Now they are going to ban free refills on drinks?

Replies

• Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    We have a Vietnamese restaurant here that limits you to one refill. They won't even let you purchase a "second" drink! Once you've had two diet cokes, you are forced to switch to water!

: pout :

You understand the fundamental difference between a restaurant owner saying no refills vs the government saying no refills right?

I definately do lol. See I just wouldn't go to the restaurant - even though I don't drink regular or diet soda haha ;)
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Telling us what/how much we can drink is just one tiny step toward our country becoming a communist nation....

Now tell me...How do you feel about the government restricting drugs and Narcotics?
  • So far it's just a suggestion/proposal, but eventually I do think it's going to happen. I don't like being told what to do but just the same as with the smoking ban, people will hate it for a while, then they'll get used to it. Some people will even find a way to get around it by buying multiple drinks (which should be sold for less money considering they won't allow free refills anymore).

You can't control what people put into their bodies. We will always find a way to continue being unhealthy, unfortunately. It may be more difficult but it'll still happen.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I only like to be told what to do in the bedroom...wait, not even there!
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 241 Member
    Every time I hear a stupid idea like this, I am reminded to always vote Republican.

^^^^ This!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Where I live most restaurants don't allow free refills. They don't sell drinks any bigger than the American sized Medium either. You are more than welcome to purchase another drink though.

I don't see anything wrong with banning free refills. If you want more than pay for it? They're not telling you that you can't have more.

Completely agree. It's mostly only in Northern American that you can get free refills. All of Europe you pay for what you drink. The government is only trying to take steps to encourage healthier lifestyles but you can still drink your litres of coke if you like. Let's not forget it's not a fundamental human right to get free soda!

It is a human right (or was) in our country to live in freedom, and for restaurants to have the freedom to offer consumers what they want - our states do have rights to make crazy messed up laws as long as they don't go against our constitution. I have the freedom not to live in or visit crazy messed up states. And your argument is a slipery slope - for example - in China you can have a second child as long as you can afford the 25,000 USD...if you like you can have the kids - but if you don't have the money Family Planning can come in and remove the child from a 7 month pregnant woman and murder it.

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/06/12/chinese-woman-seven-months-pregnant-becomes-victim-of-forced-abortion/
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Every time I hear a stupid idea like this, I am reminded to always vote Republican.

Mayor Bloomberg is currently independent, but was a member of the Republican party when he was elected mayor of New York City.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    This crap doesn't happen if you vote for people who don't want to control your life.
    People don't fall into these positions. They get elected there.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Considering what a soda actually costs a company (seriously around $0.10 a serving... about $0.25 with the cup included... at least that's what it was 10 years ago) to sell a soda, I don't blame a COMPANY for imposing this... however, it should not be the Governments responsibility to tell people what they should and should not put into their bodies....

And forget voting Republican... it's why I vote Libertarian.
  • futuremalestripper

Mayor Bloomberg is currently independent, but was a member of the Republican party when he was elected mayor of New York City.

Emphasis on Independent.

Edit Years back my hometown was going to blow $500,000 on a stupid display for "tourists" even though there were no tourists and it was nothing worth looking at. People petitioned it and shot it down. Maybe the citizens there need to make their voices heard as well.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member

Republicans come up with stupid ideas too. See Michael Bloomberg mayor of NYC and author of a very similar plan as the tool in the first post, elected as a Republican, currently independent.

Stupid knows no political party.

P.S. I am a registered Republican before the flames start coming my way.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Telling us what/how much we can drink is just one tiny step toward our country becoming a communist nation....

Now tell me...How do you feel about the government restricting drugs and Narcotics?

Pretty idiotic comparison. Maybe they should ban all junk food. No more junk food. Period. No desserts. Hell, no sugar. Forget the sugar industry. It makes people fat.

Give me a break comparing someone getting a refill of a beverage to doing cocaine (which, btw: since you did bring it up. When someone drinks a diet coke or seven they don't pose a threat to anyone getting behind the wheel of a car, caring for children, etc. however, when someone does cocaine, crack, marijuana, etc. their abilities are impaired. ARGUMENT FAIL!!!!!)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Come to the UK where refills are rare, but we can buy as many glasses of fizzy drinks as we want even if they cost more than the alcoholic ones.

I would say practically non existent. The only place I know that gives free refills is IKEA! Drinks are what restaurants make most of their money on, they're not going to give away their profits.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    I am putting my extra large foot down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: :noway: :laugh: :ohwell:
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Come to the UK where refills are rare, but we can buy as many glasses of fizzy drinks as we want even if they cost more than the alcoholic ones.

I would say practically non existent. The only place I know that gives free refills is IKEA! Drinks are what restaurants make most of their money on, they're not going to give away their profits.

That's the thing... my husband (the pop drinker of the family) rarely gets a refill anyway. By choice. But it's not the government's place to say he CAN'T!
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Where I live most restaurants don't allow free refills. They don't sell drinks any bigger than the American sized Medium either. You are more than welcome to purchase another drink though.

I don't see anything wrong with banning free refills. If you want more than pay for it? They're not telling you that you can't have more.

Completely agree. It's mostly only in Northern American that you can get free refills. All of Europe you pay for what you drink. The government is only trying to take steps to encourage healthier lifestyles but you can still drink your litres of coke if you like. Let's not forget it's not a fundamental human right to get free soda!

I will drink to that.:drinker: This is government's response to the rising rates of obesity in children and families. I think it is a good idea. The more soda that is offered to us FREE the more we drink. Cut us off. It reminds of the saying "everything free is not free. It will COST you something! Our health. The nation's health.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member

Stupid and a waste of taxpayer dollars... not to mentioning contributing to the massive amounts of violence and crowding of the jails. Oh and I also think prostitution should be legal.
  • futuremalestripper

Republicans come up with stupid ideas too. See Michael Bloomberg mayor of NYC and author of a very similar plan as the tool in the first post, elected as a Republican, currently independent.

Stupid knows no political party.

P.S. I am a registered Republican before the flames start coming my way.

I completely agree. Stupidity has no bounds.
    I just find that the stupdity rooted in controlling citizens lives USUALLY comes from one side in particular. But I agree, it can come from either.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,237 Member
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/20/mass-mayor-suggests-ban-on-large-drinks-free-refills/

I think this is going way too far. I understand why they want too but seriously? Now the government wants to control how many refills we can drink?

Umm...the keyword being FREE. Banning refills and banning FREE refills are 2 different things.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    tigerpalm.jpg
    You obviously have no idea what "communist" means.

As for the proposal, it's a crap idea. If companies want to give refills, let them. If they don't, let them. There are many, many, many more things the government should be focusing on.