Scale number will move only when good & ready

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    @skinny4me2be I do actually think I know what caused the flare up, circuit training which involved a lot of side planks, I didn't know it at the time but I was putting a lot of stress on my hips doing those with heavier weights.
    I did a slow jog this morning, kept going saying I felt ok, the niggly ache started near the end so I stopped. An hour later the twinge is constant!! I really should NOT have done that exercise this morning and I'm cross with myself for pushing on!! why dont I learn!!! and I'm too embarrassed to post on my newsfeed what a dufus I am! so much for feeling better eh!

As for you and the sodium, some weeks are going to be like that, sometimes out of our hands if we're eating out more. You know its not real gain, you know it so just try not to let it bother you. Drink your water, keep on going and in a few days you'll see the scale back down again and hopefully another nice loss.
    Enjoy your girls weekend, it'll be a lot of fun I should think :smile:
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun Oh hun!!! OUCH!! I feel the pain for you. Please-do take care of you. Let your body heal girl!! :smile: I shouldn't talk. I'm the same way with my tendinitis in my shoulder. I think its ok, so I press on then its soar for a few days. When will we learn? :smiley: Take it easy this weekend.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the sodium thing. The scale is holding steady and its kinda making me nervous but I'll keep pushing on.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @skinny4me2be I'm not sure we do ever learn lol - Its just so difficult when we're used to getting on with it. The pain has eased up as the day as gone on thankfully.

Glad the scale is holding steady, it does make me nervous too when I see it go up, it makes us doubt that we're doing ok - but we are, YOU are, so just keep going :smile: ).
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    @Kim55555 the pics should insert ok if using laptop/computer, it's when using mobile app I don't think it works.

I'll upload once I have my home computer set up. The work one I'm having issues with. I'm currently typing with 2 fingers using my iPad. What a pain :(
  • Kim55555
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun‌ you should try hydrotherapy deep water running. Awesome high intensity workout, no impact! You can get your heart rate right up there!!!

@skinny4me2be‌ how's things going for you?

Here's my update

I had my measurements taken. Half a cm loss off my hips. :smile: 4 cm gain on my waist (due to the bloating - that time of the month). I scheduled my next appointment for 5 weeks time, 1 week after my period ends lol.

Another thing I learned. I told the exercise physiologist about my goal to get to 25 % body fat and that to accomplish that I would need to get to 56.5 kg. She said its not true and that I could get to a lower body fat percentage and not even change in scale weight! I think I'm giving too much importance to that scale number! From now on I will have 3 monthly Dexa scan to track my progress. I think I'll eventually end up at 57 kg but not sure how long it will take but that's ok.

Since Christmas time have eaten:

Week 1 2107
    Week 2 2260
    Week 3 2129
    Week 4 2131
    Week 5 2196
    Week 6 2068
    Week 7 2110
    Week 8 2065

It's been 8 weeks now eating mostly between 2100-2200 gross weekly calories and I have done well still losing fat on what I'm guessing was a 5-10 % defecit.

I'm now wanting to increase my defecit a bit so as to lose a bit faster. So I've set myself to eat approx 1950 Gross calories which will be a more moderate 10 - 20 % defecit. I'm going to eat this amount for the next 3 months and then have a breather for 8 weeks eating at just a small defecit.

I know it will take a couple of weeks to get used to eating less and at times I will feel a little hungry but I'll deal with it. I started Feb 12. :smile:

• LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @Kim55555 I think when we put our minds into eating a bit less we do ok, it takes a day or two getting into the swing of it.
    I've never took measurements during TOM, probably just as well lol...scales going up us bad enough at that time!

I am not back to full capacity which means reduced cals for me, which is fine any day but Saturday when we have take away and usually a dessert too! Today I am going to be at 2300. I'll try to keep under 1900 rest of the days.

• Kim55555
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm into the 57's !!! I'm 57.9 kg !!! I lost 0.5 kg. My previous low was 58.4 kg on Jan 9. :smile:

It took 5 weeks to lose my last 0.5 kg eating between 2050 - 2200 gross calories.

Wow!! Imagine being able to eat that amount of food and still lose weight !!! I'm so glad I have documented and continue to document my journey and keep good records!

Goal for the next 3 months is to keep my calories below 2000 now. Aiming for 1950 but if I do slip up occasionally and eat more I know I will be able to still keep losing. Wow I still can't believe I'm 57. something!! Ive been fighting so hard to get here!! You sure do need a lot of patience with that blasted scale haha
  • Kim55555
    Options
    @Kim55555 I think when we put our minds into eating a bit less we do ok, it takes a day or two getting into the swing of it.
    I've never took measurements during TOM, probably just as well lol...scales going up us bad enough at that time!

I am not back to full capacity which means reduced cals for me, which is fine any day but Saturday when we have take away and usually a dessert too! Today I am going to be at 2300. I'll try to keep under 1900 rest of the days.

Yeah I've found I'm doing fine. I'll remind myself the first couple of weeks transition period can be hard but then you get used to it.

Good luck with your eating plan. You have done well in learning how to balance out what you take in with how much your expending and also being strict with yourself.

Last night I went out with the girls. When we left to go home, all around me were kebabs, pizzas, hamburgers and it would've been nice to have some pizza I told the girl next to me. She said have one. I said nah, I don't need it, I've had my calories for today. It was 12.30 am at night. :smiley:
  • Kim55555
    Options
    strive58 wrote: »
    Well, you made me feel better, I have worked at being very fit over the last year and a half and have only lost 21 pounds but my body has changed greatly. Our brains are wired to think pounds. I have to constantly remind myself to think differently. The only thing that discourages me is the scale so trying to avoid it for now (don't know if I can do it forever).

Hi, nice to hear from you :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    I'm into the 57's !!! I'm 57.9 kg !!! I lost 0.5 kg. My previous low was 58.4 kg on Jan 9. :smile:

It took 5 weeks to lose my last 0.5 kg eating between 2050 - 2200 gross calories.

Wow!! Imagine being able to eat that amount of food and still lose weight !!! I'm so glad I have documented and continue to document my journey and keep good records!

Goal for the next 3 months is to keep my calories below 2000 now. Aiming for 1950 but if I do slip up occasionally and eat more I know I will be able to still keep losing. Wow I still can't believe I'm 57. something!! Ive been fighting so hard to get here!! You sure do need a lot of patience with that blasted scale haha

Happy scale dance for you :smile: such wonderful progress and good job saying no to midnight snack!
  • valley2mtn
    valley2mtn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your stories! This is exactly what I have been dealing with the last 2-3 months. The inches are coming off and people are noticing I'm smaller, but the scale numbers just don't want to move! It gets discouraging and I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I was even tempted to stop exercising long enough for me to get a few pounds off, but then I realized that my logic wasn't making sense... Stop exercising so I can lose weight? So I'm keeping everything the same and trying to be patient. So good to know that others are dealing with the same problem, but that it will finally reflect on the scale!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Nice to hear from you! Yes you will find you will go through stages of no scale movement for weeks or months on end and then all of a sudden you'll drop like crazy. You just have to be very patient.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I just lost another 0.3 kg

I'm 57.6 kg now! :smile: 6 days ago I was 57.9 kg and over the past 6 days my calorie average was 2148. The previous week I managed to average 2038. Haha so much for trying to stick to a 1950 calorie average. Too hard lol. This bod of mine demands more food. I will still try to eat under 2000 as much as I can though.

I'm just going to keep going until the scale stops moving for good. Maybe I can get to 55 kg!!! Never in my wildet dreams have I ever thought id make it to 55 kg!!! but it's looking like a real possibility. Last time in 2012 I stopped once I hit 57.3 and did a metabolic reset so I never did get to see what number I could get to. I still do have some tummy fat I'd like to shed. If it takes another year I don't care, I'm in no rush!

Also one of the reasons Im striving for that number rather than just a body fat % number is the fact that the lower I weigh the easier it will be on my joints when I run! My knees take a good few days now to recover from the jumping around that we do at footy training.

How is everyone else going ? :smile:
  • Kim55555
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So I've decided to go by a 6 weekly trend rather than a 5 weekly trend. I've lost just over 3/4 of a kg in the past 6 weeks. 800 grams.

My pattern is I lose some scale weight & then a little more a few days later or a week later. It happens all in the space of 1 week!

Then the scale trends upwards. Feb 5 was day 1 of my last period and I was at my upper range for approx 1 and a 1/2 weeks. Feb 15 was the day I got to my new low of 57.9 kg.

I should get my next period around about March 5 and a few days leading up to it and the week during my period my scale will be at its highest again! Im hoping my high scale weight (will be at a new low) in the 59's next time. Hoping not to see it in the 60's.

Then approx 1 & 1/2 to 2 weeks after day 1 of my period I shall again see the low end of my scale range and hopefully a new low scale weight. Last time it took 10 days to see the new number of 57.9 kg after day 1 of my period was 60.0 kg.

I have to keep reminding myself that my body will only ever lose the weight in the space of one week and that I need to look at the 6 weekly pattern oh and also not to freak out every time my body stays in the high end of the range due to the time of the month.

So I will see my lowest weight again in the middle of march about 1 and a half weeks after day 1 of my period.

:smiley:

• Kim55555
    Options
    My manager has implemented a workplace weight loss challenge so as to prevent the upcoming flu season in June. We are competing in teams :neutral_face: Somehow I don't think she will have much success in changing people!

I'll have to be careful not to get myself in trouble. People might think I'm big noting myself when all ill be doing is being enthusiastic and trying to encourage.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @Kim55555 good job on yet another loss, 6 weekly makes sense and I'm seeing similar patterns. ..it takes a lot of patience but it works :smile:

Excellent update as usual :smiley:
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Kim55555!!! That's amazing! So proud and happy for you!!!

I had a ruff week last week. Even tho I have had a partial hyster over 6mo ago I still have hormone fluctuations..last week was terrible. Stayed within my calorie range and the scale continually creeped up! This week I am still keeping my calorie range, focussing on eating more protein and veggies. Scale is continually trending downward back to where it was. But scale is taking its time along withmy body. Starting to notice a trend with this..every so Often this will happen. Body just goes crazy. So I am learning to adjust and deal with it. Such is life!

Anyhow so happy for you! Lee up the great work!!!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Congratulations Kim55555!!! That's amazing! So proud and happy for you!!!

I had a ruff week last week. Even tho I have had a partial hyster over 6mo ago I still have hormone fluctuations..last week was terrible. Stayed within my calorie range and the scale continually creeped up! This week I am still keeping my calorie range, focussing on eating more protein and veggies. Scale is continually trending downward back to where it was. But scale is taking its time along withmy body. Starting to notice a trend with this..every so Often this will happen. Body just goes crazy. So I am learning to adjust and deal with it. Such is life!

Anyhow so happy for you! Lee up the great work!!!

thanks, ditto to you too. Thats good that your taking notice of the trend. Main/important thing is a downward trend over time. I think that is the key to keeping your sanity hey, to focus on the pattern. :)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    @Kim55555 good job on yet another loss, 6 weekly makes sense and I'm seeing similar patterns. ..it takes a lot of patience but it works :smile:

Excellent update as usual :smiley:

thanks. Thats cool, yep 6 weekly is the way to go! Are you at the low end of the scale now?

• Kim55555
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been struggling eating the 1950 I set myself to eat. Last week I averaged 2205.

The last 2 days I ate 2541 (did a 90 minute hilly bike ride) and yesterday ate 2522 (walked to and from work and at lunch time totalling 120 minutes and I did 45 minutes heavy full body weights, plus a bit of walking activity at work. I'm hoping I had at least a 100 - 200 calorie defecit on those 2 days but i'm not sure.

I really want to eat the 1950 calories. I'll have a look at the foods i'm eating and do some tweeking. Feel free to chip in if you have any ideas/tips for me.

Here is an average day for me

Breakfast

greek yoghurt 90 grams
    chia seeds 20 grams
    almonds 18

coffee
    milk
    brown sugar

Mid morning Snack
    Avocado 70 grams
    tuna 95 grams
    1 egg white
    plain salad (no dressing)
    mushrooms (plain)
    small apple

Lunch
    coffee
    milk
    brown sugar

Avocado 80 grams
    smoked salmon 90 grams
    salad (plain)
    mushrooms (plain)
    1 egg white

Afternoon snack
    1 egg

coffee
    milk
    brown sugar

Dinner
    usually something lean, lean meat, or lean chicken breast, smoked salmon, sometimes sushi, salad, sometimes

After dinner snacks (which i really need to cut down on)
    Sometimes
    Ryvita with margarine and reduced fat cheese
    or fruit

I log the salad as 35 calories, the mushrooms as 35 calories. So If I'm having salad and mushroom 3 times a day that adds up to 210 calories (these are really neutral calories that maybe I shouldn't even be logging)

I need to ween off the brown sugar. I went cold turkey off the artificial sweetener (equal) and now have the brown sugar instead. I'm hoping to eliminiate brown sugar eventually.

Maybe I could cut down on my avocado by half. I could also cut the chia seeds down by half and the almonds down by half, cut the brown sugar down by half. This could be a start! What do you think?

:)

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!