Disgusting much?

Options
va_va_voom
va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
And we wonder why America has an obesity problem? Do people really believe we can/should deep fry any/everything? :sick:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/deep-fried-cereal-debuts-county-fair-200923198--abc-news-topstories.html

Replies

• sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I don't wonder, lol. Okay, sometimes I wander.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    hahahaha what you worried about? In Scotland you can get deep fried mars and snickers bars
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm from the south and see this a lot.. and at fairs and stuff, it's just kind of a novelty. Most people share 1 with a friend, and only try it on occasion. It's not available all of the time, and most people don't eat like that all the time.

I don't have an issue with it.. I've had a bite or two of deep fried snickers at a Christmas lights tour at Calloway Gardens.. shared it with my husband. It was fun.. I wouldn't want to eat one every day, or even every month.. but it was an interesting thing to try once.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    hahahaha what you worried about? In Scotland you can get deep fried mars and snickers bars

And I am moving. lol.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    That crap is found everywhere. We don't HAVE to eat it. I get so pissed off every time I hear of some obese person suing McDonald's for "making" them fat! It's called SELF-CONTROL. I certainly haven't always had it...that's why I am now here, trying to lose a lot of weight. But, no one else made me eat the crap I ate...that was all me.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Obesity has to do with television and leisure time. A lot less obesity in the USA when it was pre-1935 and most of us worked on farms or factories.

Obesity has to do with entitlement. This country owes me hte good life so I will live large and make the public health system pay for my diabetic health care.

Obesity has to do with convenience and processed food or fast food. We want to play or sit more and work less in the kitchen and garden.

Just some quick thoughts of the top of my obese head...
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Yea we've got that here in US too. I saw on TV the other week a restaurant that will deep fry ANYTHING. Pizza. Oreos. Cola. Pickles. It's a travesty.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    That crap is found everywhere. We don't HAVE to eat it. I get so pissed off every time I hear of some obese person suing McDonald's for "making" them fat! It's called SELF-CONTROL. I certainly haven't always had it...that's why I am now here, trying to lose a lot of weight. But, no one else made me eat the crap I ate...that was all me.

People who sue companies because it "made their kid fat" or "My kid always want's to go to McDonalds because they offer toys" make me want to punch a child in the face!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The obesity problem is not because of novelty food that's eaten once a year at a fair.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The obesity problem is not because of novelty food that's eaten once a year at a fair.

This right here.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    we actually eat 1/6th more than those in other countries also. when I went to Russia they ate way less on their portions.
  • va_va_voom
    Options

Thank you, Captain Obvious. I was talking about the deep frying - ANYTHING - part. Not the fact that a person can buy it at the fair once a year when it moves through town.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    IT'S AT A FAIR!

Gah.

Go eat some fried salad.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I don't wonder, and agree with the poster about food novelty not being the issue....nor a "travesty". The travesty is the total lack of self control, and overbearing feeling of entitlement that we have in the US.

What about the need for drive thru's since god forbid we get out of our vehicle.
    What about feeding our kids those same cereals that are being deep fried, just because they want them?
    How about the fact that your grocery is made up of 90% packaged / processed food?

How about buying our kids gaming systems and smart phones at an age in which they should be coloring pictures and going outside to play - Yes I said it....OUTSIDE.

There is no more or less restraint required when choosing to eat a deep fried twinkie, KFC, or a french fry, than there is when deciding to buy healthy food in the grocery, (OMG) cook for your family, or for cripes sake say NO to your children.

The fact that the novelty stuff sells and people will pay for it is called Free Enterprise, and I think its a cool concept. Would i buy some? nope...and that's called Freedom of Choice. Equally cool.
  • va_va_voom
    Options
    Obesity has to do with television and leisure time. A lot less obesity in the USA when it was pre-1935 and most of us worked on farms or factories.

Obesity has to do with entitlement. This country owes me hte good life so I will live large and make the public health system pay for my diabetic health care.

Obesity has to do with convenience and processed food or fast food. We want to play or sit more and work less in the kitchen and garden.

Just some quick thoughts of the top of my obese head...

Completely agree.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    we actually eat 1/6th more than those in other countries also. when I went to Russia they ate way less on their portions.

Even the portions in Canada are much smaller for fast food and even just in general. Plus most of our food has less calories in it, if you look at the labels, I can eat an extra 1/4 cup of special K in Canada but if I bought it in USA it would have more calories.
  • va_va_voom
    Options

I can honestly say that fried ice cream is probably the only non-typically fried food item that I have ever eaten. It *is* about self-control, for sure. But, this type of stuff wouldn't be offered if people didn't buy it.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Is this a rip off of the deep fried burger thread?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

Even the portions in Canada are much smaller for fast food and even just in general.

there was triple and quadruple big macs at a few mcdonalds i went to in montréal, so jealous. why can't i get that in the states?!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    also. fat is not always the enemy.