Now they are going to ban free refills on drinks?

Options

Replies

• sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking that poison years ago.
    Soda has ZERO nutritional quality. But when Big Brother steps in to regulate, I consider that worse.

^ EXACTLY
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Come to the UK where refills are rare, but we can buy as many glasses of fizzy drinks as we want even if they cost more than the alcoholic ones.

I would say practically non existent. The only place I know that gives free refills is IKEA! Drinks are what restaurants make most of their money on, they're not going to give away their profits.

Burger king, subway, pizza hut, brewer's fayre all offer free refills. And I don't get out much
  • melissa_leah
    melissa_leah Posts: 107
    Options
    I don't agree.... I think it's a good idea.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    We have a Vietnamese restaurant here that limits you to one refill. They won't even let you purchase a "second" drink! Once you've had two diet cokes, you are forced to switch to water!

: pout :

You understand the fundamental difference between a restaurant owner saying no refills vs the government saying no refills right?

Yes, of course. I was not comparing the two.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Since we are using hyperbolic comparisions... I find this akin to gay marriage or abortion... if you don't like soda refills then don't get one.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    That sucks!!!! I love my diet coke

eww. you mean you love your drink that's capable of cleaning up blood off pavement and cement?
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the comments, so maybe this has been said...But with obamacare hanging out in the future somewhere, does anyone else think this is a ploy to get us healthier b/c of organized healthcare?

ETA- I personally think that adults should be able to eat and drink whatever they want, and that if this really takes off that we could lose a lot more than just soda.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    This issue makes me so upset. It's my opinion that this should NOT be a government regulation issue.

Are we going to start limiting how many cigarettes people can buy at one time?? Or say that people can't buy a case of beer? Lard is bad for you too, but they still sell that in the grocery store. Oh. Why don't we tell people that they can't go outside if they live in cities that have air pollution. Really???? Do these people have nothing better to do?

This is America... land of the FREE. I do not want MY government wasting its' time (and therefore, my tax dollars) discussing this kind of frivolous crap for even one minute. Luckily, we're still at the local level here, and not local to me, but don't even get me started on the topic of federal regulation of school lunches.

Really, there are bigger problems in the world. You can't hold everyone by the hand and lead them through life. People have to make their own decisions, with or without their diet soda.

<end rant>
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So just because you want something, it's supposed to be handed to you? Would you hand a kid his 5th piece of candy just because he "wants" it? Certainly would not "need" it.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

eww. you mean you love your drink that's capable of cleaning up blood off pavement and cement?
    Pretty sure baking soda does that too. But maybe not.
  • Jadzea42
    Jadzea42 Posts: 20
    Options
    I think they should just ban the artifical sweetners! And limit the Natural sweetners to 5 to 6 grams per serving. I do like how the Government stepped in for Smoking, It has made a difference in the Health of our nation. Limiting sugar will have an even bigger impact on healthcare.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If I want to live off of twinks and coke that is MY choice!!! Granted I believe we need education...but we don't need control!
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

THAT is EXACTLY what I mean!!!
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If I want to live off of twinks and coke that is MY choice!!! Granted I believe we need education...but we don't need control!

^^^THIS!!!!!!!!!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Come to the UK where refills are rare, but we can buy as many glasses of fizzy drinks as we want even if they cost more than the alcoholic ones.

I would say practically non existent. The only place I know that gives free refills is IKEA! Drinks are what restaurants make most of their money on, they're not going to give away their profits.

Burger king, subway, pizza hut, brewer's fayre all offer free refills. And I don't get out much

Oh right. I get out loads, but I never go to these places, so I didn't know.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Mayor Bloomberg is currently independent, but was a member of the Republican party when he was elected mayor of New York City.

Chaz Bono was born a woman but now is a man. What's your point?
  • amberlynyeager
    Options
    Telling us what/how much we can drink is just one tiny step toward our country becoming a communist nation....

I agree 100% with that statement. Also, people are going to do it if they want anyway, and the "government" telling us we can't do something that we've been doing forever, is going to want to make us do it even more.. Look at prohibition, I know this isn't as severe, but if you think about it.... Pretty much the same effect. Obesity is a problem, but the only way it's going to get fixed is by us, as individuals. The government can not control what goes in my mouth.
  • caitlinen
    caitlinen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Considering what a soda actually costs a company (seriously around $0.10 a serving... about $0.25 with the cup included... at least that's what it was 10 years ago) to sell a soda, I don't blame a COMPANY for imposing this... however, it should not be the Governments responsibility to tell people what they should and should not put into their bodies....

And forget voting Republican... it's why I vote Libertarian.

But it is the governments responsibility to take care of their people... and soda is extremely unhealthy.
    That's the thing... my husband (the pop drinker of the family) rarely gets a refill anyway. By choice. But it's not the government's place to say he CAN'T!

They're not saying he can't have a refill... just that he cannot have a FREE refill.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the comments, so maybe this has been said...But with obamacare hanging out in the future somewhere, does anyone else think this is a ploy to get us healthier b/c of organized healthcare?

ETA- I personally think that adults should be able to eat and drink whatever they want, and that if this really takes off that we could lose a lot more than just soda.

My first comment was on similar lines, but got totally missed