Now they are going to ban free refills on drinks?

Options
directorj
directorj Posts: 537 Member
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/20/mass-mayor-suggests-ban-on-large-drinks-free-refills/

I think this is going way too far. I understand why they want too but seriously? Now the government wants to control how many refills we can drink?

Replies

• angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    We have a Vietnamese restaurant here that limits you to one refill. They won't even let you purchase a "second" drink! Once you've had two diet cokes, you are forced to switch to water!

: pout :
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    That sucks!!!! I love my diet coke
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    I say if someone feels like being unhealthy then so be it...
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    We have a Vietnamese restaurant here that limits you to one refill. They won't even let you purchase a "second" drink! Once you've had two diet cokes, you are forced to switch to water!

: pout :

You understand the fundamental difference between a restaurant owner saying no refills vs the government saying no refills right?
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Telling us what/how much we can drink is just one tiny step toward our country becoming a communist nation....
  • caitlinen
    caitlinen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Where I live most restaurants don't allow free refills. They don't sell drinks any bigger than the American sized Medium either. You are more than welcome to purchase another drink though.

I don't see anything wrong with banning free refills. If you want more than pay for it? They're not telling you that you can't have more.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking that poison years ago.
    Soda has ZERO nutritional quality. But when Big Brother steps in to regulate, I consider that worse.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Every time I hear a stupid idea like this, I am reminded to always vote Republican.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    I say if someone feels like being unhealthy then so be it...

They'll need us healthy and strong so that they can work us to death, though... :P
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree - the Government, or any organization, trying to control everything down to refills and drink sizes, is totally ridiculous. If people what people want to eat is their business
  • futuremalestripper
    Options
    Maybe we can end all of this by just having the government mail out rations to every person so they know what they are allowed to eat.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    Every time I hear a stupid idea like this, I am reminded to always vote Republican.

:flowerforyou:
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous. Personal responsibility, people! What will they be trying to control next?! :explode:
  • eena56
    eena56 Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Where I live most restaurants don't allow free refills. They don't sell drinks any bigger than the American sized Medium either. You are more than welcome to purchase another drink though.

I don't see anything wrong with banning free refills. If you want more than pay for it? They're not telling you that you can't have more.

Completely agree. It's mostly only in Northern American that you can get free refills. All of Europe you pay for what you drink. The government is only trying to take steps to encourage healthier lifestyles but you can still drink your litres of coke if you like. Let's not forget it's not a fundamental human right to get free soda!
  • brandiwells1
    brandiwells1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    agree
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Come to the UK where refills are rare, but we can buy as many glasses of fizzy drinks as we want even if they cost more than the alcoholic ones.
  • brandiwells1
    brandiwells1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I like this :laugh:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think this is more relevant in a country with free public health care?
  • futuremalestripper
    Options

Completely agree. It's mostly only in Northern American that you can get free refills. All of Europe you pay for what you drink. The government is only trying to take steps to encourage healthier lifestyles but you can still drink your litres of coke if you like. Let's not forget it's not a fundamental human right to get free soda!

So you support the idea of controlling what portion sizes a company can sell? Honestly, you're making people pay the fast food companies more money for less. So I guess it's a good deal for them. It's not like this excess funds goes to health care deficits. It's stupid and there is no logic to it. You are just lowering the value of your money at these places.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    NYC is going through this too thanks to Bloomburg. On one hand, how many people need a 44oz. Coke or two? But I get concerned when the governement steps in. I don't mind governments promoting physical fitness and making recommendations on healthy eating but when they start banning things, they need to be out of office. Bloomberg's tried this before with fried foods in NYC so I'm not surprised. Hopefully he gets removed in November.