Now they are going to ban free refills on drinks?

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    McDonald's had been offering a caramel dipping sauce for their apples from the time they introduced them. Apples dipped in caramel sauce is a classic combination that people have been eating pretty much since the invention of caramel sauce.

Someone dipping a slice of apple into caramel isn't "health doomed," that's the most ridiculous statement I've read all day, and shows a total ignorance of overall health and nutrition.
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    people complaining that they cant dip apple in caramel are, they talk about it as if its a right to be able to do that..sure in your own home but why complain that somewhere doesn't sell it.. and i have never seen caramel being offered with apples. Neither when i've been in the US.

also how does it show ignorance to health and nutrtion? On what planet is Caramel good for your health.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No food is good or bad in a vacuum. It all interacts together to form an overall diet. In a healthy diet, you can eat caramel every day and maintain perfect health. The only time a food is "bad" is if it prevents you from consuming adequate amounts of protein, fat, vitamins, or minerals. If you reach all of those goals, there's no such thing as a "bad" food.
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    No food is good or bad in a vacuum. It all interacts together to form an overall diet. In a healthy diet, you can eat caramel every day and maintain perfect health. The only time a food is "bad" is if it prevents you from consuming adequate amounts of protein, fat, vitamins, or minerals. If you reach all of those goals, there's no such thing as a "bad" food.

there is such thing as a bad food, esspecially corn syrup, its very bad for your health. Some foods should be avoided all together and are unnessciary, i think that attitude is why so many people are overweight because telling people they can eat what they want and loose weight is going to end up diaster. I mean it works for people that have self control, loads of my friends eat whatever they want but no when to stop. People who are overweight don't know when to stop, like myself so cutting out unnesscary stuff like adding caramel to an already sugary apple would be one. (Plus all my friends that are in great shape who eat whatever don't dream of eating mcdonalds or kfc, they go for great home made burgers or great resturants and i think thats important, if your going to eat junk food atleast eat the yummiest junk food)
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't see the big deal, but then I live in the UK where free refills aren't as common and even when they are, I rarely drink more than one anyway. I mean, you don't buy a can of drink from a shop and then walk right in two minutes later to get a free one. If you want more cola, pay for more cola!
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    People who are saying that this will lead to communism - are they serious or being sarcastic? I have this awful feeling that they're being serious...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I switched to ordering water when I go out to eat, but mostly because is shaves about $5 off our bill. It pains me to pay more for one glass of soda than I'd pay for two 2 liters. :laugh:
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think this is more relevant in a country with free public health care?

BINGO.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Every time I hear a stupid idea like this, I am reminded to always vote Republican.

how can one user be so smart!!:happy: :laugh: :wink: :smile: :tongue: :love: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :bigsmile:
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    People who are saying that this will lead to communism - are they serious or being sarcastic? I have this awful feeling that they're being serious...

Welcome to Amerika!

One day, we will all be punished for even writing posts in this forum which complain about the government.

Sound familiar? Like something you may have heard on the evening news? Something that happens today in countries far, far away? Something that would never happen here? Yeah, right.

A society that does not fight to keep its rights will certainly lose them.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think this is going way too far. I understand why they want too but seriously? Now the government wants to control how many refills we can drink?

The horror!

How many sodas does any one person need exactly? Some people just don't need more fizzy pop - they need an intervention.

Considering obesity and related illnesses cost the US approximately $200 billion you would think taking any kind of active steps to reduce it and therefore the amount of tax dollars US citizens have to pay would at least be given a shot. That's probably a bit too much like Communism though...
  • tabulator32
    Options
    I think this is going way too far. I understand why they want too but seriously? Now the government wants to control how many refills we can drink?

The horror!

How many sodas does any one person need exactly? Some people just don't need more fizzy pop - they need an intervention.

Considering obesity and related illnesses cost the US approximately $200 billion you would think taking any kind of active steps to reduce it and therefore the amount of tax dollars US citizens have to pay would at least be given a shot. That's probably a bit too much like Communism though...

Its all about PERSONAL responsibility, friend.

People should be able to regulate their own diet. Eat what they want to eat and drink what they want to drink.

Of course, eating healthier would be better, but personal food choices, like religion, should remain a free-will choice, not a government regulation.

It will only continue to grow worse.

Here is your bowl of gruel for the day. It is what is best for the government economy. C'mon, do your part!
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options

The horror!

People should be able to regulate their own diet. Eat what they want to eat and drink what they want to drink.

Of course, eating healthier would be better, but personal food choices, like religion, should remain a free-will choice, not a government regulation.

Here is your bowl of gruel for the day. It is what is best for the government economy. C'mon, do your part!

Whilst I agree people should be able to eat/drink whatever they like, why should it be free?? We do have free refills in the UK but not everywhere and I see it as a bonus rather than a god given right. Just my view.....
  • myofibril
    Options

Of course it is about personal responsibility in the main. However, what happens when that just doesn't work as a complete solution? Sometimes you need the stick as well as the carrot.

Does anyone really think that obesity rates are going to get better or worse without some kind of intervention in the market? Obesity is a classic example of market failure. Suppliers are rewarded for making people fat by over consumption of their products. What will they then rationally do? Find more ways for consumers to buy more or their products not less, making them fatter.

As for the slippery slope argument - it's simply emotional scare mongering. Is there any evidence that this kind of intervention will some how mushroom to such an extent that it leads to a police state? Errrrrr, no.
  • tabulator32
    Options

The horror!

Whilst I agree people should be able to eat/drink whatever they like, why should it be free?? We do have free refills in the UK but not everywhere and I see it as a bonus rather than a god given right. Just my view.....

Good point. Just for clarification, if a merchant WANTS to offer free refills to induce customers to come purchase food and drink from his business, he should be allowed to continue to offer this enticement. its the REGULATION of this that bothers me.

If a merchant does not want to offer it, he certainly does not have to do so...its THEIR business! They have that CHOICE.

I agree with a merchant charging for refills, too! If it is THEIR choice to do so.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options

The horror!

Good point. Just for clarification, if a merchant WANTS to offer free refills to induce customers to come purchase food and drink from his business, he should be allowed to continue to offer this enticement. its the REGULATION of this that bothers me.

If a merchant does not want to offer it, he certainly does not have to do so...its THEIR business! They have that CHOICE.

I agree with a merchant charging for refills, too! If it is THEIR choice to do so.

Yes I see your point, they should be able to have the choice!
  • Cimolestes
    Cimolestes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Telling us what/how much we can drink is just one tiny step toward our country becoming a communist nation....

So to a child's point of view, responsible parents are 'communist parents' becasue presumably they don't just allow them to eat everything and anything they want.
  • myofibril
    Options

One more thing before I have to go (I know this wasn't addressed to me but you make a good point so I have to stick my oar in ;)

Who do you think picks up the tab for the negative externality of increased social / health costs which accrue as a result of the merchant's production and inducements to buy? Is it the merchant? No. It is the tax payer.

Companies aren't some benign and benevolent benefactor who make these tasty treats out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it to maximise profits (which is no bad thing - I am a fan of the profit motive myself...) However, they try to conveniently side step the "hidden" social cost that their production causes and pass that cost on to to be picked up by the general population.

I'd love that choice myself...
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options

Do we??? I've never seen them. I thought they were an American thing?
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Who do you think picks up the tab for the negative externality of increased social / health costs which accrue as a result of the merchant's production and inducements to buy? Is it the merchant? No. It is the tax payer.

Companies aren't some benign and benevolent benefactor who make these tasty treats out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it to maximise profits (which is no bad thing - I am a fan of the profit motive myself...) However, they try to conveniently side step the "hidden" social cost that their production causes and pass that cost on to to be picked up by the general population.

I'd love that choice myself...

**claps**