Scale number will move only when good & ready

Options

Replies

• Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm 64.0 kg now, down 0.4 kg since September 27. So that's a total loss of 1.8 since Sep 5.

I had a feeling the scale would move today as I had a complete rest day yesterday and also got taken into and picked up from work as my car was getting fixed and couldn't walk. I'll have to get a bit more strict with the calories though as this week three times I ate in the 2200's. Today is AFL grand final day and hopefully I won't eat too much. My team are in it.

Last week I averaged 2059, this week 2155. Loss of 400 grams in 1 week. Im also listening to my body and won't let myself get too hungry. I do find though that after dinner and my calories are gone I can still be hungry and I don't like that feeling, but I guess I need to get used to it.
  • Erinsmiles2015
    Erinsmiles2015 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How do you compare/measure inches? Should I invest in a measuring tape?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    How do you compare/measure inches? Should I invest in a measuring tape?

Definitely get yourself a measuring tape, they cost pence :smile:
    Although you'll know by your clothes, they'll get looser/ fit better.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    This time around I'm just going by clothes fit and taking 2 monthly photos. I know what needs to be done and can tell if I'm being successful.

Measuring tape is good too but won't always show a result. You might lose fat in a different spot.

Use all the tools, measuring tape, photos, clothes fit, scale, take note of people's positive comments they can tell you are losing weight. If you can afford to have dexa scans.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    This time around I'm just going by clothes fit and taking 2 monthly photos. I know what needs to be done and can tell if I'm being successful.

Measuring tape is good too but won't always show a result. You might lose fat in a different spot.

Use all the tools, measuring tape, photos, clothes fit, scale, take note of people's positive comments they can tell you are losing weight. If you can afford to have dexa scans.

^This! So true some weeks the scale is notnot moving and neither there is an inch loss, but I feel I am thinner and clothes feel looser. It's so weird!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Yep! That's why it's so handy having all those tools at your disposal so if one method like the tape isn't showing improvement then something else will. It helps to keep you motivated and encouraged. Also if you haven't seen a friend in a 2-3 months it's a great boost as they will notice the changes.

I tried on my fitted team singlet on the weekend and its getting looser, fitting better now. I'll start wearing it again in a months time, I'm not quite as comfy as I'd like as when I relax my tummy I can see it sticking out a bit too far. So I'll try it on in a month and reassess. I stopped wearing it in July as it was too tight. :smile:
  • Kim55555
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This past week I think I ate at about a 5 % defecit. I averaged 2188 :neutral: Hopefully I lost some fat.

I'll have to try harder to eat closer to 2000 this week! It was tough this last week as I've felt hungry. Maybe I need to embrace a bit of hunger and not be frightened of it/not give in to it and then I'll get used to eating less and being a little hungry at the end of the day. I need to remind myself that it's good to be a little hungry, it means it's working!

I'll have to try to tweak things a bit so I can get my calories down a bit as well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @kim55555 you know what, I think it does us a bit of good to hunger ourselves sometimes, alot of the time its just a notion that we want to eat. I would drink a large glass of water when that happens and 9 times out of 10 I was just thirsty.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Yeah sometimes it's the water we want. I've had 1900 calories hopefully that's it for me tonight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @kim55555 you're doing great, have a cuppa if necessary and go to bed knowing you've had a good day :smile:
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Yey!! I did it! Had just 1900. I had more water with my dinner than I usually do and that did the trick. I only had an apple and banana after. I stopped eating by 8 and went to bed at 10 and wasn't hungry. :smiley:
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Yeah... Sometimes we eat more than what our bodies really need and it's not always because we are hungry. Sometimes it's out of boredom, sometimes we have gotten so used to overeating as its a way of life in your family. I'll make sure I drink water before during and after dinner from now on and that should help.

I saw my exercise physiologist yesterday at work she gave me some tips. She said eat more during the day and you won't feel as hungry at night. She also suggested green tea if I'm still a little hungry at night.
  • Kim55555
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Wow I had 1773 calories yesterday and didn't feel hungry! I couldn't believe it! It must be the extra water I'm thinking. So I walked a total of around 1 hour and a quarter during the day and at night I did my 800 metre sprints and 100 metres sprints. Scale is on the low side again at 64.2. :smiley:

Hopefully I can pull it off again today. Hoping to have found the key
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @kim55555 yes what did I tell ya, extra water does help stave of hunger!! I've found that to be the case over and over. I was similar yesterday, 1720 cals and around 8pm I felt hunger start to strike, I did a strength workout, drank a large glass of water and the notion to eat went away. I had a cup of tea just before bed and I was done :smile: (I still find the need to stick to 1700-1850 cals during the week as I enjoy extra eating at the weekend far too much to try and hone it in - but this works for me :) )

Glad the scale is playing ball, this is the week in the month when I see a new lower weight so fingers crossed - although the scales are looking very favourable already, even with bad DOMS which we all know affect that reading.

You're doing great! :smile:
  • Kim55555
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @kim55555 yes what did I tell ya, extra water does help stave of hunger!! I've found that to be the case over and over. I was similar yesterday, 1720 cals and around 8pm I felt hunger start to strike, I did a strength workout, drank a large glass of water and the notion to eat went away. I had a cup of tea just before bed and I was done :smile: (I still find the need to stick to 1700-1850 cals during the week as I enjoy extra eating at the weekend far too much to try and hone it in - but this works for me :) )

Glad the scale is playing ball, this is the week in the month when I see a new lower weight so fingers crossed - although the scales are looking very favourable already, even with bad DOMS which we all know affect that reading.

You're doing great! :smile:

Thanks. Yeah still I'm gobsmacked!! Haha who would've thought! Wish I'd known sooner but better late than never!

I'm looking forward to losing at a decent pace. Hopefully around 1/2 a kg per week loss to begin with which what will be a 15- 20 % defecit.

Ah yes, green tea, good option! Ill take some to work.

Yeah I might follow your lead when I get closer to goal and eat around 1800 each weekday and then if I'm going out 1 night i can eat 23 or even 2500 calories and the calorie average will all even out. I think you've got it down pat. :smile:

I'm starting to think that my tdee is really not as high as I first thought. I think it's around the 2300. Ive realised we humans really don't need all that much to sustain us, to maintain our functions! In the past I've been the product of a family of over eaters and when I say over eaters I don't mean huge amounts of food or anything just a few extra snacks. I think my dad who grew up in tough times enjoys his food and over eats because he is subconsciously concerned there won't be enough food to go around. Its in grained in him! He eats all the time. Always walking into the kitchen lol. He had a gastric sleeve. Lost 3/4 of what he needed to (he was around 30 kg overweight) but put back some weight. I'm surprised he's not put it all back on yet. He has to be careful though because he is heading that way. Because he has a small stomach he can only eat small amounts at a time so he eats like every alf hour, so silly. I've counted when I visit haha.

I hard boiled some eggs whilst eating my inner thinking I'd enjoy a nice hot one after but I didn't end up eating it as I was satisfied. In the past I would have eaten one but I didn't this time as the water did the trick, all I had the rest of the night was a kiwi fruit and probably didn't even need that but felt like the taste.

Cool hope you see a nice low number :wink: Mine should drop in a few days again I'm thinking.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    yeah our family are fairly big eaters as well, alot of home made bread and lovely baking always on hand and I'm no better, I'm turning into my mum as I now bake every week too lol - but I don't EAT what I bake, oh I will sample a little bit of something but I bake as a treat for when my boys visit for dinner on the weekends - I like them to come home to good home cooked food and a treat for afters.

It has taken time for me to be able to stop myself eating what I make, but the calories are just not worth it. I find if I take a sample of it then thats all I want.

Wont your dad need to watch with his gastric band that he doesn't now overeat??

Eating can be such a habit and it takes years to change our habits overall but we'll just keeping working on them a day at a time.

Green tea is very pleasant to drink and when the weathers cooler, its easier to drink than ice cold water. There is caffeine in it though so thats worth a watching. I also like Camomile or Jasmine teas, even some fruit ones are very nice.

Have a lovely day :)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Wooohooo. I'm back into the 63's! I'm 63.5 today. It's day 2 of my period too which from memory I'm usually heavier at this time of the month. So that's a loss of 1/2 a kg in 7 days. So far I've averaged 1821 calories for the week. :smiley:
  • Kim55555
    edited October 2015
    Options
    yeah our family are fairly big eaters as well, alot of home made bread and lovely baking always on hand and I'm no better, I'm turning into my mum as I now bake every week too lol - but I don't EAT what I bake, oh I will sample a little bit of something but I bake as a treat for when my boys visit for dinner on the weekends - I like them to come home to good home cooked food and a treat for afters.

It has taken time for me to be able to stop myself eating what I make, but the calories are just not worth it. I find if I take a sample of it then thats all I want.

Wont your dad need to watch with his gastric band that he doesn't now overeat??

Eating can be such a habit and it takes years to change our habits overall but we'll just keeping working on them a day at a time.

Green tea is very pleasant to drink and when the weathers cooler, its easier to drink than ice cold water. There is caffeine in it though so thats worth a watching. I also like Camomile or Jasmine teas, even some fruit ones are very nice.

Have a lovely day :)

Re:baking Wow your strong! I don't think I could pull that off, just a bit of sampling. I guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses hey.

Yeah that's what my dad "should" be doing but he doesn't. He overeats all the time.

Yeah that's for sure! Eating is an ingrained habit. I have to be careful if I do go for dinner and stay a few hours after to not join in with the others with their after dinner snacking.

Mmmmm yum on my way home I was so excited to see all the summer fruits out. I bought some strawberries, mango, locuts, plums. I was going to buy some apricots but I thought I already had enough stuff. I polished off the whole mango it was so yummy. 250 calories haha. I weighed it. 600 gram minus the skin and pip is 400 grams. I didn't realise it would be that many calories but was worth it... Was delicious.

Have a great weekend! I'm taking my bike in for a service today. On Wednesday there's a ride to work day event on. Thousands from Perth go. I think I'll start including a ride or two a week to work. On the opposite days that I'll be running. It's about a 45 min ride from home. I'll have to be careful though not to do too much and burn myself out
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Morning @Kim55555 :) I guess I am strong, wasn't always like that either but habits change and I have to watch how much I eat, always will have to be careful so I make the best of it.

I'm glad you're enjoying all that lovely fruit.

Hope that the biking went well :)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    So I've decided to go by a 6 weekly trend rather than a 5 weekly trend. I've lost just over 3/4 of a kg in the past 6 weeks. 800 grams.

My pattern is I lose some scale weight & then a little more a few days later or a week later. It happens all in the space of 1 week!

Then the scale trends upwards. Feb 5 was day 1 of my last period and I was at my upper range for approx 1 and a 1/2 weeks. Feb 15 was the day I got to my new low of 57.9 kg.

I should get my next period around about March 5 and a few days leading up to it and the week during my period my scale will be at its highest again! Im hoping my high scale weight (will be at a new low) in the 59's next time. Hoping not to see it in the 60's.

Then approx 1 & 1/2 to 2 weeks after day 1 of my period I shall again see the low end of my scale range and hopefully a new low scale weight. Last time it took 10 days to see the new number of 57.9 kg after day 1 of my period was 60.0 kg.

I have to keep reminding myself that my body will only ever lose the weight in the space of one week and that I need to look at the 6 weekly pattern oh and also not to freak out every time my body stays in the high end of the range due to the time of the month.

So I will see my lowest weight again in the middle of march about 1 and a half weeks after day 1 of my period.

:smiley:

Day 5 now. I've been 63.5 - 64.2 since October 9. Going by my above notes my scale will go down in approx 5-10 days!

I'm doing well since i started drinking more water with my dinner.

Oct 5 - Oct 11 - 1860 weekly average

I'm enjoying my running. I did a timed 400 metre sprints & nearly made myself throw up haha. Judging by my times I'll be fitter than I was for te start of pre season training. Ran Three 400 metre sprints (with 1 min rest in between) in 7 min 39 sec. My record last season was 6 min 53. My goal is to get it to 6 min 30 and then maybe lower. Anyway I'm keeping my exercise/fitness goals separate to my calorie needs. Although it is handy to get that extra calorie burn on the days I run (on top of my walking o and from work) my running doesn't impact the amount of food and my behaviour towards food & exercise. Before around a couple of years ago I would long distance bike with the intention of burning as many calories as possible, and also to get fit but now I do my running with the main intention of getting fit. 1800-1900 seems to be enough for me which is great.

That's cool @RunRutheeRun Ruthee and I need to remind myself constantly I have a job to do. Not to turn to food for comfort/entertainment and to 90 % of time use it just to fuel my performance and life & I should be fine. When I get close to around 57 if there are events coming up every now and then I'll eat a little over but try hard 90 % of the time to stay under a 2300 average and my weight will be stable. I look at it this way we don't really have other options. It's either maintain or let ourselves go and get fat lol :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!