Grammar Is Dead, Long Live Grammar Nerds

Options
_binary_jester_
_binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/06/grammar-dead-long-live-grammar-nerds/53749/

I know, I know. Leave us alone you say. The people who care about grammar will be the ones who read this. The people who do not will go back to their browsing of icanhascheezburger.com.
Admittedly, when I am on my phone, I am not as stringent in my proofreading. I tend to skip words and fail to double check what my phone has automatically inserted.
But in a business setting, my grammar will be impeccable.

Replies

• GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I would love to share that on every social media site around! My name is Gretchen, and I am a grammar nerd!!!
  • erinn83bis
    Options
    Grammar Nerds unite!
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    long live correct grammer!!!!!!!!!!
  • xoEmmyBxo
    xoEmmyBxo Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree!
    But... :blushing: I also love the icanhascheezburger.com.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up on this thread. I too take short cuts on texting and social media. Work - professional and correct all the way!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i no can haz grammah AND cheezburger?
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Nice article. I, too, am a grammar nerd. Actually, I just know how to write and speak in my native language (English). So, if that makes me a nerd, then so be it.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    God Bless You! Long live standards!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Would someone copy this for me? The webpage isn't loading properly.

ETA: Never mind. It's finally loaded.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Did not know #4! :embarassed: :laugh:
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I'm a sucker for a well-placed semi-colon.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    My grammar is not perfect but I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to correct me. It's how we learn. So thank you and hug a grammar Nazi today!

ETA: Though I have to take issue with #6. "The word whom deserves a defender." -Liz Lemon
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    long live correct grammer!!!!!!!!!!

And spellings...!
  • cmp_denver
    cmp_denver Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love it! I've been accused of being the grammar police one or twice.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    I like the distinction between the two.

I also tell my kids, "First impressions are important, but what comes out of your mouth leaves an indelible mark."
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/06/grammar-dead-long-live-grammar-nerds/53749/

I know, I know. Leave us alone you say. The people who care about grammar will be the ones who read this. The people who do not will go back to their browsing of icanhascheezburger.com.
    Admittedly, when I am on my phone, I am not as stringent in my proofreading. I tend to skip words and fail to double check what my phone has automatically inserted.
    But in a business setting, my grammar will be impeccable.

And there in lay the difference...Those with no perception have none.
  • queenofgrey
    queenofgrey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Considering writing is my profession, I will forever love posts such as these. :)
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    My grammar is not perfect but I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to correct me. It's how we learn. So thank you and hug a grammar Nazi today!
    Get your hand off of my dangling participle.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Grammer and spelling, for all intensive purposes, are important life skills with no acceptions to the rule, even though we are here to loose alot of weight we should still take it into consternation.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I can let certain things slide as I can be lazy sometimes too - for example shortening words for texting purposes.

On the other hand though, there are things that just make me cringe!

Continually seeing words that are incorrect like 'Loose' and 'Grammer' is similar to having an itch that I just can't reach to scratch! :laugh: