbit will calculate the steps you take during your cardio workout but it can't determine effort, that is why the calories burned are low. You really need to use a HRM for activities like that and then overwrite the calories burned with what your HRM says.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    I had had mine for a few months now. I love the the tracking of steps and activity level but don't care for the calorie burn. I have put all my info into fitbit.com and weight and all and have linked it to MFP but it will say that I only burn like 80 calories doing 30 minutes of aerobics/cardio which can't possible be right. Other than the caloire part, I think it is awesome.

I wear mine on my bra usually but if my shirt is thin or I think it can be seen, I wear it on my pants pocket.

Most cardio activities it does a pretty good job of estimating calories for. What are you doing when it gives you that 80 calories for 30 minutes of aerobics/cardio? Unless you're on a bike, it should be roughly accurate.

Or are you seeing a 80 calorie "Fitbit adjustment" sent to your MFP goal and attributing that to your workout? That's a whole other thing.
  • 1mjmack
    1mjmack Posts: 1
    Options
    Myfitnesspal site says it is linked with fitbit and I logged in food in myfitnesspal but it doesn't show up on my fitbit site. ODes anyone know how do do this or do I have to put my food intake on both sites or do I need to sign up for myfitnessplan?
  • mcarter99
    Options
    No, mine synchs. There is a way on both sites (or one, not sure which) to link them. Look under your profile area at the top right part of the Fitbit dashboard, pick Share and then Applications. I think that's all it takes.