Grammar Is Dead, Long Live Grammar Nerds

Options

Replies

• payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have been known to post this on Facebook from time to time: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Let's eat Grandma!

Let's eat, Grandma!

Commas save lives.

This is great! :laugh:
    Long Live Grammar
    and Long Live Grandma!
  • p_e_wright
    p_e_wright Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My BOSS, who is the Director of our department, has HORRIBLE grammar and spelling! It's atrocious and embarrassing! I'm not always 100% accurate but, if I'm unsure, I will look it up when it's important.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Did not know #4! :embarassed: :laugh:
    I am as shocked as you!
    Canada Geese, however, do exist.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic. I have had this conversation so many times over the course of the last couple of years. Texting and the internet is dumbing down our society. It's bad enough when people use poor grammar online and in texts, but I cringe when coworkers send emails using things such as LOL, u instead of you, r instead of are, or 2 instead of two. Additionally, I am irked when I see texting language in ads around the city. In my opinion, it's not trendy and hip to spell lazily. I do not want to buy a product more because the marketers are talking down to me and using sideways smiley faces in the ads when they could quite easily use upright smiley faces or, Allah willing, an actual face that isn't a colon and a parenthesis.

Long live Grammar! Let's start a revolution!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Grammer & Spelling were surely the Hollywood dream-team of the 90s that never was! :noway:

I'm sure there was a pitch for Seattle 98102 that's lying unread in someone's drawer.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I fully admit to my grammar nazi tendencies. I can understand all the abbreviation usage typing a text. In business, email or posts they become incredibly annoying. If I need a decoder to figure out what someone is trying to say, I am no longer interested. Typos <or typographical errors> don't make me crazy. Poorly constructed sentences, lack of punctuation and constant misuse of words just feel like a sharp stick in my brain.

My name is Alicia and I'm a judgmental grammar nerd :blushing:

I don't mind typos either. But nothing gets me more than an obviously fake "It was a typo!" reply to pointing out multiple spelling and grammatical errors.

My name is Pjay, and I'm a judgmental grammar nerd. :tongue:
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A member of my staff once called me "The Comma Queen" due to my habit of adding missing commas into our press releases etc. and sent me a whole e-mail full of nothing but pages of commas saying "Surely you must have run out of them by now!" and as you can see I have. :)

(Okay, that was almost physically painful to write, and it's going to be even worse to hit "post reply"...)
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I LOVE this! I just quit teaching English in April, so this is near and dear to my heart :heart: .
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Grammar geek here too! I'm a technical writer, so this is my LIFE!
  • helencita13
    helencita13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    <--- Fellow Grammar Nazi.

I have been teaching my husband the difference in 'their, there, or they're' for so long..it's frustrating me! I go insane from all the idiots on facebook that use your instead of you're.

And supposubly instead of supposedly?!?!

1319031357076_1867873.png
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is when people tell me "Your welcome" in an email. I always want to reply: "My welcome what????"

Ugh..I hate it when people fail elementry grammar!!

Your vs. You're
    Their/They're/There
    To/Too/Two

"I Borrowed that rake to the neighbor" WHA??? Umm...no, she borrowed it FROM you! You LOANED it to her!! Grrr....

Okay...off my tangent now...
  • FitLink
    Options
    I do my best with spelling and grammar. Computers and texting have killed spelling, grammar and handwriting.

I don't think we can blame technology. I may be biased because I'm the biggest computer geek this side of the Mississippi, but I don't believe it's because of computer use. Even when I was in school (back in the early days of man--LOL) people would always ask professors in science classes "do spelling and grammar count? Even then, I wondered why spelling and grammar should only matter in English classes, but I kept my mouth shut. Very few professors down-graded for spelling and grammar errors (though a few did) and that never seemed right. Aren't spelling and grammar all about clear communication? WOuldn't clear communication be very important in science? We didn't have computers, but students in my day didn't care about spelling and grammar!

And I really do see a need for LOL or something like it until we develop the <just_kidding></just_kidding>, <sarcasm></sarcasm>, and <snark></snark> tags in HTML.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    "My bad" What? Bad use of the English language?

Well and good
    Then and than
    They're, their, and there
    Your and you're

"Real good food" Well, I didn't think it was virtual!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I don't think we can blame technology. I may be biased because I'm the biggest computer geek this side of the Mississippi, but I don't believe it's because of computer use.
    Are you serious? Have you not taken note of the rapid decline in the English language since texting and using social media on the internet has taken off over the last decade? Yes, it may not be fully to blame, but it clearly has played the biggest role in feeding it like a cancerous tumor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    I will freely admit I'm a grammar nerd! I was a nerd in school and that hasn't changed. I just look better now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FitLink
    Options
    I became a Wikipedia editor solely to do copyediting. I'm in the Guild of Copyeditors there. I've never written a Wikipedia article; I only copyedit.
    (Note the proper use of the semicolon! My mom would be so proud!)
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I will freely admit I'm a grammar nerd! I was a nerd in school and that hasn't changed. I just look better now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^ Agreed! I have always been nerd when it came to grammar and vocabulary :) I always correct my friends (which they find annoying sometimes lol) and I was known as the "Human Dictionary" in school haha!
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Nice article. I, too, am a grammar nerd. Actually, I just know how to write and speak in my native language (English). So, if that makes me a nerd, then so be it.

^THAT^ Ha! I have always loved the English language and I really detest when others take being able to speak properly for granted. I wouldn't allow my wife to speak "baby talk" to our daughter. Hate that! Speak to them and they will eventually understand.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Did not know #4! :embarassed: :laugh:
    I am as shocked as you!
    Canada Geese, however, do exist.

Canadian Geese exist, too. Any goose from Canada is a Canadian Goose. However, the Canada Goose is a specific type of goose, and therefore isn't Canadian unless it's from Canada. See the difference?

Also, number six is dead wrong. "Whom" is an object and should always be used as such. Using it is NOT archaic, although it's a bit ignorant to be used as a pronoun.

Grammar nazis FTW!